Trying to setup 1000.2 EA on 61.5 & 72.7

mcasdorph

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
WV, USA
OK, created this new thread since the Dish is a 1000.2 and not a 1000.4 as originally thought, I bought the new DPP Twin lnb for the 1000.2 and installed it. I'm trying for 61.5 & 72.7, I set the skew and elevation for my location using a Dish PDF for installing the 1000.2 EA & WA, the skew and elevation coordinates are giving me a wrong satellite, when panning its showing I have 61.5 coming into the 72.7 lnb, why are the coordinates wrong? I can't check dishpointer as they do know show 1000.2 EA for some reason and none of my sat pointing apps are helpful. I do have my feed cable in port 1 for 72.7

Reactions: sunelec
OK, created this new thread since the Dish is a 1000.2 and not a 1000.4 as originally thought, I bought the new DPP Twin lnb for the 1000.2 and installed it. I'm trying for 61.5 & 72.7, I set the skew and elevation for my location using a Dish PDF for installing the 1000.2 EA & WA, the skew and elevation coordinates are giving me a wrong satellite, when panning its showing I have 61.5 coming into the 72.7 lnb, why are the coordinates wrong? I can't check dishpointer as they do know show 1000.2 EA for some reason and none of my sat pointing apps are helpful. I do have my feed cable in port 1 for 72.7
What is your Zip, did you ever mention it?

What is your Zip, did you ever mention it?
26164 - The PDF says for 261XX use 43 EL, 76 SK, 168 AZ. I haven't 100% checked the azimuth as I have to dig out my compass, but I should be able to pan without one, if the elevation and skew are right, which it is, there is no reason why I should be hitting 61.5 with that lnb as that satellite is lower than the 72.7

Reactions: sunelec
Cover one of the lnb's and try to find only the sat it should see,
I did, I hooked line to port 1 (for 72.7) with 61.5 covered and got 61.5 on 72.7 lnb, I also covered 72.7 and hooked line to port 2 (for 61.5) and I did get 61.5, figured I'd uncover it and check for both but only had 61.5 then as well. The only thing I can think is a bent dish or a Line of Sight issue, a bend is unlikely as I could get all three with the WA lnb (but not where I had to move my dish, which is why I'm aiming for EA now), I don't think LOS is a problem because when I was trying to get 72.7 with a WA (lol), I did pick 72.7 at one point.

If you're using your receiver to dial in the dish, it doesn't matter which output port on the DPP LNB you use. The receiver will cause it to switch based on which satellite/transponder you have set on the dish pointing screen. Make sure you're using the magnetic azimuth number when using your compass, not the true azimuth. If you use the dish pointing tool at http://dishpointer.com and enter your location, you should be able to get a pretty close idea of where to aim the dish. Choose the correct antenna in the multi-LNB section. If the pointer is not quite in the right spot, just drag it to where your dish actually is. Zoom in for a closer look...

If you're using your receiver to dial in the dish, it doesn't matter which output port on the DPP LNB you use. The receiver will cause it to switch based on which satellite/transponder you have set on the dish pointing screen. Make sure you're using the magnetic azimuth number when using your compass, not the true azimuth. If you use the dish pointing tool at http://dishpointer.com and enter your location, you should be able to get a pretty close idea of where to aim the dish. Choose the correct antenna in the multi-LNB section. If the pointer is not quite in the right spot, just drag it to where your dish actually is. Zoom in for a closer look...

Dishpointer doesn't have the Dish 1000.2 Eastern Arc setup

Just use the single LNB 72.7 settings then or the 1000.4 EA settings. They're the same since that's the sat you're trying to dial first. I use the 1000.2 settings when I have the WA LNB set installed on our 1000.4. Do you have a smartphone? There are apps that can help in aiming with an actual view of the satellite locations when you look at them from the dish location. They're great for making sure you have a good LOS too.

dp-2016-01-18_13-42-04-682.jpg

I did have Dishpointer app on my old phone, Not sure why the guys at DP are not answering support requests, I couldn't transfer it from my old phone to the new on so I can't use that app, the others I've tried arent quite as good for one reason or another

If your old phone was an Android, you should be able to just reinstall the app from the Play Store at no charge as long as you're still tied to the same Google account. It will say it's installed, but just click on it anyway.

You're pointing at the 61 sat. Swing the dish to the west 11 degrees.

Reactions: mcasdorph
If your old phone was an Android, you should be able to just reinstall the app from the Play Store at no charge as long as you're still tied to the same Google account. It will say it's installed, but just click on it anyway.

I did install it, the license was the problem

I'll try in the morning

I didnt get to try again yet, the cold front came in and dropped it into the 30's with snow, might try today since it supposed to be a little warmer in the 40's. I have another question about the dish, is the only difference between the 1000.2 EA and 1000.2 WA the LNB? No difference in reflector shape or arm length?

I was also trying to double check my settings and came across something strange, when looking at the aiming manuals on the dish website https://www.mydish.com/support/installation-manuals-page
I don't know if it is a screwups on their part or what, I was going to write down all 1000.2/1000.4 WA & EA settings just for the hell of it..Lol, I noticed when clicking 1000.4 WA angles it's downloading a files named Dish+1000.2+WA+Look+Angle+Tables.pdf, so they are apparently mixed up on the site, their 1000.2 link brings up a file with 1000.2 EA and 1000.4 WA values.. That is going to screw a lot of ppl up who try to look up how to point using dish's resources on their site

Well that got me 61.5 in the second LNB like it's supposed to be, thanks, I had to use my hand signal meter and dish point screen, I just hooked it in port 2 and found it easily, but when I done a check switch, I'm not getting 72.7, which might be a LOS problem. I downloaded a few more dishpointer style apps that were free didn't look like 72.7 had an issue but the app may need calibrated, 61.5 should be fine when tree's leaf out, but don't know 100% about the 72.7 yet, I may disconnect power to the reviewer and do a hard reset to see if it's stored settings causing me an issue, I'll return later with those results

I was also trying to double check my settings and came across something strange, when looking at the aiming manuals on the dish website https://www.mydish.com/support/installation-manuals-page
I don't know if it is a screwups on their part or what, I was going to write down all 1000.2/1000.4 WA & EA settings just for the hell of it..Lol, I noticed when clicking 1000.4 WA angles it's downloading a files named Dish+1000.2+WA+Look+Angle+Tables.pdf, so they are apparently mixed up on the site, their 1000.2 link brings up a file with 1000.2 EA and 1000.4 WA values.. That is going to screw a lot of ppl up who try to look up how to point using dish's resources on their site

The WA 1K4 and 1K2 use the same settings.

Reactions: mcasdorph
OK, cut the little tree down, sadly it wasn't the issue..Lol, sorry tree, anyway my installation summary shows nothing on port 1, it does say Conn, so does that mean it's on a satellite? For example AMC 6 possibly, guessing I need to move a hair west?
IMG_20170130_162506-640x480.jpg

Edit: think I'll mark the mast and loosen it up, hook up my meter and put it on dish point screen on 72 and turn it a hair to see if it's the problem

Last edited:
Don't remove any cables from the lnb's when covering one to see which sat the uncovered one sees.

Looking from behind the dish, the lnb on the right is 61.5, the one on the left is 72.7.

Cover the one on the left with a tin can or aluminum foil leaving ALL cables attached and you will see if 61.5 is coming in on the 61.5 lnb, if it is, peak it and run a check switch - hopefully 72.7 will come up.

Repeat covering the right lnb to see if it can see 72.7.

If 61.5 is coming in on your 72.7 lnb, you need to swing the dish about 9-11 degrees right.

IMHO it is virtually impossible for both lnbs to be seeing the same satellite, even a bent dish would be hard pressed to give you that result..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts