.TS files What software do you use ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
After recording a program on a 8GB stick I opened it up on the computer and was looking for the proper software to both view and convert for DVD recording.

What are members here using and if possible what free programs are available that you might be using?

I know this question can also be asked in PC section but it applies to my STB with recordable DVR function.

more of the same:

Yep, VLC will play most anything. :up
I use it for my .avi , .divx, etc. files.

And, I have used VideoReDo exhaustively to edit the .TS files from my Visionsat.
That would be for taking out commercials, and saving as mpeg.
VideoReDo -can- make the video into a non-standard DVD without re-encoding.
Or, it can make a standard DVD format, by re-encoding.
(they have a very large and helpful forum)

The VideoReDo guys have resisted customer cries to make it into a player.
So, you are always looking at your video in less than full-screen.
If your screen is very large, that may not be a concern.
I never wanted to watch any of my video on my computer.
The goal was to make a DVD I could play on my 42" TV set. - ;)

I used DVD Labs Pro from before VideoReDo was capable of making DVDs (around four years ago), to author my DVDs.
I always had it make non-standard format DVDs of my recordings.
DVD Labs does not re-encode, but is a semi-professional package, capable of producing incredibly sophisticated DVDs.
(I won't recommend it due to the cost - but I'm not giving it up! - :eek: - )

Tried VLC Player and I couldn't get the video to open up , VIDEO-REDO trial version is up and running ...... Very Nice

Wish I knew about Video-redo before, what a nice utility for quick editing of commercilas and unwanted material.

VLC seems to dislike .TS files directly from the Visionsat. I just re-mux them (not re-encoding) and they play fine. Probably corrupt header info or something from the Visionsat...

There seem to be several similar but slightly different TS formats, and VLC can do some but not others. Recordings from my Coolsat and Diamond don't play on VLC, but as mentioned above VideoReDo plays them fine, and converts to .mpg, and the VRD Suite version actually will directly burn to DVD, but I've never tried that.

Anyway, I use VideoReDo for everything I record off either PCI cards or STBs. Convert to .mpg, then stream to either Roku HD1000 or PopCornHour.

not all .TS created equal:

Tried VLC Player and I couldn't get the video to open up ...
You didn't really specify where you got your .TS, and that could be the problem.
As mentioned above, the Visionsat (and relatives) put a header on the front of their .TS file.
Video ReDo has no problem reading through the header to the real transport stream!
When you have it write out a .TS transport stream, it deletes that header, and THAT .TS IS readable by VLC! :cool:

That header contains info about the show.
Restoring the edited and headerless .TS to the Visionsat leaves the STB a little blind, but it will still play the file.
When this all came to light, I begged the VideoReDo guys to let us preserve or edit the header, but the receiver manufacturer wouldn't disclose the format.

...VIDEO-REDO trial version is up and running ...... Very Nice

Wish I knew about Video-redo before, what a nice utility for quick editing of commercilas and unwanted material.
Now you know why we users brag about it so much! - :up
I've been a customer for four years. Back then there was no competition.
Even today, with many new utilities, there doesn't seem to be an equal.

edit
: as B.J. suggested above, I generally save to .MPG , as it is quick (no real re-encoding).
From MPG, I run it through DVD Labs to make a DVD.
Alternately, the newest VideoReDo could make a DVD directly from the edited transport stream.
Or as others suggest, VRD can output whatever you like to play through your home media player.
All these tools have so many possible choices, you will at first have trouble deciding which path is for you. :)

Like Brian, I just use Media Player Classic (just plain ol MPC, not the hometheater version) for watching them. Haven't wanted to burn them to disk yet.

another prog to check is called SUPER.. you have to wade through tons of screens to get the download page but for other file types, it's always worked for me. I've used it for lots of batch file conversions, but I do not know if it can handle .ts

You can also use "ffmpeg" from the command line. There are unofficial nightly builds for Windows that work pretty well. I don't have any unusual .ts files to test, so the VisionSat header might be a problem for ffmpeg as well.

To convert a .ts to .mpg is normally easy:
ffmpeg -i mhzworldview.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy -target dvd mhzworldview.mpg

Since the already compressed video & audio streams are just being copied this command runs quite quickly. There are Windows GUIs for ffmpeg as well.

I like ffmpeg because it is free and available on Mac/Linux/Windows.

My CNX does .TS on the PVR recordings. I have used VLC for a program to convert but did not really like it much. I can say that I have only I have used the PVR feature only a couple times on the CNX for just testing only so far! I know the VLC program is great for transferring video to the MP3 (.MTV) video players and such, I use it for that.

But..... you guys have suggested some other great software to try! I just found the first one that did .TS and used the first one I found which happened to be VLC.

I will try some of the other suggested software!! Maybe I will start using the PVR feature more now!!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

VideoReDo can also repair some corrupted streams with their Quick Stream Fix. This has saved a few recordings for me due to some glitches in the stream. Like Anole, I have used VideoReDo, and now the TV Suite version of their program, for my satellite files for a few years also. I'm sure now you have tried it, you will not be without it.

VideoReDo can also repair some corrupted streams with their Quick Stream Fix. This has saved a few recordings for me due to some glitches in the stream. Like Anole, I have used VideoReDo, and now the TV Suite version of their program, for my satellite files for a few years also. I'm sure now you have tried it, you will not be without it.

Thanks Larry1! I will have to check that software out as well.

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts