tune-s2, my little linux app

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
As promised, here's the command line and output.

jim@bathroom:~/Desktop/tune-s2$ ./tune-s2 3800 H 30000 -lnb C-BAND
LNB: low: 10750 high: 0 switch: 0
opening: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
LOW band

Tuneing specs:
System: DVB-S
Frequency: 17700 H 30000
22khz: OFF
Modulation: QPSK
FEC: AUTO
Inversion: AUTO
Rolloff: AUTO
Pilot: AUTO

FE_SET_PROPERTY TUNE failed: Invalid argument
Closing frontend ...

Jim

I poked around and think the problem is in tune-s2.c line 295. It expects 'CBAND' and not 'C-BAND' but I'm not a C programmer so what do I know. :)

Anyhow, I tried the same command line with -lnb CBAND and it worked. Now I just need to know what to do once I get a lock in order to watch the locked stream. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Jim

ya I seen that, my help screen was telling you to use C-BAND but it was looking for CBAND. I updated the zip file now the help screen has been corrected.

my demux app

http://updatelee.com/src/demux.zip

will save the stream into a file so you can watch it. either give it the pids you want to record or none and it will record them all.

if you want to see whats in the stream I recommend dvbsnoop and dvbtraffic, they'll tell you alot about whats really in there.

I know, I don't need another feature but...

jim@bathroom:~/Desktop/tune-s2$ tune-s2 -help
Segmentation fault

No biggie, I guess. Anyway, how do I pass the pids to tune-s2? I didn't see that in the help screen.

Jim

Alright, we're in business! Listening to music on W5 as I type this.

I did make one change to your patch: I added a "SYS_" prefix to the defines for the DCII modes, for consistency with the other definitions.

Any possibility that I can get a patch file of your changes? I'm hoping to take what I have from Updatelee and you, put it in one file that will compile and run, then give it back to Updatelee for all to enjoy.

Thanks,
Jim

I'm pretty sure I posted the patch on my blog. I'll check tonight.

Just so your aware it'll only work on genpix devices. As they're the only ones that support DGII. Well I guess the dvb tech device does too but that Corp isn't around anymore. Did they even produce Linux drivers? I dont think they did.

I thought DGII was a header and packet composition thing and not modulation. Then again, I try not to think that much because of the headache that results. :^)

Also, is there a way to look for the satellite ID? If that could be added, this would be a bang up tool for setting those Diseqc positioners. Just think, tell it to alert you when you've found AMC-3 and start moving the dish. AMC-3 comes into view and "found" with signal and quality readings.comes on the screen. Then you peak the signal and store the position into the positioner. You'd save a bunch of cheap guys like me a bunch of money because we wouldn't need to buy a Birdog.

Jim

Dgii is an encryption type and/or modulation type. Ie you can have Dgii encryptd content on a Dgii tp. Or no encryption on a Dgii tp. Or Dgii encryption on a turbofec 8psk tp.

Network ID wouldn't be too hard the problem is alot of sats don't use network ID and just set it to 1 or set it to one of the companies other sats not the one it's actually on.

Birdog uses network ID combined with specific freq/pol/sr info to ident sats.

Cletus2k wrote an app that does that.

It should be pretty easy, my dev comp is currently down while Im raping and pillaging it for parts for another computer, I'll get it up and running tomorrow and take a look at it.

Is it me or doesn't 'tune-s2' like to run via an 'at' or 'cron' job? All I get is exit status 255 when I use 'cron' and nothing shows up with "ps aux | egrep 'tune-s2'". The same command to run 'tune-s2' from the command line works like a champ. I'm confused (as usual). :)

Jim

Last edited:
update on yesterday's post:

It's a "permissions" issue. A user is limited in what he can do to devices when running 'cron' or 'at' jobs. I was able to get things working when I became root.

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts