Tuning Help can get all but 103 or 103 and nothing else

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is how you dither a ka/ku put your signal meter on 101 (transponder 1 or 2 from the signal meter screen with the "beeps" if your using the satellite receiver it will require a cell phone and a very play by play relayer on the other end.). loosen the bolts on the az/el assembly underneath that allow the dish to move left or right. rotate the fine tuning bolt (on the right side if you are facing the back of the dish) counter clockwise 2 full turns. record your signal reading. Rotate the fine tuning bolt clockwise counting the amount of turns until you get the same signal reading. take the amount of turns and divide by 2. now rotate the fine tuning bolt counter clockwise again the amount that you just figured. as an example i will illustrate. I have my dish pointed and am getting 96 on transponder 1 for 101. I rotate the fine tuning bolt counter clockwise 2 times. I now have a signal reading of 63% I rotate clockwise 2 times to get back to 96 and another 2.7 times to get 63 again making a total of 4.7 times I had to rotate clockwise to get the same reading as my counterclockwise reading. I divide 4.7 by 2 and get 2.35. I set my dial to zero and rotate back counterclockwise two FULL TURNS, meaning I pass zero twice then three notches. then a half of a notch to account for the .05. At this point the dish should be properly dithered for the azimuth. Your signal for 101 will probably be unaffected maybe higher by 1 point at this point but do not worry as it is the nature of the ku band. You MUST repeat the same process for elevation. and you will have a properly dithered dish.

From these numbers does it look like my 101 is center. Once centered you just move the elev and tilt for 103 correct?

No, that's not how it works. See the latest post on "dithering". Once you are in the center of the 101 beam and are getting decent 119 signals, then you should be close to the peak on 99a/103b also. Then you fine tune the dish in azimuth and elevation with etremely small adjustments of the fine tuning - I am talking about fractions of a rotation. You should not have to change the tilt - in fact if you do adjust the tilt you are in danger of losing either 99 or 103 which is what seems to have happened, unless you really do have an LNB failure.
Go look at the installation videos for the Slimline, I am sure there is a link somewhere on this site but I just don't have it to hand.

No, that's not how it works. See the latest post on "dithering". Once you are in the center of the 101 beam and are getting decent 119 signals, then you should be close to the peak on 99a/103b also. Then you fine tune the dish in azimuth and elevation with etremely small adjustments of the fine tuning - I am talking about fractions of a rotation. You should not have to change the tilt - in fact if you do adjust the tilt you are in danger of losing either 99 or 103 which is what seems to have happened, unless you really do have an LNB failure.
Go look at the installation videos for the Slimline, I am sure there is a link somewhere on this site but I just don't have it to hand.
I dithered the dish for az and elev. 99a is there but still no 103b. I used the dither control and went west very slow to look for 103b. No luck. Maybe my lnb is bad. Can these go bad?

I dithered the dish for az and elev. 99a is there but still no 103b. I used the dither control and went west very slow to look for 103b. No luck. Maybe my lnb is bad. Can these go bad?

103b might have been East not west. But my guess is you have a faulty LNB.

Ok, if you dither 101 and 119 correctly then both 99a and 103b should be there without any further adjustment to the dish. The fine tuning is only to get 99a/103b to their max level (in the 80s at least, maybe 90s). 99a and 103b signals should be basically the same. If you have 101 and 119 signals mainly in the 90s/100, and 99a signals in the 80s/90s, then 103b should be there and in the 80s/90s also. If 103b signals are all zero then that points to a faulty LNB.

Ok, if you dither 101 and 119 correctly then both 99a and 103b should be there without any further adjustment to the dish. The fine tuning is only to get 99a/103b to their max level (in the 80s at least, maybe 90s). 99a and 103b signals should be basically the same. If you have 101 and 119 signals mainly in the 90s/100, and 99a signals in the 80s/90s, then 103b should be there and in the 80s/90s also. If 103b signals are all zero then that points to a faulty LNB.
I just replaced the lnb and now 99a and 103b comes in:). 99a is 87% and 103b is 85% .What is 103a as it shows 96% and 99b shows 0. My HD channels are back so I don't want to mess with it anymore unless I have to. Is 87 and 85 good enough .
Thanks for all your help as the lnb was bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Setting up Direct TV?

Problems with HD(Mpeg4) on HR22-100

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts