Turbo coded

Status
Please reply by conversation.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Two questions 1 What sat receivers do HD Turbo Coded QPSK? And is the Coolsat 8100HD one that will do it with updated S/W file?

HD Turbo
is hacking we do not talk about that here.
Watchel1 does need to choose his word carefully.
@whatchel1: using hacked boxes to extend your Dish Network sub to other TV's is still considered piracy on this board as far as I understand.
I and others may disagree but the rules are what they are.
I will abide by them.

Bell ExpressVu and Dish use Turbo-coding 8PSK in North America as far as I know.

This thread should have everything we know about the Coolsat 8000/8100
I believe it only does the finished 8PSK and not TC-8PSK, assuming it does 8PSK at all.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/88696-coolsat-8000-hd-receiver.html

@madmadworld: However we do need to keep in mind E* is going all Turbo-Coded 8PSK on Eastern Arc very soon.
Afterward will come Western Arc and that may mean NASA on 119W may be TC-8PSK In-The-Clear MPEG4 SD.

For those who can't get c-band, how are they going to get NASA in the future?

My disagreement stems from shunning of "hacker" hardware. I think it's useful and serves a legal purpose, mainly finding Forgot-To-Encrypt stuff.

I'll take every ITC and FTE channel I can get on my FTA system.

simple question

Watchel1 does need to choose his word carefully.
@whatchel1: using hacked boxes to extend your Dish Network sub to other TV's is still considered piracy on this board as far as I understand.
I and others may disagree but the rules are what they are.
I will abide by them.

Bell ExpressVu and Dish use Turbo-coding 8PSK in North America as far as I know.

This thread should have everything we know about the Coolsat 8000/8100
I believe it only does the finished 8PSK and not TC-8PSK, assuming it does 8PSK at all.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/88696-coolsat-8000-hd-receiver.html

@madmadworld: However we do need to keep in mind E* is going all Turbo-Coded 8PSK on Eastern Arc very soon.
Afterward will come Western Arc and that may mean NASA on 119W may be TC-8PSK In-The-Clear MPEG4 SD.

For those who can't get c-band, how are they going to get NASA in the future?

My disagreement stems from shunning of "hacker" hardware. I think it's useful and serves a legal purpose, mainly finding Forgot-To-Encrypt stuff.

I'll take every ITC and FTE channel I can get on my FTA system.

It was a simple question you guys jumped to the conclusion.

HD Turbo
is hacking we do not talk about that here.

Why would this have ANYTHING to do with hacking? And anyway, 99% of us are hackers here. Basically, if you subscribe to DN/DTV and don't install your own equipment, and call a service person whenever you have a problem, then maybe you aren't a hacker. But if you experiment at all, trying to find new free signals up there, and if you use hardware that you can't buy at Best Buy, or if you've ever tried changing the freq or SR of a transponder to get better reception, or gone outside and peaked the elevation of your dish, then you're a hacker. I still prefer to use the term pirate for what people here (and on other groups) tend to call hackers. Pirates are illegally trying to circumvent encryption systems. Being a hacker has nothing to do with that. Nor does the topic of turbo encoded QPSK or turbo 8PSK.

But to the original question, I haven't used my 8100 in quite a while, but I seem to remember that the most recent factory firmware (which was apparently written by pirates) does seem to indicate that they were trying to get the receiver to do at least Turbo 8PSK (obviously for the pirate community), however I don't think that it worked. I just got into a menu, when trying to select the sat parameters for a new sat, and it gave several new modes, including a turbo, that weren't in the original firmware. But I tried using this, and never managed to lock anything.

And again, none of this had anything to do with circumventing encryption, it's just about locking a transponder.

I don't see what difference it makes even if the only user of turbo 8PSK (the OP specified turbo QPSK BTW, not 8PSK). The modulation mode doesn't have anything to do with encryption. There is nothing wrong with locking DN/DTV/EV transponders. What is wrong is trying to circumvent the encryption. Locking a turbo 8PSK transponder, and looking for a FTA channel doesn't mean you're a pirate. How many people here have locked 119 and viewed NASA? Same thing. Since that was in DVB QPSK, does that mean we can't discuss DVB anymore???
I think the boundaries of what constitutes pirate talk are really distorted. It should be simple. If it involves beating the encryption, then it's pirate talk. If it involves locking transponders, and snooping around looking for FTA, then it's not. Technical discussion of modulation modes has nothing to do with pirating encrypted channels, even if the DBS services are the only ones using that mode.
The only gray area that I don't have a problem with, would be if the poster was asking a non encryption related question, but makes it clear that he is a pirate, but that wasn't the case here.

exactly BJ

If someone wants to lock the TP's thats not an issue
But if someone asks how to override the encryption then yes it is stealing

back to the original question, I dont think the 8100 does 8PSK turbo. I know my 8000 doesn't. It does DVB-S2 8PSK

Is there anything QPSK turbo out there? I thought the only one who used turbo coded was Dish/Bell and it was 8PSK

my feel is you do whatever you want with what you own.

but the rule here is what it is.
and if a device is made and it has no other use but to get something from a provider what is it ?
our boxes do lots of thing right from the factory but does any mfg send out a box with these installed ?
no
this would be altering it right or wrong ?

Is there anything QPSK turbo out there? I thought the only one who used turbo coded was Dish/Bell and it was 8PSK

Yes, 118.7 HD locals are Turbo QPSK. I know I could lock the 8PSK stuff with my Genpix adapter on Star Choice when they switched over, it was all encrypted though. Not sure if that was Turbo 8PSK though.

Also to another comment above... all EA is not going to Turbo 8PSK. The satellite at 77w does not have enough power to support 8PSK. 72.7 after the Nimiq5 switchover next month will be all 8PSK though.

$

I just got the 8100HD and am playing right now. So the story is simple I hooked it up to E* system and it scans at least some of the stuff but they nearly all come back saying $ then the name. It isn't breaking any encryption and if you try to tune to the channel it says that it is scrambled. I'm still waiting for the dish that I'm going to put on AMC 21 for PBS. I do get PBS OTA but two reasons I want to get it sat. 1 the local station shuts of from midnight to 6 AM so I get no chance of the refeed. 2 the audio they supply has random clicking noise in it. I have emailed them and they just don't do a damn thing about it. People are freaking out over nothing in this case. :D

The modulation mode doesn't have anything to do with encryption. There is nothing wrong with locking DN/DTV/EV transponders. What is wrong is trying to circumvent the encryption. Locking a turbo 8PSK transponder, and looking for a FTA channel doesn't mean you're a pirate. How many people here have locked 119 and viewed NASA? Same thing. Since that was in DVB QPSK, does that mean we can't discuss DVB anymore?
Even DN lawyers upheld that. In their complaint against Sonicview, posted here, they state in their view 8-psk Boards and other add-ons were intended to be used in this case PRIMARILY for signal piracy, meaning they agree the add-ons can also be used for legitimate purpose, such as mentioned above. In fact, DN is known to broadcast a number of channels in clear, probably for advertizing and clientelle grows purposes, including HD channels like mentioned HDTHR, which is said to be broadcast in 8psk turbo. Again, recalling popular AZBox functionality, connecting a device to a LAN for legit. firmware updates, internet access, or network streaming of a broadcast or show recordings doesn't violate the law. And of course, the device firmware should support such functionality, it its offered in hardware. What's important here is to avoid using it for signal decryption.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)