TV Set Question - Is It Worth The Upgrade?

duckydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I currently have a 55" Sony KDF-55E2000 LCD TV. It has 720p/1080i resolution but from my research and comparisons that doesn't tend to mean much anyway based on my viewing distance. I am looking at a panasonic plasma tv which has the same resolution but a 15000:1 contrast ratio and on all of the setups I have seen looks phenomenal (though in store where it has been tweaked to look that way.) Is it worth it to "upgrade" to a plasma for blu-ray movies and xbox 360 gaming or am I good to stay where I am at? (My tv looks good but plasmas that I have seen tend to be brighter and more vibrant, at least in the setups that I have seen in stores)

Plasmas are better viewing off center than your lcd projection. Be careful of looking at the hdtv in a b&m store. They have it torched to the max on brightness and contrast unless it has been calibrated. Play with the menu a bit. The lighting in the store will be different in your home, so take that into account. Why don't you buy a smaller 42 in. and take it home for a few days, try it out then take it back. Make sure they do have a 10 or 15 return on the set with no charges. If you like it , you then can shop around for a good price and size.

I have the 46" E2000. While its been a great tv for what i paid ($1300), its time to upgrade. Im looking hard at either a 50" Panny 85u or a 46" XBR4 Sony. The Panny is leading about 60/40 right now :)

My biggest issue with the E2000 series is the more brighted you make it, the more it washes out the colors. I've had enough and am ready to spend a little more on my next tv.

I had a 42" and it wasn't big enough for me (hence why I have a 55") I am looking for something that is brighter and has a bit more pop than the sony which is why I am looking at a few different panasonic models and one hitachi... still up to my wife to veto it but it never hurts to look.