TW lies/misleads about internet speeds

merk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
TW promotion for turbo internet says at the top of the page up to 20mbps for 44.95. Or you can get standard internet for $34.95 for up to 10mbps.

But if you if you bother to click on the details for turbo, it still says up to 20mbps at the top of the page, but scroll down a bit and it now says up to 10mbps.

I opened a chat session to ask them to clarify and they said where it says 10mbps is a mistake, that I would be getting 20mbps. I then order that 44.95 turbo internet package. And what speeds do i get - 10mbps. I call and now i have to pay an extra $10 to get the speeds i was supposed to be getting.

I opened another chat session with another rep and asked the same question - got the same answer. I'll get 20mbps. You can see a copy of the 2nd chat session here: Another Nerd's Blog: Is Time-Warner cable scaming people?

TW should honor what they are advertising. All i got from them now is 'oh i'm sorry, but we don't offer that speed at that price'. It sure as hell says you do (on the top half of the page anyhow) and your chat reps say you do.

Likely what they are referring to is the power boost option. You get 10 mbps, but it will bump to 20 for short bursts.

What they might have been referring to is NOT what they said. I specifically asked what speed i would be getting and was specifically told that section of the page where it says 10mb is a mistake, i would get 20mb. And even if what you say is true, they should do a much better job of clarifying that. Personally i think it's at best deceptive advertising. Not to mention i think it's a complete rip off to pay an extra $10/mo so i can get faster speeds for the first 2-3 seconds when i start downloading something.

I just prefer they make it clear what is being offered. Personally, i dont think you should say 'up to 20mbps' if what they really mean is they'll bump your speed up to 20mbps for the first few seconds. That would be like selling a car that gets 50mpg but only for the first 10 feet. I also would not pay an extra $10 just for the boost. The wording on the offer i saw hasn't changed. I'll check back in a few days and see if they really corrected the page or not. My guess is they wont.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)