TWC HD Local on the 8's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
When I'm watching The Weather Channel HD and local on the 8's comes up, the local slideshow forecast doesn't insert every time. I just see the national forecast. It comes on maybe once an hour at random. On the SD channel, it comes on every time.

Is this normal?

I haven't heard too much about the Weather Channel of late, but YES, thats normal ... when they went HD, they were not able to do the actual Local stuff for some reason, would be nice, but I doubt it will happen, I didn't even know that the SD had the local stuff, seeing it's Sat cand covers the whole country, it would surprise me if it did ever get up the way it is with Cable that only deals with a small area.
I'll have to check out the SD and see if they have progressed to doing the locals yet.

I know I can go online. I'm looking to see if something is wrong with my receiver, not go online. I just can't understand why it inserts when it feels like it on the HD stream, but works every time on the SD stream.

Can anyone check their HD channel and see if it works every time?

I see my local weather there all the time. You first see an overview forecast for the US then it should switch to a screen that says forecast and your zip there. Noticed it about 2 weeks ago that it actually had the forecast, surprised me since we live in a little town in the UP of Michigan. Seems to be in HD also, so a win win.

Looks like mine is skipping every other "on the 8" maybe that is by design?

....and I remembered you can press the RED button as well to get local weather instantly

It works here too, on occasion, but then again I do my own forecasting and have my own radar feed so I don't watch TWC.. :D Basically, the "Local on the 8's" feed on cable is provided by a computer called WeatherStar that is installed at the head end serving each area. When TWC drops to LOT8's, the WeatherStar computer takes over and overlays the customized local forecast and local radar into the video mux on top of the National forecast. Sometimes if the WeatherStar goes out of sync and either starts late or ends early, you can see the national forecast underneath it. There is still no HD version of the WeatherStar, which is why the TWC HD only shows the National forecast even when a local forecast is available on the SD channel.

Dish and DirecTV are a different animal, because their broadcast centers serve the whole nation (even large cable companies like Cox, Comcast, and Time-Warner are broken down into small local service areas). So they have to do LOT8's via a zipcode based app that runs on the receiver itself. It's buggy and doesn't always catch the signal to do the overlay, hence you see the national forecast.

Last edited:
How do I get my receiver to plugin the weather at every 8? Why is it skipping so many? There is one cable company that has local on the 8's for the HD feed. CableVision in NY. The broadcast is made by the TWC in Atlanta for the cable company, since no WeatherStar supports HD yet.

It works here too, on occasion, but then again I do my own forecasting and have my own radar feed so I don't watch TWC.. :D Basically, the "Local on the 8's" feed on cable is provided by a computer called WeatherStar that is installed at the head end serving each area. When TWC drops to LOT8's, the WeatherStar computer takes over and overlays the customized local forecast and local radar into the video mux on top of the National forecast. Sometimes if the WeatherStar goes out of sync and either starts late or ends early, you can see the national forecast underneath it. There is still no HD version of the WeatherStar, which is why the TWC HD only shows the National forecast even when a local forecast is available on the SD channel.

Dish and DirecTV are a different animal, because their broadcast centers serve the whole nation (even large cable companies like Cox, Comcast, and Time-Warner are broken down into small local service areas). So they have to do LOT8's via a zipcode based app that runs on the receiver itself. It's buggy and doesn't always catch the signal to do the overlay, hence you see the national forecast.

I really don't think there's any way to adjust settings or anything to make it work better, it's just supposed to work. I just set two of my boxes to TWC HD for the last hour, one caught all 6, but the other one missed two. Also, both of them varied on whether they showed the bar at the top for the severe t-storm watch that's going on right now - it kept coming and going on both tv's. Like I said, the app itself is pretty much beta software. It's only been out a few months, so I'm sure it's got bugs in it. What they really need to do is have the alert box come up on any channel, not just TWC. If you're watching TWC you already know about it! :D
imgp2885o.jpg

imgp2885o.jpg

imgp2887y.jpg

imgp2891p.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3011/imgp2891p.jpg[/img[/URL]]
[URL="http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3130/imgp2892s.jpg"][IMG]http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3130/imgp2892s.jpg

Last edited:
It's a small enough town, so yeah. I don't put anything that could help ID me or tie me to any other board username I use besides this one.

you must be in my area with the map and forecast :);)

Last edited by a moderator:
The HD local on the 8's sometimes misses here as well but always works when I first tune to the channel. A nice improvement would be looping radar (like on the national version) so you can see where the precipitation is moving to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)