Twinhan Starbox USB, I am lost in the buz

treelover

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I want to use my computer for viewing TV. What I would like to do is connect a satellite receiver to a box that plugs into the computer and be able to change channels via the satellite receiver.

I read the specs on the TwinHan Starbox and I am lost. One picture, I saw (not sure who mde this one) showed LNB's connected to the "box" mounted to the computer. Now that would be a problem I think. For example, how would the satellite provider be able to decode the signal if the LNB is connected directly to the computer?

I want to state I saw two means of getting into the computer, one of course is the USB and the other was (I think) PCI bus.

Next I noticed the input frequencies to the "box". The frequencies are LNB IF frequencies, not satellite transmission frequencies. KU band ranges from 11720-13200MHz. LNB output is 10750 for linear and 11250MHz for circular polarization. The input frequencies for the "box" range from 950-2150MHz.

I don't know what IF frequencies are common in receivers.

Now while I am at it these "boxes" come with remotes. That would lead me to guess that the inputs are directly from the LNB.

If anybody got through to this point can you explain how these contraptions work? Yes-- some will say they work well but I need a little more.

Thanks--

Treelover

The starbox is the receiver and you just watch FTA on the Computer.

I think what you want is a TV Tuner Card. Split the coax Output FROM the Receiver and send one to the Computer and the other to the TV. Then using the TV Tuner card just tune to the same channel as the TV(3 or 4) But change the Sat Channels with the FTA Receiver.

Hope this Helps,
Cegarrett

The starbox is the receiver and you just watch FTA on the Computer.

I think what you want is a TV Tuner Card. Split the coax Output FROM the Receiver and send one to the Computer and the other to the TV. Then using the TV Tuner card just tune to the same channel as the TV(3 or 4) But change the Sat Channels with the FTA Receiver.

Hope this Helps,
Cegarrett

I looked at the Twinhan site, there are several cards they offer. I sent a question on this topic to their technical support group but like any other company, getting an answer sometimes doesn't happen.

One of my concerns as mentioned in the original post is the 14-18 VDC the card sends to the LNB.........nowof course if the receiver is connected to the input where the LNB would be connected the receiver will get the 14-18 VDC connected to its output. I can just go ahead and make such a connection but I don't want to burn up the receiver.

Foggy

You DON'T USE A RECEIVER with the Star Box IT IS THE RECEIVER.

OK, now I think I have it. The TwinHan cards such as their AD-SE200 receive FTA directly from the LNB. Their 1034 Mantis cards accept a smart card which will allow receiving scrambled channels. I should have paid better attention to their literature.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding--

Treelover

clarification

Yes, the USB box or the PCI card in your computer act as complete satellite receivers.
Just connect the LNB to them, and load the right software.

You will not be able to subscribe to Dish, DirecTV, BEV, StarChoice, nor Globecast with a card in your computer.
Not in North America.

If you are interested in real Free To Air (FTA) reception (perfectly legal), visit the FTA forum here.
Here's a handy list of what you might be able to receive.
No HBO, no Discovery, no Speed Channel.... but lots of other good stuff. ;)

You can also get stand-alone receivers, including PVRs (hard disc based recorder) for FTA, too.
Many use external USB hard drives, so connecting the drive to your computer is easy.
Here's an example from one of our advertizers.

There are other cards and USB receivers for North American analog and digital reception, that work similarly.

PS: I have a StarBox.

Yes, the USB box or the PCI card in your computer act as complete satellite receivers.
Just connect the LNB to them, and load the right software.

You will not be able to subscribe to Dish, DirecTV, BEV, StarChoice, nor Globecast with a card in your computer.
Not in North America.

If you are interested in real Free To Air (FTA) reception (perfectly legal), visit the FTA forum here.
Here's a handy list of what you might be able to receive.
No HBO, no Discovery, no Speed Channel.... but lots of other good stuff. ;)

You can also get stand-alone receivers, including PVRs (hard disc based recorder) for FTA, too.
Many use external USB hard drives, so connecting the drive to your computer is easy.
Here's an example from one of our advertizers.

There are other cards and USB receivers for North American analog and digital reception, that work similarly.

PS: I have a StarBox.

hi got the twinhan starbox 2
but i'm really new to FTA thing
i don't know what kind of lnb and size of dish that i need
really don't know where to get the FTA signal and stuff

just want to watch American, Asia, soccer, and some discovery channel

really need help to set up

thank in adv.
Ziiro:)

You will need a 90cm / 36" dish and a linear LNBF to receive FTA programming from satellites like Galaxy 35 at 97W. Quite a few iternational matches are available on this satellite. You will not be able to receive Discovery Channel or any other subscription services.

We can assist with the installation and aiming of the system in the Free to Air Forums

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)