Two 6.4 IR/UHF Remotes, Neither Works with DVR 612, Need Help

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
I have Two 6.4 IR/UHF Remotes, Neither Works with DVR 612 in UHF mode.
  1. One has a black bottom with UHF molded in, It works as a long range IR remote, but not UHF
  2. One has a blue bottom with a "2" in black, it neither works in IR or UHF, but the "SAT" light blinks when I press a button
I only need limited UHF functionality, like recall, guide, arrows, and select.

Doing a search, tons of UHF remote threads, this post from a Dish tech said the 6.4 should work with a 612.

I have tried both a long and short antenna connected to the remote port on the back of the 612, no help. Couldn't find a menu setup item to activate a UHF remote, suggested for another model.

Any suggestions?

What address is the 612 set to? Is uhf activated on your 612? When I got mine it was set for IR and wouldn't accept UHF.
If you're talking about the switch inside the battery, then A. As I said it my post, couldn't find a UHF menu item. Do you know where it is?

Thanks

When I got mine it was set for IR and wouldn't accept UHF.
Is it possible that the 612 doesn't support UHF remotes, even though there's a connector on the back?

Looking at the Sys Info screen, the i field only shows IR, no mention of UHF.

I do not believe the 612 supports it, I don't have one in front of me but to use UHF there is an antenna that must be on the back. In many cases even those like a 625 will require a reboot of the receiver so the changes stick.

612 still has UHF functionality, they just changed to shiping IR remotes to save money. Wish I could help more, but I haven't even installed a 612 recently.

Just had a Dish chat, she said I couldn't use UHF because it only supports 1 TV. Not the brightest tech I've encountered. I'm not ready to give up . . . yet.

Don't give up! My two 612's shipped with UHF Pro 6.3 remotes. The receivers came with the antenna and were set to accept both UHF and IR. The remotes were set for UHF.

Try Advanced Tech support. In the system info screen line I should display IR,UHF. It was something simple like holding SAT button then pushing # but it was years ago and I haven't had any reason to do it again

ViP receivers don't have any settings to change in the menus for UHF.

Here, this should help you out. Click the pic to enlarge :-

Attachments

• yJN9UQU.jpg
    yJN9UQU.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Thanks for the remote pics. Here's my Sys Info screen before and after pressing the Record button, nothing changed:

SysInfo612.jpg

I covered the IR lenses and tested UHF, still not working. FWIW, I do not have a silver UHF Key, only Black(one side) and Blue with a 2 (other side) on both 6.4 remotes.

Do you have UHF PRO enabled in your installation menus and UHF antenna connected in the back of your receiver? If so, when you are on this sys info screen scroll up (channel up) until your Rem Addr is hilighted then press record.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Do you have UHF PRO enabled in your installation menus
No such menu item. I believe that was covered in the preceding series of remote pics. Apparently the 612 doesn't have that option?

UHF antenna connected in the back of your receiver?
Yes, I tried two ways:
  1. The antenna connected directly to the back
  2. The antenna extened about 4', above the DVR using a coaxial cable
Neither made it work. But all this was mentioned in my OP.

If so, when you are on this sys info screen scroll up (channel up) until your Rem Addr is hilighted then press record.
No amount of key strokes allow me to highlight any of the Sys Info fields, I've tried. If I have to stand on one foot first, right or left?

Thanks for the reply.

Without the correct tab what you need to do is pull out the tab and you will see a little switch that is controlled by the tabs.
Take a paper clip and use that to move the switch to the various positions until you find the one that works. Leave the tab out.

Doing some testing and learned a few more things.

I hooked up the DVR 625 with the dead HDD and browsed the menu items. Sure enough it has a "TV1 UHF Pro Setup" at menu 6. The 612 I have has no such menu item, anywhere.

Using the process outlined in Post #11, I could get one of the 6.4 remotes working in UHF, on the 625, using the blue 2 key. If I reversed the key to black, then the 6.4 stopped working in UHF.

That suggest that since Post 11 shows only the silver key for the 612, I need to get a silver key to get my 6.4 remotes to work in UHF mode.

Any thoughts?

Without the correct tab what you need to do is pull out the tab and you will see a little switch that is controlled by the tabs.
Take a paper clip and use that to move the switch to the various positions until you find the one that works. Leave the tab out.
By "tabs" do you mean the various color keys shown in Post 11 that I referred to in my post 16?

Thanks for the reply.

I took apart one of the 6.4 remotes to understand your post. I was thinking it was the outer bumps on the keys that did the switching. Rather it is the inner ramp that moves the 4-position slide switch. Now I know.

I tried all 4-position of the slide switch (multiple times), some would work in IR, none would work in UHF. That implies that a silver key would do me no good. Perhaps Dish has defeated the UHF remote functionality with the current version of the 612 firmware?

If all else fails you could get a 21.0 or two. They don't have to hassle with the keys like the older remotes. There is just a simple switch in the battery port for switching between IR and UHF.

I doubt that Dish killed UHF remote capabilities on the 612. Those remotes just aren't going to behave without the right key. Maybe eBay has the gray (UHF Pro, NOT UHF) keys?

Doing some testing and learned a few more things.

I hooked up the DVR 625 with the dead HDD and browsed the menu items. Sure enough it has a "TV1 UHF Pro Setup" at menu 6. The 612 I have has no such menu item, anywhere.

Using the process outlined in Post #11, I could get one of the 6.4 remotes working in UHF, on the 625, using the blue 2 key. If I reversed the key to black, then the 6.4 stopped working in UHF.

That suggest that since Post 11 shows only the silver key for the 612, I need to get a silver key to get my 6.4 remotes to work in UHF mode.

Any thoughts?

If you could only get 1 of the remotes to work with the 625, the uhf transmitter in the other remote is probably bad

if you put the blue 2 key in the working remote, reset the address to 1, hit the sys info screen, pressed record and it didn't change to uhf/ir, you probably need the silver key or a better remote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts