Two DVRs - my remote operates both at the same time

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, I think the DVR menu tree is slightly different than the non-DVR tree. That's what's causing the crossed signals here. On the non-DVRs IR/RF Setup is right up front in the first menu, and on the DVRs it is in the Program Remote > Advanced menu.

RQ you had it right in your first post.. You got to where it says Remote Type and has IR highlighted in yellow.. The problem was you just danced all around the correct button! :D You have to push SELECT, then down to change it to RF... The box will guide you from there! ;)

Ok, I think the DVR setup is slightly different than the non-DVR setup. That's what's causing the crossed signals here. On the non-DVRs it is right up front in the first menu, and on the DVRs it is in the Advanced menu.
Thank you! I swear, I felt like I was going crazy. I kept saying "It's not there!" and everyone kept saying, "It's there!" I'm running on almost no sleep for a week, and I kept wondering if that was the problem as to why I couldn't find it, but now it seems it's just different equipment.

RQ you had it right in your first post.. You got to where it says Remote Type and has IR highlighted in yellow.. The problem was you just danced all around the correct button! :D You have to push SELECT, then down to change it to RF... The box will guide you from there! ;)
Thank you. My goodness that's non-intuitive. Why would they have you Select the option you DON'T want to bring up the option you DO? Crazy. The user-interface-design part of me is tearing my hair out. Gah. Thanks for letting me know. I'll let you know how it works.

Thank you! I swear, I felt like I was going crazy. I kept saying "It's not there!" and everyone kept saying, "It's there!" I'm running on almost no sleep for a week, and I kept wondering if that was the problem as to why I couldn't find it, but now it seems it's just different equipment.

Thank you. My goodness that's non-intuitive. Why would they have you Select the option you DON'T want to bring up the option you DO? Crazy. The user-interface-design part of me is tearing my hair out. Gah. Thanks for letting me know. I'll let you know how it works.

Its a 'drop down' menu. There are others in the setup menus but they all have more than two options. You have to click SELECT to open the list of choices. But I agree, that particular menu would've been better designed with two radio buttons instead.

Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me with the problem with the remotes. I finally have them working with their separate DVRs. Such a convoluted process to get there. I appreciate you all being patient with me and offering your experience and various suggestions to help me out.

I don't think my install was done particularly well. Making sure the system is set up the way the customer wants seems like it would be sort of the base level for customer satisfaction. The guy did seem to be in a hurry to get to his next install. He showed me each DVR was working, told me I could learn everything I needed to know from the manuals, left the boxes, clipped cables, plastic ties, wiring, and paperwork on the floor and left. I guess if DirecTV calls to ask about the install I'll let them know.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

I would call them and let them know of your experience. It's not all that likely that they will call you.

Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me with the problem with the remotes. I finally have them working with their separate DVRs. Such a convoluted process to get there. I appreciate you all being patient with me and offering your experience and various suggestions to help me out.

I don't think my install was done particularly well. Making sure the system is set up the way the customer wants seems like it would be sort of the base level for customer satisfaction. The guy did seem to be in a hurry to get to his next install. He showed me each DVR was working, told me I could learn everything I needed to know from the manuals, left the boxes, clipped cables, plastic ties, wiring, and paperwork on the floor and left. I guess if DirecTV calls to ask about the install I'll let them know.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

A lot of it has to do with the company contracted by DIRECTV to do the installation. MasTec did the installation of my system(they drove vehicles marked DIRECTV). There was an automated phone call reminding me of my installation day,they would call in advance to let me know that the installer was on his way,the installer called in advance,& then I had an automated call afterwards asking how my installation went.
Your installer had to leave the boxes.That is in case you had a problem with one of the DVR's & needed to send it back to DIRECTV. As far as everything else,yeah that's not cool.

I agree that your install was not done particularly well. A lot of the technology seems to be coming out faster than the installers are being trained. I'm just glad that you got all this to work for you, since it was becoming apparent from the tone of your posts that you were getting very frustrated. Your installation was a "bit" away from standard, but your installer should have taken the time to work it through with you. Again, it is good to hear that it is all working.

I got my service installed in January and had a very good installer who showed me everything he knew about the boxes and service. I did, however, have to show him DoublePlay and how it worked, even though I had used it all of once, at that very moment. He remarked that he often had to learn about some of the new features from the customers rather than the company.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts