Two Hoppers Off Duo Node

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
What's the diff if you connect two Hoppers directly to the DPX outputs of a Duo Node than if you connect two Hoppers via an Isolator to the DPX outputs of a Duo Node?

The isolators isolate the MoCA networks on the Hoppers. So they wouldn't be able to share recordings with each other while isolated. Joeys can be placed on each individual network via the CLIENT port of each isolator or via a tap.

Ok, so if I use a TAP off each DPX output on a Duo Node and each TAP connected to a Hopper, then I'd get a single network, right?

However, if is used an ISOLATOR off each DPX output on a Duo Node and each ISOLATOR connected to a Hopper, then I'd get two Hopper networks, right?

Yep. But wouldn't it be better to directly connect each Hopper to the duo node?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If your hoppers are close to the joeys a tap would work perfectly. Or, if the wiring is already there. No need to run dual coax all over the place. If not you can connect the joey to the node and also the hopper to the node. I. E. Maybe one is way on one end of the house and the other is on the opposite end. (with the node physically located between them) The isolator will just split networks so the 2 hoppers and their joeys can't see each other on the network. Maybe you have kids that you don't want seeing your dvr recordings or mother in law or something like that. Or, a business downstairs with a residence upstairs. Otherwise, you're better off not using the isolator because once you feed Internet into one hopper and you enable bridging then all the other units will use that hoppers Internet connection as well as shared dvr.

If your hoppers are close to the joeys a tap would work perfectly. Or, if the wiring is already there. No need to run dual coax all over the place. If not you can connect the joey to the node and also the hopper to the node. I. E. Maybe one is way on one end of the house and the other is on the opposite end. (with the node physically located between them) The isolator will just split networks so the 2 hoppers and their joeys can't see each other on the network. Maybe you have kids that you don't want seeing your dvr recordings or mother in law or something like that. Or, a business downstairs with a residence upstairs. Otherwise, you're better off not using the isolator because once you feed Internet into one hopper and you enable bridging then all the other units will use that hoppers Internet connection as well as shared dvr.
Or if you had a Duplex and wanted to set up two accounts off one dish.

How many Hoppers and Joeys and do you want them to all see each other?
At least 2 Hoppers, but not sure about # of Joeys.

So if two Hoppers are on the same network and can "see" each other, what do you see when you press the DVR button? One big list of recorded programs?

No, you see the DVR recordings on the Hopper you are connected to. There is a pull down menu that allows you to choose the other Hopper(s) or EHDs.
So the same must be true for PTAT -- you could have it on both Hoppers. But you just need it on one since you can access both Hoppers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)