Two houses, two installations, strange problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kendallcurtis

Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Texas
Hey guys,

I am trying to get my new 211k to work at my old house with bad results so far so maybe you guys could help me out. But I should start from the beginning.

Last year I had a vip622 at my townhouse. I believe the dish is a 500. Also I had the full HD package with Dish. Then I bought a new house and I wanted my Dish service at the new house. I took my 622 with me to the new house and thought that I would also need my dish. So I went on the wall of my townhouse to take the dish down. Well I loosened one nut on the base bracket and got the main arm moved about 1 1/2 inches (vertically, one axis) before I realized that it would be harder than I though to remove it with my short ladder. So I decided that I should find out first if I definately even needed to bring it with me. The movement that I made was incredibly miniscule and was very easy to be sure where the original position was because the dish's working position was actually touching the wall. Long story short I made a minor arm (not dish angle) adjustment and put it right back. After that I found that I didn't even need the dish and that Dish would come and put a new one on my new house. So I did that and everything was fine.

Skipping forward to today I still have both houses and now I want programming at both houses on the same account (for a few months) and then once I sell the townhouse I will move it back to my main house. So I was told that if I bought a vip211k and got it activated at my new house (along with my 622) then I could afterwards move it to townhouse with the existing outdoor equipment (nearly) untouched and it would just work. The advice basically was that if the satellite installation worked and was good enough for my 622 then the 211k would use it fine as well. Well I bought the 211k activated it with Dish and brought it to the townhouse. But it won't work.

It actually can't find any signal and when I ran the dish pointing "check switch" test it actually says that it can't find any satellites. Along with that, the 211k (the physical box itself) makes a strange high pitched sound when it starts up if the coax is plugged into it. It makes the sound found about a 30 seconds before it stops. If it is making the sound and I unplug the coax it instantly stops. Also when it runs the "check switch" test it tests 38 different tests and makes the high pitched sound for each test for a moment.

I thought this might mean there was something damaged up on the dish outside but I looked at it and it looks normal (no damage). It is still grounded and but I couldn't see well enough to see much beyond that (it was dark).

Any idea what my problem is? Does it have to do with my minor movement? Is the dish outside damaged or malfunctioning? Is maybe something unplugged up there that I didn't realized (and forgot that I unplugged it)? Any advice would be very welcome.

Kendall

Last edited:
What should I look for to find the short? Will there be visual damage or something like that? Or could the short be in the dish equipment itself. From what I can tell everything in the line looks fine. I can see most of it because none of it is in the wall, it is run straight out of the room to the exterior brick and along the wall to the dish. Should I maybe just run a whole new coax to make sure it isn't something in the coax or is that overkill?

Kendall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts