two poles question for dish mounting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
Presently I have a 12ft pole (3" diameter) 4' is in the ground with cement around the pole about 2 feet around. On the top I have a Channel Master 1.2 meter fixed on NSS806. Now I have a 3 foot shelf (supported to the pole with u bolts and angle iron) about 3 feet below the top of the pole that is holding my other FTA 30" dish and Dish 500 that I have. In addition to this I have a wall mounted ex-starband dish used for Dish at 61.5. I would like to consolidate these dishes on one 2 3/8 diameter 10 ft pole that I acquired. I was thinking of using u bolts with angle iron to fasten the new pole to the existing one at 3 points and having it elevated two feet higher over the Channel master and perhaps standing it off from the old pole like 1 foot. I hope this makes sense to someone that can tell me if this weight of the new pole might cause to much stress on the main pole the 3" diameter even though its 4 ft in the ground. The new pipe 2 3/8" diameter is iron too. Thoughts?
I would rather not have to sink the new pole in the ground I like to try to use the height for this one to maybe one day have a 1 meter ku dish on the top of the new pole that would be steerable.
Thanks.

I don't think the weight of the new pole and 1 new small dish would cause any problems. I'm not an engineer but I have quite a bit of experience working with steel fabricating on heavy duty equipment.

the wobble factor

I just spent a few minutes revisiting the mounting. If I side mount and elevate the new pole to the pole in the ground, the pole in the ground will wobble alot in the wind or whatever. And that has to cause stress in the iron.
I think I am going to still side mount it but I will let the new pole rest on the ground. I will put on of those steel brackets that go in the ground like two feet to hold a deck post but I will rest the new pole in that if it fits. I think there will be less wobble factor that way. Basically I am creating an H with 3 total bridges to the main pole to hold it in place.

That sounds better! Rather than three step style braces, I suggest putting one on a diaginal between the other two making a set of triangles. Some might suggest, if possible, to fill the original pole with concrete and a piece of rebar to make the assembly even more ridgid.

Is that pole large enough for a 1M dish and motor? It sounds right, but check it out. You might need a angled back brace on the assembly to really make it solid - but then, you are not in our neighborhood! {Calm wind today, but COLD.}

I tried to do what I said in my second post and I can't get enough stability at the base of the new pole. I'm going to revist the 3 brace style. At Lowes they have the angle iron but at the same place the have this steel that just has screw holes and tis iron looks like it could be used for shelves against the wall but its not made for that. I will get two peices of this steel and put one on one side of 3 U bolts I will fasten to the existing pole and another on the other side of the u bolts in a vertical manner. Then use that leverge to extend the same steel out to two feet to u bolt the new pole. If this works I will take pictures and show everyone. I will probably do this over the next couple days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)