two receivers and one coaxial (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

Hoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 26, 2004
Glendale, AZ
Hi,
I currently have a directv receiver hooked up to a dish with a single LNB. I am thinking of purchasing a second receiver to pick up FTA stations. My question is - is it possible to have have one LNB and coaxial line feed two separate receivers (one directv and one FTA)? Is there some kind of a switch that will allow this? Thanks for the help.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
Hoss said:
Hi,
I currently have a directv receiver hooked up to a dish with a single LNB. I am thinking of purchasing a second receiver to pick up FTA stations. My question is - is it possible to have have one LNB and coaxial line feed two separate receivers (one directv and one FTA)? Is there some kind of a switch that will allow this? Thanks for the help.
Some FTA receivers do have a pass through capability, if you run the cable from the dish to the FTA then a cable from the FTA to the directv receiver. I don't think you are going to legally find anything to watch though. Most FTA broadcasting is on FSS satellites and you need a minimum of 30" dish for that. :shocked

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Since the Directv dish is fixed on 101 you won't find anything with the FTA receiver. Directv scrambles their channels.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
IT Won't Work

While AMC4, a good FTA FSS bird is also at 101 degrees, the LNBF for DirecTV is designed for the BSS frequency range which is higher than the FSS Ku-band of FTA birds. You therefore will not receive anything useful from the AMC4 bird. Also, as was mentioned, an 18" dish does not provide enough gain to produce a viewable signal from the lower effective powered FSS birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts