two receivers and one coaxial

Hoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Glendale, AZ
Hi,
I currently have a directv receiver hooked up to a dish with a single LNB. I am thinking of purchasing a second receiver to pick up FTA stations. My question is - is it possible to have have one LNB and coaxial line feed two separate receivers (one directv and one FTA)? Is there some kind of a switch that will allow this? Thanks for the help.

Hoss said:
Hi,
I currently have a directv receiver hooked up to a dish with a single LNB. I am thinking of purchasing a second receiver to pick up FTA stations. My question is - is it possible to have have one LNB and coaxial line feed two separate receivers (one directv and one FTA)? Is there some kind of a switch that will allow this? Thanks for the help.
Some FTA receivers do have a pass through capability, if you run the cable from the dish to the FTA then a cable from the FTA to the directv receiver. I don't think you are going to legally find anything to watch though. Most FTA broadcasting is on FSS satellites and you need a minimum of 30" dish for that. :shocked

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Since the Directv dish is fixed on 101 you won't find anything with the FTA receiver. Directv scrambles their channels.

IT Won't Work

While AMC4, a good FTA FSS bird is also at 101 degrees, the LNBF for DirecTV is designed for the BSS frequency range which is higher than the FSS Ku-band of FTA birds. You therefore will not receive anything useful from the AMC4 bird. Also, as was mentioned, an 18" dish does not provide enough gain to produce a viewable signal from the lower effective powered FSS birds.