Status
Please reply by conversation.

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
I've done a lot of splitting and switching over the years but this is new to me as the cable also drives the dish mover so I'm not certain of what's involved. While there would be two receivers they would not both be on at the same time but I want to be able to control the motor and polarity from either receiver. Is there a switch that would work in this configuration or am I SOL?

Ku-1.jpg~original

What you need is a splitter with DC power passing on both ports.
Something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B00I21IGMS
Search around though you may find a cheaper one. Also do know how well they handle the current of the motor. I have saw people set up like this but never tried myself.

Safest way is a 'sat priority switch' or 'smart priority switch' (google is your friend...). That is fully automatic, but only when the 'master' receiver has LNB-power OFF when in stand-by.

A splitter with one-way power through on both ports would also work (also under the condition that LNB-power is off when a receiver is in stand-by), but when both receivers are ON accidentally, that can give strange effects.

Non-automatic switching is also possible, but I don't think you want that?

greetz,
A33

Best to use a dual LNBF. One cable to each receiver, no switches that way so you can use a dual LO LNBF (universal) if you like too.
Your main receiver can control the dish, the other receiver can be direct. Having two receivers that can control one motorized dish might be problematic... If you need to control a dish motor with each receiver, might be best to have two motorized dishes. (if cost is no object!) :)

Thanks guys. Cham, I really don't want to have to run another 100' cable underground out to the dish and the problem then becomes how do you wire it so each receiver can control the motor. a33, I did a search and was blown away by the prices. Yikes, $57 for the only one on Ebay. However, I found one on Amazon (KE4EST, sorry, your link didn't work but I suspect you were pointing at the same one) so I ordered that one.

Since both receivers will not be on at the same time, a simple coax A/B switch would work. (look for one with high isolation and good shielding) Just be sure to turn the receivers off by the main power switch for they are truly off and not just by the remote. Only switch the switch when they are both turned off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.