Two Receivers, Same Remote, Bummer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
As the title shows that is a problem. One unit is used about 85% of the time so the other receiver that has one of those IR pickups that can be placed anywhere gets the other 15% of use. I fix the problem by moving that pickup out of sight or cover up the other receivers IR pickup. It works, but......
Would it be possible to go inside and change one of the units and the remote so they would not interfere with each other? Or would it take an electronics pro and equipment?

Could you arrange it so when you turn one off it turns on the other one? You always have one on and one off.

IR codes are firmware coded. Not user changeable.
Thanks. Guess I will continue what I am doing.

Could you arrange it so when you turn one off it turns on the other one? You always have one on and one off.
That would work as long as they were not recording something. Also one of them needs the time and date set when ever it has been off.

As the title shows that is a problem. One unit is used about 85% of the time so the other receiver that has one of those IR pickups that can be placed anywhere gets the other 15% of use. I fix the problem by moving that pickup out of sight or cover up the other receivers IR pickup. It works, but......
Would it be possible to go inside and change one of the units and the remote so they would not interfere with each other? Or would it take an electronics pro and equipment?
You could use a wireless remote extender and cover over the IR emitter on the remote. I used one with my Micro HD so that I could control the receiver from beside the dish. The type I have replaces one of the cells in the remote with a half-length cell combined with the RF transmitter. The receiver unit of the extender has an IR emitter that you can tape over the IR receiver on the satellite receiver. I found that I had to cover the IR emitter on the remote to stop the Micro HD from being confused by IR commands coming from two different emitters.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Reactions: harshness
How much money and time you willing to put into solving the problem? :)

Have you done a search engine search? There might be a chance that this problem has reared its head on other types of equipment and there might be an off the shelf solution or a reasonably easy do it yourself one. Just a thought, for what it is worth.

Interesting with the extender and I will do a search. Not interested in spending $$. No leaves on my money tree in the back yard.

Interesting with the extender and I will do a search. Not interested in spending $$. No leaves on my money tree in the back yard.
The one I have is called "Next Generation Remote Control Extender", $33 currently on Amazon.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

The one I have is called "Next Generation Remote Control Extender", $33 currently on Amazon......
Interesting device. I understand the covering of the remote emitter so the other similar receiver won't pickup anything. I wonder how this device can tell what button I pushed on my remote. Also some bad reviews on Amazon about very bad customer service. Not an issue if the item continues to work OK.

The NextGen detector/transmitter senses the IR pulse generation from the remote's PCB then transmits the RF signal it to the NextGen receiver. The receiver converts the RF pulse into IR for the emitter. The emitter is placed against the target STB's IR sensor and the IR light is blocked from reaching other devices.

Reactions: RT-Cat
I use a RF extender with my MicroHd, it works good. I too had to cover the IR sensor in the receiver. Don't remember the brand, I've had it quite some time, but I bought it off Amazon, so I could look it up later. IIRC, it was around $50.

The NextGen detector/transmitter senses the IR pulse generation from the remote's PCB then transmits the RF signal it to the NextGen receiver. The receiver converts the RF pulse into IR for the emitter. The emitter is placed against the target STB's IR sensor and the IR light is blocked from reaching other devices.
Purrrrrfect explanation on how it works.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts