Two TVs, one TIVO?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Floridagal

Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Tampa Bay Florida
Hi everyone - new here - glad I found this forum.

I see a somewhat similar question to mine in another thread, but my question involves TIVO; hence a different thread.

My current DirecTV setup was installed five years ago and has not been changed. I'd like to change it as follows, but I'd first like to know if it can be done as outlined:

Present setup: Two rooms: Room one with the DirecTV-brand of Tivo. Room two has just the TV with the set-top box, channel selection independent of Room one.

Desired setup: Room one stays as is. Room two shows whatever is on in Room one and can also access its TIVO recordings.

Can this be done or would I have to have a separate TIVO installation in Room two in order to access TIVO. I do not have HDTV in either room. If it helps, I'm not a techy type!

Thanks.

You want to drop the regular box in room two? You will only be able to watch one channel at a time on both TV's if you do this. It can be done, but seems silly to me, unless you live alone?

Yes, I do live alone. I'm just trying to have TIVO in both rooms without paying for another receiver and another TIVO subscription. If this can be done, would DirecTV be the one to implement this? I realize I would probably get a service charge. Or am I on my own if I want to do this?

Thanks.

You need to call up D* and cancel the regular receiver off your account. You can then sell that. Your monthly bill be reduced by $5/month. Then, with the DirecTivo, run the primary TV on composite video, or depending on the age of the TV, S-Video. Then run a coax line from the coax output on the DirecTivo to the secondary TV in the other room. You may have to rewire some of the house or you may have to use a wireless solution (which will transmit crappy VHS video quality at best).

You could take this opportunity to upgrade to an HDTV, get a new HD DVR, and a new Slimline Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts