U4 Quad Hybrid: New UHD DVB-S2 + OTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
7) HiTVRemote is an Android app that lets you use your phone as a mini-touchscreen interface to the receiver. When I was able to get it to work, it was very cool. The android phone acts as a powerful remote control, and it displays TV too. But it only connected once in about 5 tries. I cannot get it to work consistently.....
OK, I figured out how to get HiTVRemote to connect consistently. On the right side of the screen there is text that says "No STB Connected". If you press the text a button comes up with the local IP address of the receiver. Click that and it works. They should change the "No STB Connected" text to a button that says "Connect".

Anyway, I really like HiTVRemote. It will be very handy to have for dish alignment / tweaking.

Reactions: Titanium
I've got NASA UHD on 105. But I'm going from memory. Will check out 103 for the others. Thanks!

Sent from a phone, probably while I'm driving over the speed limit through a school zone with construction workers present.
What receiver are you using to watch it, and does it pause or drop frames frequently?

What receiver are you using to watch it, and does it pause or drop frames frequently?

Wow, I had not realized there was a transponder on 103 with a repeat of NASA UHD.

I'm using a PROF DVB S2 8000 in a PC I built in ~2007. I just resurrected it after finding the problem SATA HD connector that sidelined it since about 2009.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4000+ 2.1 GHz
3.0GB RAM
Windows 10 64bit
Radeon HD 6450 video card (budget card to get off the MoBo video)
Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 MoBo

A couple weeks ago I got it running again and could get NASA UHD locked off 105, but it was jerky. Seemed to skip about 90% of the frames. I put the video card in and it now drops about 25% of the frames. I just put W10 on in place of XP and it seems to be running more CPU% all the time. Don't know if there's more optimization to be had. I'm sure there's room for improvement in the LAV codecs with 4KTV.

Running DVB Dream with the W8.1 drivers. Had to edit the Registry to get the stream to detect. (see https://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/post/prof-8000-windows-810-7740421 )

The other UHD channels off 103 are really problematic, pretty much unwatchable. FTV can barely make a picture.

UHD1_2570 4140_V_30000_20160303_204747.jpg Silent Monkeys Channel

High 4k TV_2570 4140_V_30000_20160303_205016.jpg High 4K Channel

NASA UHD TV_2570 4140_V_30000_20160303_203924.jpg NASA UHD TV_2570 4140_V_30000_20160303_203951.jpg NASA UHD

Cband HD Home Feed_2570 4091_V_14029_20160303_204625.jpg PBS HD off 103

hi,
this Box have Problems with uhd channels.this Box gives mosaic Video on uhd channels!! do not buy this box!! see my video
smartstb.net admin mean;
Sorry, About Astra UHD(4K) channels are decoding by 4K@60fps 10bit.
But U4(Hi3796C) can't decode 10bit UHD channels.
Unfortunately, U4 Quad Hybrid can't decode 4K UHD Channels in Astra/Hotbird Satellite.

Sorry, About Astra UHD(4K) channels are decoding by 4K@60fps 10bit.
But U4(Hi3796C) can't decode 10bit UHD channels.
Unfortunately, U4 Quad Hybrid can't decode 4K UHD Channels in Astra/Hotbird Satellite.
I just got this reply from Vivant about my 4K troubles:

"Sorry to hear the problems. U4 is supporting 4K 30fps. Some of the channels maybe 60fps and they will not be supported. ..."

NASA UHD is 60fps according to this: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...t-non-commercial-uhd-channel-in-north-america

And the "High 4K" channel appears to be 10bit, which would seem to explain the strange colors.

Unless there is another STB that I am unaware of, it appears that the only way to get full quality UHD over DVB is a tuner card and high-end graphics card in a PC.

The 4:2:2 channels I tried just gave a black screen.

I haven't tried rooting it. It comes with a 'Developer Tools' app. Most of the options in it are to display various information screens.

It might not even need to be rooted, I bet it's open already. Looking at that remote app, it states for Hi37XX, I may try it on the 3712 here and see if it works. ;)

Does it move a dish with DISEqC all right, or is it the same deal as with USALS?

The remote app is open source and it does connect with the 3712, may be workable. :)

Hey, Brett, I was just looking at firmware for that receiver and I see one with a date of 2/17/2016 that list fixes for 4K. What's the date on your firmware?

-----------------------------------------------------
-------------- 20160217 --------------
-------------------------------------------------------
Full version

Keep DB version

Fixed Issue
1. On 4K resolution mode, problem to decode Video on Specific channels.
2. On 4K resolution mode, Breaking issue of captured screen.
3. Audio Passthrough problem.
4. Endless playing when you play some of SRT subtitle on File manager.
5. Unmute problem when we use EPG menu from mute mode.
6. Mixed Audio issue after using some IPTV/KODI/Youtube App..
7. Google TV log in issue after upgrading new firmware.
8. Network Firmware upgrade feature.
9. Current focused channel issue after deleting channel on channel list.
10. After watching TV via KODI, and exit, then show "adapter in use an…." message.

Fixed PVR Issue
1. File size issue(Max 4GB) on NAS File recording.
2. File name issue(Max 4GB) on FAT32 File system : ts.00 ==> 00.ts.
3. EPG Recording failure issue over 23:00 ~ 01:00 at Midnight.
4. Time-shift Buffer size setting failure.
5. Reset issue default PVR device setting after power Off/ON.
7. Fixed many issue for CAS channel recording.
8. Recording failure issue when storage has not enough space.

Added Functions
1. Added IPTV Menu.
2. Added left/Right sound selection menu.
3. 7 Seg display for Resolution changing
4. Adde MUX/TS stream Capture on Storage.
5. Recall function with <== key.
6. Transparency option for channel list/Info bar/detail info window
7. EPG progress board on INFO Bar.

HItvRemote.
1. Added LCN setting menu.
2. Support German language.
3. Support more Android Devices like Galaxy Tabs4.

Support Channel Editor on PC.

I took out the links to the actual firmware because I don't know how legit the site is, but I can email it to you if it's newer firmware than yours.

Last edited:
new fw from 0403 is on Network update!

WETEK PLAY 2S coming on 8 March, I thinkl this is better Box!

It might not even need to be rooted, I bet it's open already. Looking at that remote app, it states for Hi37XX, I may try it on the 3712 here and see if it works. ;)

Does it move a dish with DISEqC all right, or is it the same deal as with USALS?
When I tried DiSEqC it seemed like it only could store a single position. I didn't spend very much time investigating it, so I'll try it again later today.
The remote app is open source and it does connect with the 3712, may be workable. :)
Its certainly worth a try. When you run the remote app it defaults to 'localhost'. I just changed that to the IP address of my STB and it worked. I also setup port forwarding in my router, but I'm not sure that was necessary. Also, the app says that you have to be 'on the same WiFi network', but it worked with the STB plugged in to ethernet (It also has built-in WiFi but I dont use it for performance reasons.

Where is the open source for the HiTV Remote stored?
Hey, Brett, I was just looking at firmware for that receiver and I see one with a date of 2/17/2016 that list fixes for 4K. What's the date on your firmware?
I was using the 02/17 firmware.I'm now downloading the 03/04 update as mentioned by 'fredd22'.

new Firmware is on the Network update! on new fw from today 17.03. EPG Multi,Single EPG it does not work!
new is
Smart IPTV function << its pay iptv
myiptv

Blind scan is very slowly But the box has all the data channel found! 16apsk etc.. the Box lock on some low Symbolrate 512,256..
DVB-S2 PLS multistream NO! DVB-S2 multistream ??

Auto scan is very fast! 1,35 minute

I tried the newest firmware 03/17. It looks like they fixed the clock (except for the automatic time zone detection). But, as noted above, the EPG does not work. The channel database is corrupt and it loses track of the channels that have been scanned in.

After trying it out a little while I had to revert to earlier firmware. I am shocked that they would release firmware in such an unusable state.

new Firmware on 19.03

Next release....
1. Will release Channel Editor to convert from E2(Enigma2) DB to TVH DB.
2. Make Compatibility for TVH DB from inverted E2 DB
3. Will support American LNBs and Switchs.
4. More OSD Languages.
5. More IPTV service

1. Updated My IPTV UI.
2. Support loading My IPTV channel list file(iptvlist.cfg)
3. Added My IPTV channel reset function.
4. Added EPG Data reset button on EPG UI.
5. Added Chinese Language.
6. Changed default recording time based on current EPG duration.
7. Use Network Server Reference Clock.
10. Support Smart IPTV.

New SDK
1. Support more WIFI modules.
2. Updated Dolby Sound issue.
3. Updated IPTV Player.

new Firmware on 19.03

Next release....
1. Will release Channel Editor to convert from E2(Enigma2) DB to TVH DB.
2. Make Compatibility for TVH DB from inverted E2 DB
3. Will support American LNBs and Switchs.
4. More OSD Languages.
5. More IPTV service

1. Updated My IPTV UI.
2. Support loading My IPTV channel list file(iptvlist.cfg)
3. Added My IPTV channel reset function.
4. Added EPG Data reset button on EPG UI.
5. Added Chinese Language.
6. Changed default recording time based on current EPG duration.
7. Use Network Server Reference Clock.
10. Support Smart IPTV.

New SDK
1. Support more WIFI modules.
2. Updated Dolby Sound issue.
3. Updated IPTV Player.
The new 3/19 firmware is still not usable (at least for me).

With firmware releases prior to 3/17, blind scanning a satellite would add the channels to the channel list (as you would expect). With this new release, channels are often missing. There are serious bugs in the channel database. They really screwed up the software.

I was not aware there is a thread about U4 here. I will bring it to the attention of our engineers to check out on a regular basis. With recent builds, we are migrating to a newer SDK version, could be less stable. But there would be more beta releases. Until fully tested of stability, new firmware will not be on network update. To get beta releases, please visit our tec forum.

I was not aware there is a thread about U4 here. I will bring it to the attention of our engineers to check out on a regular basis. With recent builds, we are migrating to a newer SDK version, could be less stable. But there would be more beta releases. Until fully tested of stability, new firmware will not be on network update. To get beta releases, please visit our tec forum.
While its nice to see that there are frequent software updates, it is discouraging to see things that worked fine in prior releases broken -- especially when they are critical to the operation of the receiver.

I would like to ask your engineers to fix some very important items:
1) After blind scanning one or two satellites, some or all of the channels are missing from the channel list. It doesn't matter which satellites are scanned. This worked fine prior to the 03/19/2016 release.
2) USALS motor control does not move the motor when you switch satellites. It only moves the motor when you go to the motor setup screen and tell it to move the motor. It should move automatically when you switch satellites -- that is how all other satellite boxes work.
3) In releases prior to 03/19, the time is way off. In the 03/19 release the 'automatic time zone' setting is broken.You have to go in and manually set the time zone.
4) While watching any UHD channel, there are frequent pauses. Also, it will not let you record UHD.

Brett

Where is your tech forum?

While its nice to see that there are frequent software updates, it is discouraging to see things that worked fine in prior releases broken -- especially when they are critical to the operation of the receiver.

I would like to ask your engineers to fix some very important items:
1) After blind scanning one or two satellites, some or all of the channels are missing from the channel list. It doesn't matter which satellites are scanned. This worked fine prior to the 03/19/2016 release.
2) USALS motor control does not move the motor when you switch satellites. It only moves the motor when you go to the motor setup screen and tell it to move the motor. It should move automatically when you switch satellites -- that is how all other satellite boxes work.
3) In releases prior to 03/19, the time is way off. In the 03/19 release the 'automatic time zone' setting is broken.You have to go in and manually set the time zone.
4) While watching any UHD channel, there are frequent pauses. Also, it will not let you record UHD.

Brett
Hi Brett,
You have done some nice reviews.
1. If the blind scan is done under the same Satellite name, the channel list will be overwritten, old db will be lost. If search is done under different Satellite, db should be kept (added) in the same list. We will try again if with different satellite name all db will be overwritten.
2. USALS: We will check
3. Please check the forum with March 28th build where Time setting is corrected. We did receive a lot of complaints about this.
4. UHD channel is not well supported by the SoC, typically only 4k/30fps will be decoded. If there is problem with decoding, recording could not be triggered. However, please try if you could record the full transponder to get the streams kept. I am not sure if it works but worthwhile trying. In Full screen->Press "Menu"->Select "Stream Capture". If the recording works, the playout has to be with other devices capable of 4k/60fps/10bits/HDR etc depending on the nature of the stream.

Hi Brett,
You have done some nice reviews.
1. If the blind scan is done under the same Satellite name, the channel list will be overwritten, old db will be lost. If search is done under different Satellite, db should be kept (added) in the same list. We will try again if with different satellite name all db will be overwritten.
2. USALS: We will check
3. Please check the forum with March 28th build where Time setting is corrected. We did receive a lot of complaints about this.
4. UHD channel is not well supported by the SoC, typically only 4k/30fps will be decoded. If there is problem with decoding, recording could not be triggered. However, please try if you could record the full transponder to get the streams kept. I am not sure if it works but worthwhile trying. In Full screen->Press "Menu"->Select "Stream Capture". If the recording works, the playout has to be with other devices capable of 4k/60fps/10bits/HDR etc depending on the nature of the stream.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I realize that when I rescan the same satellite that it overwrites the previous channels on that same satellite. However, this is a different problem. When you scan a satellite, all or some of the channels on a different satellite are lost. And often it does not store channels that it just found. If you try this you should easily be able to reproduce the problem.

As for the March 28th build, I tried downloading it but it loads too slowly and times out. I have a very fast internet connection, so either the server is overwhelmed, or I am too far away from it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)