U4 Quad Hybrid: New UHD DVB-S2 + OTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I realize that when I rescan the same satellite that it overwrites the previous channels on that same satellite. However, this is a different problem. When you scan a satellite, all or some of the channels on a different satellite are lost. And often it does not store channels that it just found. If you try this you should easily be able to reproduce the problem.

As for the March 28th build, I tried downloading it but it loads too slowly and times out. I have a very fast internet connection, so either the server is overwhelmed, or I am too far away from it.

Hi Brett,
U4 might not keep the channels even if it sees in scan, the channels could be either data transmission or formats not supported. If it is observed with less channels it should receive, it is a problem. Otherwise it is fine. Please compare the list with a box that you know for sure gets all the channels.
Google drive should not be slow or overwhelmed. Our own server has limitation in transmission and please use the Google Drive link.

Hi Brett,
U4 might not keep the channels even if it sees in scan, the channels could be either data transmission or formats not supported. If it is observed with less channels it should receive, it is a problem. Otherwise it is fine. Please compare the list with a box that you know for sure gets all the channels.
Google drive should not be slow or overwhelmed. Our own server has limitation in transmission and please use the Google Drive link.
No, they are TV channels that are lost, not data channels. Just try it and you will see what I mean.

Where is the Google drive link?

I found the Google drive link and downloaded the March 28th build. It still has the problem with the channel list.

I had 2 different satellites scanned for a total of about 160 channels. Then I scanned a 3rd satellite and it deleted many of the channels from the other satellites. About 100 of the channels in the list were gone after the 3rd scan! This is a serious problem.

Update: They seem to have fixed the clock as long as you have it connected to the internet. Also the problem with missing channels is fixed. They added a feature where you are supposed to be able to select a group of channels by satellite, but it didn't work for me if there were more than 2 satellites in the list.

Despite its bugs, I like the U4 Quad for its dual DVB-S2 tuners, ACM capability, and the HiTVRemote app. It is now my main receiver -- at least until a HiSilicon 3798C box becomes available.

Reactions: . Raine and iBoston
Hey, let us know when you can actually watch UHD without stutters and freezes...
I guess I missed this about the U4 having this issue.
Unfortunately the A3 Combo appeared to have this issue after awhile from the posts that were made over at fridge.
I like the fact that the U4 does ACM unlike the A3 combo which does not.
Now if they would do some updates like adding manual pid entry this receiver may be the best that there is for now for 4k.

I guess I missed this about the U4 having this issue.
Unfortunately the A3 Combo appeared to have this issue after awhile from the posts that were made over at fridge.
I like the fact that the U4 does ACM unlike the A3 combo which does not.
Now if they would do some updates like adding manual pid entry this receiver may be the best that there is for now for 4k.
I had assumed that the U4 did ACM. However, I had not tried it in a long time and checked it the other day. Now it stutters on ACM and makes the music not worth listening to. I don't know if this is a firmware bug, or if the satellite was having a bad day when I tried.

I never tried the firmware from Veronica Wei as mentioned by fred22 in post #85 here. I am afraid to because it is not 'official'.

It appears that Vivant has dropped support for this box, as there have been no recent firmware releases and the bugs are abundant. However, its still a decent dual tuner receiver for HD and the HiTVRemote app is very nice. When used with an Android tablet, its like having a portable touchscreen FTA box!

Factories introduce and drop models regularly and it is quite common to have a model offered for a year or less. The end user is now often bypassing the distributor and purchasing directly from the manufacturer. The distributor typically plans for a longer lifecycle and purchases accordingly. You are now simply observing the true lifecycle of STBs! :D

I had assumed that the U4 did ACM. However, I had not tried it in a long time and checked it the other day. Now it stutters on ACM and makes the music not worth listening to.

That is sad to hear. I thought this receiver was better then the reviews I am now hearing.

You would think that the software can move forward from device to device.. Why are there so many software issues with these devices.

I have thought the exact same thing, you would have thought that the programmers would build upon what has worked so well in the past and move on from there.
Geeze, if one would only due some diligence before releasing a product they would fine a list of questions that come up time and time again.
Take those and work on it from there and the product would be a winner right out of the box with very few firmware updates!

Or is it maybe the ones bringing out the product enjoy the drama?

Reactions: iBoston and N6BY
I have thought the exact same thing, you would have thought that the programmers would build upon what has worked so well in the past and move on from there....
I think Vivant is the same company that did the HDVR3500 firmware. So I guess they didn't have much to build off of. :)

Why would they drop support? Isn't the darn thing like 6 months old?!?! Figures...
From what I've heard they are struggling financially. And all remaining resources are working on the 'do or die' next product, which is a Hi3798 box.

I think Vivant is the same company that did the HDVR3500 firmware. So I guess they didn't have much to build off of

From reading the 3500 thread they are starting out six foot under at the start then!

Sure hope something else comes along as anything like the 3500 would be disastrous.

Now more than ever a DVB Android open source app is needed.

Looks great with many of the right ideas but if they've been assisting since 2009 doesn't sounds like its working ;)

I use the box no longer .. only occasionally turn and movies on Kodi or iptv to zap around!
Android and Sat is largest scrap! only for Kodi is good! when storing more than 4000-5000 Satellites Channels then spins the box and is very lame!
I bought before about 1 year Hisilicon openbox diamond hi3712 box and after 2 software no longer update ..
what I saw then, the seller is away from ALIBABA.,has probably his account deleted! Cheater Company!

which probably bring a new box HISILICON 3798CV200 https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hi3798cv200-dvb-ready-david-zhao

Jepssen Mediabox HD M3, GEOSATpro HDVR 3500, Openbox Diamond, Vivants all from Vivant tech scrap Box!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts