U521 software update

Overview
As part of the continuing improvement of DISH products, receiver software updates are periodically released. Beginning 7/27/18, a new software version will be deployed to all models of Hopper and Joeys. The updated software will deploy to new and existing installations. A Wally software update is planned for a future date.

July software release details:

• YouTube kids will be available on Hopper w/ Sling!
    • Look for the YouTube kids tile in the Menu or find it in the EPG!
    • YouTube kids on the Hopper 3 is planned to launch at a future date
  • Netflix reliability improvements
  • DVR playback fix for dual Hopper installs
  • Software update functionality change
    • Beginning with this software version, the first software update after a new install will occur during the first overnight standby cycle instead of when the receiver is manually put into standby
    • To manually update, use the Upgrade Software tile in Menu>Settings>Diagnostics>Tools
      • Using this tile will now also check for and download any necessary Joey software

Great day for owners that have two Hopper3 receivers.
Trick play (rewind, pause, skip forward, and stop) work again when playing a program from the remote Hopper3. They need to stop so they don’t break it again. Thank you Dish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
It's time to do the plunge navychop! :shh

I got it right off the top in the usual non-scheduled daily update that once again waited until I turned the machine on, instead of doing the update while it was "off" all night. I think it's either messing with me or being curteous and allowing me to experience the birth (installation) of the new FW.

Now I am really afraid and will most definitely need at least a 6 of that "religion".

Great day for owners that have two Hopper3 receivers.
Trick play (rewind, pause, skip forward, and stop) work again when playing a program from the remote Hopper3. They need to stop so they don’t break it again. Thank you Dish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

"FOR EVERYONE!!!" (I share)

_1.jpg

Curious though. My secondary H3 got it at 5:30am, while in use and the main H3 got it at 8:30am while in use. Hmmm . . . .

Does it take any time to "settle in" before the dual H3 interactive features work properly, or do they "just work"?

Last edited:
Hopper Netflix speed is still slow. Netflix speed from my Hopper 3 is 18.73 Mbps. Netflix recommends 25 Mbps for 4k.

I look forward to having a ‘problem’ with 18.7 Mpbs being ‘slow.’ I just have 4 Mbps DSL now, I can watch in pretty good quality. We have 1 gig fiber coming down the road, REA coop said it will be a few more months before they’re ready to start installs. Hoping they’ll be ready around Christmas or the first of the year. Would be a nice Xmas present.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hopper Netflix speed is still slow. Netflix speed from my Hopper 3 is 18.73 Mbps. Netflix recommends 25 Mbps for 4k.

Although VOD has been DLing up to 60Mbps. Netflix is still at about 32Mbps. The shows that are UHD are now showing UHD/Ultra HD instead of HD and I have dink with the box which I really don't care because the app on the my TV give a far better picture. ALTHOUGH, VOD PQ on these boxes far out weigh standard Sat trans. It's now stating the correct info in the headers, but my TV is not getting the stream as UHD. It hasn't done the "check the resolution black out" since I last visited that here. So I am getting the correct description, but not the resolution.

Although VOD has been DLing up to 60Mbps. Netflix is still at about 32Mbps. The shows that are UHD are now showing UHD/Ultra HD instead of HD and I have dink with the box which I really don't care because the app on the my TV give a far better picture. ALTHOUGH, VOD PQ on these boxes far out weigh standard Sat trans. It's now stating the correct info in the headers, but my TV is not getting the stream as UHD. It hasn't done the "check the resolution black out" since I last visited that here. So I am getting the correct description, but not the resolution.
I know how to test internet speed for my H3. How do I test the internet speed when I am connected to Netflix?

I wonder if Netflix is somehow using a USB network emulator to get its Network connection? Since its an app which does not have access to many of the features of the Hopper directly I wonder if there is some kind of emulation inbetween causing the speed issues.
I don't know. MattG is aware of the issue but haven't heard back from him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)