UCONN Coach Edsall Leaving for maryland

What sucks here is another college who suffers because a coach can leave for more money. I am just speculating, but Edsall built too much here, so how can he leave ? Money!

Makes perfect sense. UConn is a mid-major. A winning player wants to test himself versus other winners. When you are recruiting to UConn, you are recruiting to a random collection of unrelated schools and, except for a few WV natives playing at WVU and a very few western Pennsylvanians playing at Pitt, a league where every player is playing somewhere he settled for. Not one little boy anywhere in the world is praying that he grow up to play for Cincinnati. You are offering kids a chance to play before tarped off sections of seats and seas of empty seats in a league where all of the fans pretty much know each other.

Edsall moves up to a mid-pack ACC team. Clear move up.

This sucks for UCONN football. They really needed to keep status-quo to be good.

Smart move, Maryland has better facilities and a program that even this year had a winning season. I would put Maryland #2 this year in the ACC since a few lame mistake calls cost them that spot.

Edsel_Corsair_1959.jpg

Maryland is losing its wide receivers but bringing back its freshman starting quarterback and running backs. I think Maryland is now a superficially appealing destination for some wide receiver recruits, having gone 9-4 (perhaps the weakest 9-4 team ever, as they only had one win against a team with a winning record), ostensibly being committed to the same quarterback for the next three seasons (he doesn't look like an early draft entry candidate to me), being in a metropolitan market, and having a little athletic history (mostly basketball, but Boomer Esiason went there).

Smart move, Maryland has better facilities and a program that even this year had a winning season. I would put Maryland #2 this year in the ACC since a few lame mistake calls cost them that spot.

on what planet does Maryland have better facilities? We have a nicer, newer stadium, and one of the best football facilities, nationally. Period. Totally uninformed post.

on what planet does Maryland have better facilities? We have a nicer, newer stadium, and one of the best football facilities, nationally. Period. Totally uninformed post.

Oh don't mind him...he is on this "facilities" thing and your post officially prove it in here that has nothing to do with it. I have YET to find a quote from a recruit stating he went to a certain university because they had better facilities. THAT is coaches talk and the hot lingo among those in the media.

Oh don't mind him...he is on this "facilities" thing and your post officially prove it in here that has nothing to do with it. I have YET to find a quote from a recruit stating he went to a certain university because they had better facilities. THAT is coaches talk and the hot lingo among those in the media.
I dont have a clue who has better facilities between those two, but in this day and age, yes, nicer facilities can be a swing point for recruits.
Most else being equal between two schools recruiting you, why wouldnt it be in your mind?

I've been to the Terps stadium.. and I've been to Uconn's and Maryland's is by far nicer and better with all the recent upgrades. So nope.. not uninformed and I'm not trying to step on your toes here.. He made the best move for those reasons but mostly from a recruiting stand point having more options with a better program.

Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium - it's the first-class home to the Maryland Terrapins and has recently gone through a major upgrade which makes it one of the top collegiate facilities in the country.

In 1991, construction was completed on a beautiful new football complex - since named the Gossett Football Team House - just beyond the east end zone. This $7 million building houses football coaching offices, meeting areas, academic computer lab, locker rooms, weight room facility and a medical support area.
2007 - In the spring, Maryland Athletics announced the $50.8 million stadium expansion project which includes 64 luxury suites, 440 new mezzanine-level seats, a presidential suite for 200 guests, new work areas for television, radio and print media, a new team shop and a state-of-the-art scoreboard. Construction began at the conclusion of the regular season.
2008 - A $1.2 million state-of-the-art scoreboard is installed prior to the regular season.
2009 - The completion of the $50.8 million expansion project. The name of the facility is changed to Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.
Maryland Athletics - University of Maryland Official Athletic Site

Oh don't mind him...he is on this "facilities" thing

Makes a big difference when your home field is nearly 50miles away from your school doesn't it.

I've been to the Terps stadium.. and I've been to Uconn's and Maryland's is by far nicer and better with all the recent upgrades. So nope.. not uninformed and I'm not trying to step on your toes here.. He made the best move for those reasons but mostly from a recruiting stand point having more options with a better program.

Maryland Athletics - University of Maryland Official Athletic Site

The only item of interest for recruits there is that the "new" athletic facilities are 20 years old now. They could care less about luxury suites, etc.

I made money off Byrd Stadium. TV signals from the Wisconsin Ave. transmitters bounce off it and hit the antenna array I service a couple of miles to the north of it, making for unsightly multiple images, so I had to relocate them.

Byrd Stadium has an ungodley long trek to get to the upper deck, with it's causeway.
Otherwise the stadium is mearly average. Good for ACC standards (not counting FSU), but average or less for the SEC and Big Ten.

Comcast Center on the other hand is excellent (after all, the ACC is foremost a B-Ball conference, same as the Big East).

I visit every year when GT is up for B-ball, and the occasional time that they meet in football.

The ACC is a step up in football from the Big East, but don't forget that the ACC itself is a stepping stone to other conferences (Big Ten, SEC, Big 12).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts