uhf antenna recommendations

not necessarily need to be guyed

My antennas are about 50 feet off the ground but they are on the peak of the roof. Both on 3 foot tripod with a 5 or 6 foot mast. Had to make sure I was within OTARD range of no more than 12 feet above roof to keep the association off my back ;) (even though I'm on the board)

When trying to get distant stations its amazing how much a little extra height (say 5-10 feet) can make

mine is suppose to pick up 60+ miles. i have to be in a dead spot because the neighbors 150 yards away get the stations i want,lol

Also and most likely is his antenna is just out performing yours and in this case size maybe everything.

What pre-amp are you using? Is it a newer high gain low noise model? Some of the older pre-amps were very noisy, and only helped slightly. If you do not have any local high powered stations to contend with a Channel Master CM-7777 is a good pre-amp. Winegard also have low noise high gain models.

Have you actually tried adjusting the amp to see if it is even working? On a local station see if turning down the gain does anything to the meter on your TV tuner. Also you never mentioned what TV tuners you and your neighbor are using.

Have you actually tried adjusting the amp to see if it is even working? On a local station see if turning down the gain does anything to the meter on your TV tuner. Also you never mentioned what TV tuners you and your neighbor are using.
i turn the gain up and down and WJKT stays at 96% either way. my antenna is going into my dish network 722. i have tried it straight into my sanyo tv and the same results. the neighbors antenna is connected to a rca converter box. the antenna is going to the 3rd room. their main tvs are hooked up to dish network.

i hooked up my distribution amp and wlmt comes in all the time but pixelates all the time (at 56% signal). new pre-amp time i guess.

What amp do you have and what are the gains for uhf and vhf?I have an antennacraft 10G202.It has 29db gain for uhf and vhf.On a 4 bay philips uhf antenna I pull in channels from 200 miles in the 60's and 70's.Granted pretty high elevation but we have a lot of higher peaks here that block and bounce signals as well.I have had a few channel master amps over the yrs but the antennacraft has worked much better.I stiill think you would have been better off going with the 91XG antenna as its better for fringe or deep fringe signals.But if you do decide to get a new preamp I recommend the antennacraft 10G202.

http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-High-Premium-Grade-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B002IY5948

What amp do you have and what are the gains for uhf and vhf?I have an antennacraft 10G202.It has 29db gain for uhf and vhf.On a 4 bay philips uhf antenna I pull in channels from 200 miles in the 60's and 70's.Granted pretty high elevation but we have a lot of higher peaks here that block and bounce signals as well.I have had a few channel master amps over the yrs but the antennacraft has worked much better.I stiill think you would have been better off going with the 91XG antenna as its better for fringe or deep fringe signals.But if you do decide to get a new preamp I recommend the antennacraft 10G202.

Amazon.com: Antennacraft High Gain Premium Grade VHF/UHF Pre-Amplifier: Electronics

mine is the 10g212. it doesn't pull them in but a distribution amp does? its not watchable but its still in.

Last edited:
I must be missing something here but is this some really long run of cable to be using two amps? Anyway now that you have a picture try adjusting the gain on the preamp and see if the signal numbers change. Take note at what point between minimum and maximum gain that the signal goes away. You really need to figure out if this preamp is doing its job.

I must be missing something here but is this some really long run of cable to be using two amps? Anyway now that you have a picture try adjusting the gain on the preamp and see if the signal numbers change. Take note at what point between minimum and maximum gain that the signal goes away. You really need to figure out if this preamp is doing its job.
i disconnected the pre-amp and am using just the distribution amp. i will connect both at once and see what i get

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts