uhf antenna recommendations

UHF at 70 miles may be a stretch per your tvfool in the other thread.

TV Fool

Try the UHF antenna without the amp alone then with the amp. I remember you were going to combine the VHF & UHF together and that may be causing an issue
i have tried with and without the amp,same results. i have not connected the vhf yet. next door neighbor has a radioshack antenna and its getting all the memphis stations.

Do you get any stations in any direction with it? Tuner sensitivity and atmospheric conditions can play a big role. Also if I remember right your other antenna is pointing directly at a tree. Is there anything blocking the view of the towers like trees or buildings with this one?

Do you get any stations in any direction with it? Tuner sensitivity and atmospheric conditions can play a big role. Also if I remember right your other antenna is pointing directly at a tree. Is there anything blocking the view of the towers like trees or buildings with this one?
i get WBBJ,WJKT,and WLJT very good. all are within 35 miles. there is a tree about 10 feet to the left, close to the antenna. there is another tree about 10 feet to the right about 30 yards from the antenna. the antenna is pointed between those two with a clear LOS. there are no branches or anything in the LOS.

Tropo is generally considered to be beyond 200 miles because the reflection of radio waves off the troposphere must be shallow enough that the they actually reflect and do not just continue out into space.

Those stations are two edge and not far enough away for tropospheric reflection to have any say in it, but local atmospheric conditions such as a weather front or a dry line may enhance or attenuate TV reception.

Tropo is generally considered to be beyond 200 miles because the reflection of radio waves off the troposphere must be shallow enough that the they actually reflect and do not just continue out into space.

Those stations are two edge and not far enough away for tropospheric reflection to have any say in it, but local atmospheric conditions such as a weather front or a dry line may enhance or attenuate TV reception.
ok. i did not know that,thanks. i moved my antenna up today. its between 35 and 40 feet up and thats where i am going to leave it. all locals are 95% to 100% now. its really flat from my house to memphis. what makes those signals 2edge?

I was looking at Ice Berg's TVFool report from post #22.

It shows Memphis stations are 2 edge from your location, even though the terrain is relatively flat, there are a couple of small "peaks" between you and Memphis that both require she signal refract over them (not uncommon at 70 miles).

Looking at the signal pattern for channel 25, there appears to be a small ridge about 20 miles west of you and another about 5 miles west - your two refraction points from Memphis.

Generally the higher your antenna the better in two edge reception situations.

Last edited:
ok. i did not know that,thanks. i moved my antenna up today. its between 35 and 40 feet up and thats where i am going to leave it. all locals are 95% to 100% now. its really flat from my house to memphis. what makes those signals 2edge?

I had come across this site some time ago and thought you and others might find it interesting reading.

Erecting an Antenna

I was looking at Ice Berg's TVFool report from post #22.

It shows Memphis stations are 2 edge from your location, even though the terrain is relatively flat, there are a couple of small "peaks" between you and Memphis that both require she signal refract over them (not uncommon at 70 miles).

Looking at the signal pattern for channel 25, there appears to be a small ridge about 20 miles west of you and another about 5 miles west - your two refraction points from Memphis.

Generally the higher your antenna the better in two edge reception situations.
i think i am as high as i can go safely now. the antenna is about 35 feet up now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts