UI upgrade has RUINED Hopper 1 usability

FogNoggin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Kingston, NY
I know this isn't a new topic, but I only downloaded the upgrade 24 hours ago so I'm still in shock. I've gone from perfectly happy to disgusted. My Hopper 1 is now a slow sluggish relic of what was cutting edge tech only 5 years ago. It's not unusable, it's insufferable. My Hopper is now the sort of rickety DVR I recall using when I was a Time Warner customer.

The point of this post: Is there any way to rollback the upgrade to the previous UI?

SHAME ON DISH. You can't tell me they didn't test this s**t. Is this what they deem acceptable?

Dish DID say that the Hopper 1 wouldn't be upgraded because it was unuseably slow. Then they said that they were going to do it anyway. I said that they should be sued for releasing a defective product, it would be an open-and-shut case. People said I was being ridiculous and it would be an abuse of the legal system. WTH?

Just finished an online chat with Dish. I got the expected offer to upgrade to the Hopper 3 for $100. I'm so angry. I've been 100% satisfied with Dish for almost 10 years. Now they burn me by remote control overnight and I don't even have a choice in the matter. What do you call a "cord-cutter" who leaves a satellite TV company?

Oh, BTW, there's no way to rollback the UI.

Reactions: TheKrell
Cancel your service, come back in 6 months with all the perks of a new customer.

I just emailed a warning to my daughter and son-in-law, they have an H1 and I told them to watch out for the "upgrade" and insist on a FREE H2 at least.

Cancel your service, come back in 6 months with all the perks of a new customer.

I just emailed a warning to my daughter and son-in-law, they have an H1 and I told them to watch out for the "upgrade" and insist on a FREE H2 at least.

Isn't only like 60 days, not 6 months?

Just finished an online chat with Dish. I got the expected offer to upgrade to the Hopper 3 for $100. I'm so angry. I've been 100% satisfied with Dish for almost 10 years. Now they burn me by remote control overnight and I don't even have a choice in the matter. What do you call a "cord-cutter" who leaves a satellite TV company?

Send them a picture of your avatar. That'll let them know you're serious. ;)

After 13 years with Dish, I switched to Playstation Vue instead of Dish 3 months ago and still love it. If you are really serious about it then why not give it a try? If you don't like it, you can come back to Dish in 6 months and get all the new customer perks.

What about the HWS if you don't want to upgrade to the H3? Have you spoke with retentions?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: DWS44
Exactly...go through the executive office like the guy in the other thread, and you'll probably get a free HWS, which will be a lot more usable than the H1 now.

If you ask me $100 is a bargain for the Hopper 3, especially if that includes upgraded Joeys and installation. I paid well over $300 for the H3, of course, I "purchased" it without a contract extension. I should also add, I got it before it was even "officially" released. I had to wait a couple of days for Dish to activate it.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish DID say that the Hopper 1 wouldn't be upgraded because it was unuseably slow. Then they said that they were going to do it anyway. I said that they should be sued for releasing a defective product, it would be an open-and-shut case. People said I was being ridiculous and it would be an abuse of the legal system. WTH?

The original CUI software was too much for the H1 but the software has gone through an evolution and is much more suitable now. We install H1's for new customers coming from cable who don't qualify for an H2 or an H3 and they all remark what a great receiver it is and how much better it is than what they had with the cable company.

Your 'lawsuit' would probably be a matter of some entertainment for the court staff as it has been here.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Cancel your service, come back in 6 months with all the perks of a new customer..

Including the inability to play any of your old recordings...

After 13 years with Dish, I switched to Playstation Vue instead of Dish 3 months ago and still love it. If you are really serious about it then why not give it a try?

That would work for people with decent internet service, which excludes a lot of people.

The original CUI software was too much for the H1 but the software has gone through an evolution and is much more suitable now.

Not according to the original poster...

Dish wins. I'm a beaten man. After suffering with the new Hopper interface for the past two weeks, I ordered an upgrade to the Hopper 3. $100 and a 2-year commitment.

I can't explain how slow my Hopper is now. I press the DVR button to get to my recordings and it takes a FULL 7 SECONDS for that screen to load. It's as if I'm back in the 80's downloading photos on dial-up. Everything else is equally sloggy or just broken. Miserable. I'd love to know their motive in forcing this crap UI to machines that obviously can't handle it.

WARNING: The primary reason I ordered an upgrade today is that "The new Hopper interface will automatically download to your receiver on 6/22/2017". A nice gift many will wake up to on Thursday. I'm predicting Dish will flat run out of Hopper 3's as angry customers come to the same realization I did, give up, and upgrade. Install wait times will be weeks, not days. Sad to be "forced" into this. Despite it all, it's hard to beat Dish.

I tried not to. It was either pay for the upgrade, suffer with the crippled Hopper1, or walk. Walk to what? What's better? Cable always offers me some every enticing 12-month rates, but cheap don't make it good.
I sympathize with your situation. However, before I would have agreed to a "paid" upgrade, I would have pursued the matter with DIRT first. Regardless, despite the bad taste in your mouth now, you will be pleased with the H3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts