Umpire missed the 27th out and ruined a perfect game

Wasn't actually the 26th out?, the 27th out was a ground out thereafter.

Here is the problem MLB is going to have to deal with. Listening to Sports radio this morning they asked a very good question . Have blown calls in the past gone in the Pitchers favor? Close calls or even strikes out of the strike zone? I have many no hitters in my archives and I bet if I looked at them I could find blown calls that favored the pitcher. It's something MLB will have to ask themselves. The difference might be that the Umpire did admit his mistake. But how many Umpires had the advantage of seeing the replay after a blown call in the past?. And how many teams complained about a blown call during a game that might have happened early in the game that later was a no hitter.

This is what I was thinking, why can't the commissioner just reverse the call? It's obvious that the umpire made a mistake, he apologized for it.
Just my opinion, but you cannot correct a mistake by making another mistake. Since there was no "instant replay" provision in effect to overrule the call made on the field at the time...sadly, the play should stand as called. Personally, the NHL Commissioner could have reversed the Wings-Sharks series due to referee ineptness, but doing so just opens the proverbial Pandora's box. Could you image if every game/match/series were subject to a formal appeals process? Why have umps/refs? Just play the game and let a bunch of lawyers argue who won. It would be Tivo vs. EchoStar over, and over, and over again.

Of course, I could be wrong... :eek:

Here's hoping the Detroit crowd will be just as classy as everyone else in this saga has been, and will give Jim Joyce an ovation as he takes the field this afternoon.

Sandra

I think every day in Detroit is gun day ;)

by the way...no promos according to the Tigers website..next promo is fireworks on 6/11...oh and a 60oz beer pitcher for 1st 5000 fans 21 and older :)

Just my opinion, but you cannot correct a mistake by making another mistake. Since there was no "instant replay" provision in effect to overrule the call made on the field at the time...sadly, the play should stand as called. Personally, the NHL Commissioner could have reversed the Wings-Sharks series due to referee ineptness, but doing so just opens the proverbial Pandora's box. Could you image if every game/match/series were subject to a formal appeals process? Why have umps/refs? Just play the game and let a bunch of lawyers argue who won. It would be Tivo vs. EchoStar over, and over, and over again.

Of course, I could be wrong... :eek:

I respect your opinion, you've always been a gentleman. :) I agree that reversing the call will open up a can of worms but the commissioner could just say it's a one time reverse call. Just like when he stopped the All Star game. It just feels so wrong to take away the perfect game from Galarraga.

Here's hoping the Detroit crowd will be just as classy as everyone else in this saga has been, and will give Jim Joyce an ovation as he takes the field this afternoon.

Sandra
The fans weren't too happy yesterday but Jim Joyce did the right thing post-game so the incident will be quickly forgotten. While every town has their fair-share of idiots, Detroit fans are generally well-behaved and appreciative...but I would not expect an ovation, in fact, it would be wise to place Joyce as the second base umpire in this afternoons game.

I respect your opinion, you've always been a gentleman. :) I agree that reversing the call will open up a can of worms but the commissioner could just say it's a one time reverse call. Just like when he stopped the All Star game. It just feels so wrong to take away the perfect game from Galarraga.
It really is a tough call because either choice invites criticism and there is no doubt Galarraga was robbed of his perfect game. Perhaps this is one of those "In the best interested of the game" decisions the Commissioner will have. As much as I would like to see Galarraga awarded his perfect game, modifying the rules to do so just doesn't seem right either.

It really is a tough call because either choice invites criticism and there is no doubt Galarraga was robbed of his perfect game. Perhaps this is one of those "In the best interested of the game" decisions the Commissioner will have. As much as I would like to see Galarraga awarded his perfect game, modifying the rules to do so just doesn't seem right either.

I agree. To me it would feel hollow to be awarded the perfect game, even though he had indeed earned it on the field.

I agree that reversing the call will open up a can of worms but the commissioner could just say it's a one time reverse call.

Yes it would open a can of worms. Heck the Twins last night lost because of a blown call at the end of the game (bottom of 10th)

2 outs man on 1st and 2nd and Ichiro hits a roller to 2nd base who shovels to Hardy to beat the runner by a good step to step and half (kinda like in Detroit) yet he is called safe. Guy on 2nd already had rounded 3rd and Hardy throws home but Mijares thought the baseball was a doughnut and cut the ball off

The good news is a fan reached out to Jim Joyce and shook his hand as he went onto the field. The bad news is that same fan lifted his wallet.
Joke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)