Understanding SWM - I think I got it

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice...I didn't realize I could just get an SWS-8 and go from there. If we ever hook up extra TVs in the house, they'd be in locations that would rarely get used, but if they were being used, a group would be watching so we wouldn't need to have all 8 tuners free for other things.

So that's great news and I'm now really happy we got the SWM LNB. Now, to return the SWM and SWS to SolidSignal. I figure they'll charge a restocking fee, but any cash I could get back now is gravy.

The only thing left is to get my HR-22's up and running...

diplexer's wont work. you need swm lnb has 1 output and a eight way splitter remember dvr's counts as two tuner's on the splitter so 4 dvr's max out the splitter 4x2=8. Don't forget the power supply or it wont work nice only 1 line to swm input on the dvr's

diplexer's wont work. you need swm lnb has 1 output and a eight way splitter remember dvr's counts as two tuner's on the splitter so 4 dvr's max out the splitter 4x2=8. Don't forget the power supply or it wont work nice only 1 line to swm input on the dvr's

Diplexers do work with SWM. I know because this is how my setup is. They may not be supported by DirecTV but, do work.

Yes you have to keep in mind DVR's count as 2 but, again as I said earlier, you have a max of 8 tuners consecutively working. You can have 4 DVR's and 2 standard receivers. If one of the DVR's is not in use (turned off and nothing recording), there are 2 tuners available for the stand recivers to be used.

With the DVR's you only need connection to tuner 1 and with HD you don't need BBC's. In either case you need the Power Inserter, or you won't have picture at all. No power to the SWM means no TV for you.

SWM

first post ever.

i just recently renegotiated my directv contract - it took several hours on the phone, but i got a good deal. anyways, i'm getting 2 HD-DVR's, had the tech out this morning - that is when i found out about the 2nd coax deal (i didn't know, and only have one line per room)- i currently have the standard 5LNB dish, he said to call DTV and request the updated SWM dish. now, the only thing i know about SWM is from what i've read in the last 20 minutes on this site, so bear with me. I understand that with my current 5LNB, I can have just one line to the DVR's and be limited to only recording what i'm watching (and nothing else). Now, my question is this - will this updated SWM dish give me the same DVR abilities as if I had 2 coax's plugged to it (with only 1)? or, am i going to be limited to recording 1 show while watching 1 other? or, do i need some special equipment that DirecTV will not provide?

thanks in advance for any responses.

first post ever.

i just recently renegotiated my directv contract - it took several hours on the phone, but i got a good deal. anyways, i'm getting 2 HD-DVR's, had the tech out this morning - that is when i found out about the 2nd coax deal (i didn't know, and only have one line per room)- i currently have the standard 5LNB dish, he said to call DTV and request the updated SWM dish. now, the only thing i know about SWM is from what i've read in the last 20 minutes on this site, so bear with me. I understand that with my current 5LNB, I can have just one line to the DVR's and be limited to only recording what i'm watching (and nothing else). Now, my question is this - will this updated SWM dish give me the same DVR abilities as if I had 2 coax's plugged to it (with only 1)? or, am i going to be limited to recording 1 show while watching 1 other? or, do i need some special equipment that DirecTV will not provide?

thanks in advance for any responses.

Yes, it will work the same as if you had two cables. The SWM dish (or an external SWM) can handle up to 8 tuners. DVRs (which count as two tuners) have an internal splitter and only a single cable is required (to the SAT-1/SWM input connector). Since there is only one output on that dish, you will need a 2-way splitter to feed the two DVRs. The SWS-2 is the approved type. I have heard that they will normally only supply the SWM version if you have 5 or more tuners, but hopefully they will make an exception for you if you don't have any other receivers. You can also purchase an external SWM to use with your current dish: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Zinwell/swm8-KIT-DIRECTV-SINGLE-WIRE-multi-switch-KIT.htm.

It's been a few weeks with my SWM and I love it. I easily returned all the parts I ordered to SolidSignal.com and they were great to work with, quickly issuing refunds - I just had to pay shipping costs (my fault, so not a problem).

I had a slight issue with the DVRs, but DirecTV quickly remedied the problem and I had everything hooked up and ready to go - the two HR-21's and the two HR-22's on the first Sunday of football, only to wake up and see no football coming through. I called DirecTV and found out that when I activated the new receivers, I lost all my programming, so they quickly restored it and I've been happy ever since.

The SWM works flawlessly with the four HD DVRs only having one line running to them and I am in love with the picture quality and capabilities of the HD DVRs.

I just wish I found DirecTV before we first had Time Warner come out and then switched to AT&T Uverse...

Ok here is more info. This is the training manual for the SWM info. Go to this link and if you are asked for a user name and password its as follows.

But the PDF's will explain the SWM technology end of discussion.

Username: dealer
PW: dtvtrain1

There shouldnt be any posts past this except for thanks.

Also it has a very nice powerpoint presentation too with it

Ok here is more info. This is the training manual for the SWM info. Go to this link and if you are asked for a user name and password its as follows.

But the PDF's will explain the SWM technology end of discussion.

Username: dealer
PW: dtvtrain1

There shouldnt be any posts past this except for thanks.

Also it has a very nice powerpoint presentation too with it

I didn't see any link in that post, but it may be this PDF: http://forums.directv.com/pe/Reposi...96641/SWM - Integrated LNB-ModuleTraining.pdf.

Update:

I got my diplexers today and installed them. All works well. Having 1 line to each HD DVR with diplexed OTA is great. I should have done this when I first got the SWM LNB. Thanks everyone for your help.

What diplexers (brand/model) did you find that worked ??

SWM installed, ending up with two dishes

I had two cables coming in from outside. I have 3 HD DVRs and 2 Non HD DVRs.
Installer said one splitter would work, one line in and 8 lines out. He also used a power unit inside. Well only 4 lines in worked so we got 4 receivers working. He said to get the 5th receiver to work we would have to install a 2nd dish as the one line from dish 1 was used and he could not hook up a 2nd splitter from dish 1. He said they normally charge for the 2nd dish but he would do it for free but I could feel free to tip him. He installs a 2nd dish and a 2nd splitter and everything worked fine.

This was a move package from one location to another. I have been a Directv customer since Directv started. They did give me an additional HR22 for $99. and it was the new model (100 hrs HD). Also I did ask if I could split one of the lines coming in to serve two rooms and he said no, you could not split any lines coming from the SWM unit. I read where that is incorrect. He also said SWM would not work with my HR20 unit which was also incorrect. It worked fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts