Understanding SWM - I think I got it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blakex

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Orange, CA
So my install date is the 30th. I balked in another thread at the realization you have to run two coax lines to each box. I just recently moved in and installed coax to each room which I thought would be sufficient - but I guess not if we all want DVRs and the ability to record two shows at once or watch live TV while recording another show.

So the SWM was mentioned and I think I understand the gist of it. I can get an SWM-8 from some online store and then I need to buy some sort of 4 way splitter to run single lines to each DVR?

Here is a PDF I found on SWM8.com which I think explains how I need to set up my system:

http://www.swm8.com/3-4DVR-SWM1-1SPLIT.pdf

So I buy the SWM8 Multiswitch and hook up a SWS-4 Splitter and then off of that, I just run the coax to each box - correct?

The gal on the phone stated they will be installing HR-21s, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

And lastly, will the DirecTV installer help me with the multiswitch? Or will he just do a basic install and make me install the multiswitch. And is the multiswitch covered under DirecTV? Or if something goes wrong will they immediately blame it on the Multiswitch and tell me to uninstall it before they can help me?

or you could just buy a swm lnb. there are some on ebay for a little more that $100. i got mine for $125. works great. how many dvr's do you have? if you have no more that 4 this would be a good solution. 1 wire to each dvr.

If you utilize the OTA port on the SWM8 can you use any diplexer (40-2150Mhz) to separate the signal at the receiver or does it need to be a special diplexer rated for SWM?

With the national kickoff of the swm equipment, if you install at least one hd dvr, chances are D* will flag your install as a SWM. Needless to say, you'll want a qualified tech to do the install. Just like everything else that's new, it's not entirely bug-free.

If you utilize the OTA port on the SWM8 can you use any diplexer (40-2150Mhz) to separate the signal at the receiver or does it need to be a special diplexer rated for SWM?
There is no OTA port on the splitter. There is currently no diplexer compatible with the SWM.

I'm telling you that this new technology is unsuccessful in the field. If you've successfuly installed one out in the field, I'd like to hear of the results. We've had to wire the SWM a different way for it to work properly.

I'm telling you that this new technology is unsuccessful in the field. If you've successfuly installed one out in the field, I'd like to hear of the results. We've had to wire the SWM a different way for it to work properly.

satninja,

I am currently installing this system & will let you know how it goes. I've heard nothing but good things from the test markets & am looking forward to the experience. As I switch rooms to DVR units I'd rather not go through the hassle of three runs to each room. I am confused by your comments though since you have field experience with this setup. You said there is no OTA feed for this switch yet there is clearly an OTA port located just below the SWM port.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is the “OFF-AIR” port for?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SWM has an input for an off-air antenna. The SWM can carry both DIRECTV satellite signal and off-air antenna signal. If you wish to use an off-air antenna, you will connect the off-air antenna directly into the SWM, and then all outputs from the SWM will carry the DIRECTV and off-air signal. You must then use a special splitter, called a diplexer, to separate the two frequencies before connecting the output to a receiver. Please be careful with your selection of diplexers—not all work properly with a SWM. [/FONT]

I am not going to be using any sort of OTA signal, so I really don't care about that. But from what I think I'm reading here, I could get an LNB dish with SWM built in?

We are going to have 4 DVRs installed, however, in the future, we will probably be adding at least 1, but maybe 2 more TVs to our house, so I need the ability to go up to 10 "signals" I guess?

So it seems the SWM LNB dish only goes up to 8, so again, my best bet is to go with the SWM-8 and buy the 1x4 splitter? And in the future, I can hook other TV installations up to the SWM-8 like normal?

satninja,

I am currently installing this system & will let you know how it goes. I've heard nothing but good things from the test markets & am looking forward to the experience. As I switch rooms to DVR units I'd rather not go through the hassle of three runs to each room. I am confused by your comments though since you have field experience with this setup. You said there is no OTA feed for this switch yet there is clearly an OTA port located just below the SWM port.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is the “OFF-AIR” port for?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SWM has an input for an off-air antenna. The SWM can carry both DIRECTV satellite signal and off-air antenna signal. If you wish to use an off-air antenna, you will connect the off-air antenna directly into the SWM, and then all outputs from the SWM will carry the DIRECTV and off-air signal. You must then use a special splitter, called a diplexer, to separate the two frequencies before connecting the output to a receiver. Please be careful with your selection of diplexers—not all work properly with a SWM. [/FONT]
Thank you for the info. Here in la, we've been given the SWM8 splitter w/o the legacy ports and ota ports for diplexing. I'm looking forward to that particuar switch as we have a wider capablility for expansion. Thanks!!

I done in the field about 15, SWMLBN or SWM-8

Thank you for the info. Here in la, we've been given the SWM8 splitter w/o the legacy ports and ota ports for diplexing. I'm looking forward to that particuar switch as we have a wider capablility for expansion. Thanks!!

Satninja,

I think I read about that splitter w/o the legacy/&OTA a year ago; thought it was SWM5a but no matter..will let the forum know how it goes. My main problem was when I fished half my house I was talked into using a diplexer for each room when I could have easily ran two cables & been done with it. Once the BBC became required hardware last year half of my house lost OTA. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country but we get quite a few digital channels (Chicago) that aren't available on the DTV feed. I also think the picture quality is far better using the OTA channels, even compared to MPEG-4.

I have SWM LNB and would love to diplex my ota channels into the same line. Please do post back on your findings.

From what I have read, you can diplex before the splitter so every room can have OTA diplexed back out from the line at the wall jack if wanted or need.

The question I have is, if you don't want OTA in a particular room, must you diplex the OTA back out before connecting the receiver to the wall since the wall jack has a diplexed signal going to it?

Isn't new technology wonderful? If this was simple, everybody would be doing it...

For the most part SWM is very easy. I think that is the main reason DirecTV is moving in that direction. Approved setup is much simplier then pervious installs.

The thing is that diplexing is the tricky part with the new technology. My usderstanding is that DirecTV doesn't support it anyways so what we are doing is actually going above and beyond and having good results.

The question I have is, if you don't want OTA in a particular room, must you diplex the OTA back out before connecting the receiver to the wall since the wall jack has a diplexed signal going to it?
If a receiver doesn't require the OTA, you don't need to diplex it off the sat line. But, as you've read, diplexing with the KaKu sat signals is the problem.

From what I understand, with the LNB version it's up to you whether you want (or need) to Diplex out the OTA signal. For whatever reason DTV doesn't "recommend" adding the diplexed signal, but they turn right around & say it worked in testing. What I want to know is whether it's a special diplexer (SWM-diplexer) or just a frequency issue (40-2150Mhz). The sponsored site here has a link to what they call a SWM diplexer about half way down the page: DirecTV SWM8 - Single Wire Multiswitch - $199 Including Power Inserter - Free Shipping I have 10 regular diplexers but want to make sure I have at least one working model when I attempt the install. At least my work will be done in the attic once I complete the wiring.

Here is a picture of your setup with OTA diplexed:

SWM.jpg

Courtesy of DBStalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)