Universal 5150/10750 scan working great!

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Tried the C/Ku setup using the universal setting of 5150/10750 today with the micro HD and DMX741 LNBF combo since I had to recently switch out the C2 for servicing. I find it works fine, did a scan on G19 97W and it certainly scanned both bands. I did the detailed blind scan and on this satellite to do both bands it took a few seconds more than 12 minutes to complete. Also set to FTA only and TV channel only. In that time frame it found 227 FTA channels. It scans the C-band side first then goes on to the Ku. You can edit the scan frequencies for start and finish, limited to the start on C-band to the end frequency on Ku. This is fine with me, no editing was needed as it came up with 3700 and 12200 as the start and end.

Also did a detail scan on G16 99W, took a bit less time 10m 35 sec due to less active Ku TPs.

I am using a 10' parabolic not specifically tuned for Ku and not tuned that perfectly for C-band right now I didn't use the analyzer to adjust the LNBF position when I recently switched units. Most Ku TPs on 97w are showing 70%-80%Q on the micro. Clear sky.

This way you only need one satellite in the list for each orbital position if you are only using a BUD for C and Ku. I have been using a 90cm motorized dish for most Ku these days except for AMC-1

-C.

I especially like being able to pull up the channel list for a satellite and have both bands in the list. Instead of switching to a different list.

you need to use a 22k switch
0k side for C-Band
22k side for KU band of the lNB
This is good news for two-band ortho users.
Two C-band LNBs to the non-22khz inputs of your multiswitch, and two Ku LNBs to the 22khz inputs.
You'd think somebody planned this! ;)

I do take issue with the word Universal in the topic, though.
But after reading the thread it was clear no Universal LNBs were involved. :)

iPhone 4

Yep the universal LNBFs mess it all up...
Anole for the ortho feed do you use two 14/18V switches for polarity and then a 22KHz switch for C/Ku switching or is there a different method to do this?

Not sure I follow the question.
Around here somewhere we have a definitive thread in what ortho feeds are, and how to handle them.
Pendragon wrote two great threads on modifying multiswitches to properly power 'em.
But getting Universal Ku on an ortho, is a rare problem few have felt with.
I think Pendragon grafted a Ku Invacom to his to meet the challenge.
I fear I might be over thinking your question . :)

iPhone 4

Ok will search for the "Pendragon modified multiswitches" as it sounds more efficient than separate power injectors, H/V switches and 22KHz switches. Just too many switches! :)
I am really only referring to the C/Ku "standard" LNBF combo for this particular thread, but an ortho would interest me as I seem to have a few C-band LNBs hanging around and one Ku LNB somewhere in it's box from when I retired my Corotor II. Lots of $$ and goes against my "keep it simple stupid" frame of mind for my FTA endevours. Then again we must play... after all what's a hobby without trying something different one in a while??

Think this is the thread youare referring too:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=174802

Last edited:
Actually, this is the ortho-intro thread I was thinking about.
It does link to both Pendragon switch-mod threads, and provides basic introduction to ortho feeds.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/258930-Got-a-C-Ku-Orthomode-Now-What?highlight=ortho+feed

In searching, you may find that I've referenced this info multiple times.
Good info is well worth repeating. ;)

Anyway, to return to topic, the microHD is very ortho-friendly.
For those wanting an explanation of ortho feeds, links have been provided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts