Universal cooling fan for receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I need a cooling fan to point at my receivers. Something I can point at the one I am using or set on top of the box. None of my receivers have fans and they all run hot. I want them to last. Has anyone used laptop coolers for them? Mounting a fan inside the box is not practical for me because I use different receivers. Any ideas?

rob

For your consideration, If your computer is close enough ,there is GigaWare p/n 26-1453 8" x 3.5" x 3/4" width with 1 or 2 really small fans that it can be connect it to the USB connector. It can also be connect it directly to your box USB port but I guess it will increase the heat on it. Using an spare USB conn from your computer will not harm it since they do came with ventilation enough.

I've found that using a using a 12V CPU cooling fan that has ball bearing works best for me and they can be powered by a 12v transformer or in the case of some S10 box from the 12v output. The ones that I like the best is the fans that were used on the older Intel Pentium II overdrive chips, I've even installed them to the top of all my APC UPS to reduce heat buildup.

I have a small 12v computer fan that sits next to my 9200 and 8000 that sit on top of each other. It blows on the side of them and they're nice and cool even though they're powered up 24/7. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Thanks Carlos I have USB ports on some of my surge protectors now so I think I will try something like that and plug it into the surge protector. I have a setup that shuts most of my receivers off when I turn off my TV.

Sergei did you mount one of those fans directly to the chip on the board?

Euro I took the fan that was next to useless out of my Not so Coolsat 8000 and am mostly worried about that receiver. I am hoping it will work better if I keep it cool.

Thanks Carlos I have USB ports on some of my surge protectors now so I think I will try something like that and plug it into the surge protector. I have a setup that shuts most of my receivers off when I turn off my TV.

Euro I took the fan that was next to useless out of my Not so Coolsat 8000 and am mostly worried about that receiver. I am hoping it will work better if I keep it cool.
The fan is about 3 inch size, powered by a 12v wall-wart, and both receivers run nice-n-cool with it blowing on the side of them. :)

No, I just mount them to the top of the box which will help cool the entire board by pulling air pass the entire board. It's not really good to blow air across a logic board as it can cause thermal issues with components. Just look at a PC or laptop and how the fan is located and the air flow direction and it's the same principal even for large a mainframe.

I have one of those old cpu fans from an old computer, no usb, its running off a wall-wart I rigged up for it, does a good job. Also have one of those 3" fans like sergei talks about, forget where it came from but its AC-plugs right into the power strip and sounds like a hurricane, but it sure does cool things down. The little one does just fine though, can't stand the noise of that other one, lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.