Universal LNB and a 22mhz switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Quick question:

Friend of mine gave me a FortecStar Universal Single LNBF FSKU-V
Here are the specs:

R.F= 10.7-12.75 Ghz
L.O= 9.75/10.60 GHz
N.F=0.4 dB

I am under the impression that the LNB has a 22mhz switch built in that switches between bands (to provide a wider spectrum than a standard KU LNB) Is that correct?

If so, that would mean that I couldn't use a external 22mhz switch to combine sats back to one (or more) receivers? i.e. have to use a disqec switch

Thinking about using it for Telstar 12 just to mess around while my CM dish is still in the garage. I later plan on using it for a stationary dish at G10R, but since all I have is 22mhz switches, I'd like to avoid mulitple runs to the store :)

Thanks!

correct...if you have a Universal LNB, you CANNOT use a 22k switch in line ....need a diseqc

standard LNB's can use a 22k switch

(Since this thread was already setup for my question, I am using it... )

Is the following possible ?

A Diseqc switch has a Universal LNB in one port, and a 22k switch in the other port. Two Standard LNBs are connected to the two inputs of the 22k switch.

Thus, the Universal is not switched by the 22k switch.

Will that work ?

yes it will work

so hook a Universal to port 1 of Diseqc and the 22K to port 2. Hook the 2 standards to the 22k switch

as long as the 22k and the Universal arent in the same line, you're OK

I finally received the 22k switch and hooked it up... and... the LNBFs not on the 22k switch don't work when the 22k switch is connected to the Diseqc switch. When I disconnect the 22k switch, the other LNBFs on the Diseqc switch work fine.

Setup is:

22k switch - Two Standard Linear LNBFs
Diseqc LNBF 1 - 22k switch
Diseqc LNBF 2 - Universal LNBF
Diseqc LNBF 3 - Blank (terminator)
Diseqc LNBF 4 - Circular LNBF

Perhaps the order of the 22k switch and the Diseqc switch matters ? Although having the 22k switch in between the LNBFs and the Diseqc switch seems to be what is indicated by other threads.

To summarize, if I disconnect the 22k switch (unscrew the cable connecting it to the Diseqc switch), the Diseqc switch will switch the other 2 LNBFs directly connected to it with no problem. If I connect the 22k switch, then it will correctly switch its two LNBFs, but the ones connected to the Diseqc will not work at all. So, either switch correctly functions by itself. Both are DMS brand (which has a good reputation).
The receiver power was always off when making or breaking connections.

Last edited:
Is this possibly a quirk of Fortec receivers ?
A flaw in the new firmware ?
If I have a 22k switch before the Diseqc switch, do I need to use Diseqc 1.1 instead of 1.0 ?

my Fortec is running 4 22k switches. All off the T90 dish

All 4 diseqc ports have a 4x4 multiswitch (just a big 22k switch) attached

so in my setup I have
Diseqc 1 22k off-74W
Diseqc 1 22k on-72
Diseqc 2 22k off-79
Diseqc 2 22k on-85
etc all the way down. Works fine on the Ultra

I think I may not be using "before" and "after" correctly.

I have:

Standard LNBFs -> 22k -> Diseqc -> Receiver

I was referring to that as 22k "before" Diseqc but I can see how someone could think differently, putting their arrows the other way:

Receiver -> Diseqc -> 22k -> Standard LNBFs

As always :), Iceberg is correct, DiSEqC to 22KHz Switch to LNB. I believe the reason is that the 22KHz Switch will not let the DiSEqC commands pass through.

However, and although I haven't tried it, there is a 22KHz Switch that will pass the DiSEqC commands, it is the Ecoda EC-2111. This should allow you to use a 22KHz switch into two DiSEqC Switches connected to 8 LNB.

Here is one site with the switch, scroll to the bottom.
http://www.gofastmotorsports.com/rickssatellite2and4wayDiSEqCswitches.htm

EDIT:
Of course, some receivers have problems using both DiSEqC and 22KHz switches.

Okay, so I had the Diseqc working fine with:

LNB 1 - Standard LNBF
LNB 2 - Universal LNBF
LNB 3 - unused (terminator)
LNB 4 - Circular LNBF (Dish N. Legacy)

I then switched off the receiver, and took the cable to port 1 of the Diseqc switch and attached it to the 22k switch output and attached the existing Standard LNBF and another Standard LNBF to the two inputs of the 22k switch. When I switched on the 22k switch, the two Standard LNBFs connected to the 22k switch and port one of the Diseqc switch worked fine, but the ports 2 and 4 LNBFs (Universal and Circular) stopped working.

I tried disconnecting the cable from the 22k switch to the Diseqc switch, and then ports 2 and 4 worked fine.

This indicates that all the LNBFs and all the switches are working - but not together.

And, I have the setup right, according to the comments above.

When I switched on the 22k switch
Check your setups again; e.i., for all satellite locations that are using DiSEqC Ports 2, 3, and 4, the 22KHz tone is set to off.

I have one receiver that when I change something for one satellite and then I click on another, it will sometimes modify a setting; and then if I don't catch it and save my changes, it will also change something I did not change.

EDIT:
Wait a minute, I don't know if you need to turn it on or off for Port 2. I think it depends on which band you are using, I always check the Iceberg Notes, but it definitely needs to be off for Port 4.

Last edited:
Okay, I played around with it some more:

- Again a reminder, the Diseqc switch worked fine with 3 LNBFs (standard, universal and circular) attached and no other switch.
- When the 22k switch is attached to Diseqc input one, then it turns out that the two LNBFs that are switched by that 22k switch will work on the Mercury II regardless of the Diseqc setting for that satellite location. The other LNBFs attached directly to the Diseqc switch will not work regardless of settings for their satellite locations.

The strong implication is that the Fortec Mercury II will not work with both a 22k switch and a Diseqc switch at the same time.

Unless someone has some other possibility, I'm going to contact Fortec Star about the issue.

I contacted Fortec Star Tech Support by email, and have exchanged some emails with a helpful rep in Toronto.
He asked me to switch Inputs One and Two and report back.
Since that ended up changing the situation, I decided to try various different LNBFs in various different ports, and I found one combination
that allowed all four LNBFs to work:

1 - Circular LNBF (which has no 22k aspect)
2 - Universal LNBF
3 - 22k switch with two Standard LNBFs
4 - Terminator

HOWEVER, the result was that on some channels, it now takes 10-15
seconds for the channel to be tuned (as opposed to less than 1 second
previously). Other channels work normally. On some channels, the
signal quality shows zero, a "No Signal" banner pops up, and THEN one
or two seconds later, the channel is tuned in and the signal quality
shows a more normal reading.

Any thoughts ? (I should hear back from Fortec tomorrow about it, but though someone here might have some insight or experience on this.)

have you tried a new switch? Also I assume you are turning the switch power on the back off when switching stuff around?

have you tried a new switch? Also I assume you are turning the switch power on the back off when switching stuff around?
Yes, I've been careful the turn off the power switch on the back.
The switch is only a few weeks old, and both are DMSI. The diseqc switch is under the house (out of the elements). So if there is a switch problem, then it would be a purely random defective part.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts