Universal or Standard LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
When I setup my motorized 1.2m Geosat pro dish about six months ago, I set it up with a Universal LNB hoping to catch quite some signals below 11700 frequencies. Initially, I was able to grab a few Universal KU signals not worth mentioning east of 63.0°W. Is there hope of Universal frequencies below 11700 becoming abundant over here in not America? I know it is a pain to work on my Dish due to the height of my setup, but I have this urge to change from Universal to Standard KU band LNB. Will I be missing anything come World Cup Soccer time? What do you guys say?

I dont even know if the North American sats can even get the low band. I have a standard LNB on my setup and other than a couple signals on 45 & 53 I'm not missing anything :)

Mods, please delete this post.

Last edited:
I dont even know if the North American sats can even get the low band. I have a standard LNB on my setup and other than a couple signals on 45 & 53 I'm not missing anything :)

I put in the Universal during my setup hoping for future possibility of North American satellites using low band signals, but so far it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. Secondly, those Universal LNBs are not 22KHz friendly. Time to rethink/replace the Universal.....:confused:

The price of a Universal is almost the same with a standard lnb. In fact I use a quad universal (0.2) for $24 with excellent results on a motor from 12.5 to 129W. Currently there is a lot of sats being moved/replaced between 72W and 5W( our NA viewing horizon). Most of them are high powered Ku. Getting a universal gives you more channel option, provided you have access to the sky within that quadrant.
The Central and South American uplinkers are already advertising World Cup coverage. Good example of getting a universal would be for Hispasat 1C/D which would have coverage from Argentina, Spain, Columbia, Portugal.

I should correct the above, Hispasat 1C/D is linear. Depending on your location and spot beam area the will be lots of feeds from Intelsat satellites that use universal. Here is Ft Lauderdale, FL, I get Intelsat 903 (34.5W), Intelsat 14 (45W), Intelsat 707 (53W) requiring Universal lnb. There is also Intelsat 801 (29.5W) & Intelsat 25 (31.5W) that is about to be turned on requiring Universal.
However if you cannot get lower than 72W, it would not make a difference.

nycrich (or are you now FLArich)? ;)

It really depends on line of site as to whether or not you can see the atlantic sats. I might slap a Universal on my setup in place of the DBS LNB (which is offset) just to see what is out there

if it ain't broke:

When I setup my motorized 1.2m Geosat pro dish about six months ago, I set it up with a Universal LNB hoping to catch quite some signals below 11700 frequencies. Initially, I was able to grab a few Universal KU signals not worth mentioning east of 63.0°W. Is there hope of Universal frequencies below 11700 becoming abundant over here in not America? I know it is a pain to work on my Dish due to the height of my setup, but I have this urge to change from Universal to Standard KU band LNB. Will I be missing anything come World Cup Soccer time? What do you guys say?

signature said:
AzBox HD Elite and Coolsat 5000.
DG-380 Motor (37.6°W to 129.0°W), on 1.2M Geosat Pro. DMS BSC322-2 Universal LNBF.
2nd 1.2M Mini BUD Geosat Pro for C-Band.
So, let me get this right...

You have two receivers and two dishes.
And you didn't say anything about adding more of either.
So you're not up the creek like some guys, where replacing a Universal with a Standard, would let you add that one last LNB to the mix...:confused:

Your dish is up 'n tracking ... and working on it is a pain.
I can certainly identify with "having a urge" to do something unnecessary.
But here, I think the path of least resistance is to leave well enough alone.
Unless you can find some outstanding Standard LNBf to install, I think you are done.
Besides, with a 1.2m dish, you're not exactly hurtin' for signal. :)
And, with a view from 37° to 129°, ya never know when Universal might be useful.

I'm on the west coast, so getting much past 60° is a big challenge for me.
Still, I did buy some Universals before I knew any better.
But since I don't have a monster switch matrix, they work fine.

Many commercial receivers (and analog receivers) play better with a standard, and of course there is the 22k switch issue, but if it works... As Anole said, if it ain't broke...

One other option, if the sub-11700 channels aren't TOO far down is to use a receiver that allows tuning below 950 MHz. I didn't realize this until a month or so ago, but the Genpix, unlike all my other receivers, will tune below 950, down at least to 750. This allows it to tune below the 11700 band by that 200 MHz, (ie down to11500 with a 10750 LO lnbf), or below the DBS band down to 12000 with an 11250 LO lnbf (ie useful on 119).
Haven't found any sub 11700 transponders to try this on, but it works well on the Anik F3 transponders in the 12000-12200 range on the circular ports of my QPH-031.

You might not see much below 11.7 Ghz in North America, for those frequencies are assigned to terrestrial use. It took some doing and authority to allow Shaw Direct to use some of those frequencies for their G1 satellite.

Attachments

• ku freqs.jpg
    ku freqs.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 117
Here are Ku freqs for Canada

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/spectallocation-08.pdf/$FILE/spectallocation-08.pdf

Attachments

• Canada ku freqs.jpg
    Canada ku freqs.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 130
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)