Unmounting/ejecting external drive connected to Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

avion

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Chicagoland
Is there a way to properly eject/unmount an external drive connected to the Hopper? It happened to me few times now that when I disconnected the external drive to connect another that the Hopper crashed and rebooted itself. This time after the crash the Joeys can no longer see and connect to the Hopper. I have a replacement Hopper coming but I still want to find out if there is a way to cleanly eject the external drive.

I hope there is a better way to do it since unplugging the Hopper means that anyone using a Joey will be down as well and it will stop any recording. Not good.

I hope there is a better way to do it since unplugging the Hopper means that anyone using a Joey will be down as well and it will stop any recording. Not good.
Turn off your hopper if you got a on and off button or power supply on the EHD turn it off or unplug then unplug your usb cable.....

I've never unplugged the Hopper just to disconnect an EHD.

Sometimes disconnecting an EHD causes a reboot, so I try to avoid disconnecting an EHD when recordings are taking place for that reason. Make sure the EHD is not active when you disconnect it. My EHD's have an LED indicating if they are active or in sleep mode.

I also make sure that the EHD is not being written to when I disconnect it but it is a terrible user experience when the Hopper crashes/reboots and it may corrupt the EHD. I'd like to see Dish fixing this issue and for a peace of mind add an explicit unmount/eject option.

I've never had any reboot problems when disconnecting a drive. I do power them down beforehand.

Some are overthinking this. I have several external drives attached to my HWS via a USB hub. The drives usually remain off and I turn one on whenever I want to access the drive. This is the same setup on my 622 and the only difference with the HWS is that I can turn on 2 external drives at the same time.
I've had this setup for years with no problems.

Reactions: oljim
Same here, never been a problem to disconnect anytime as long as it is not transferring recordings to or fro. However, I do one thing just to play it a bit safe: The drive I use (the WD's) will spin down after several minutes. Once I have finished using the HDD, I'll wait about 10 minutes, (which I've noticed is usually the time by which the HDD needs to "wake up" or spin up to start responding to commands), and by then the HDD has spun down, and then I disconnect at that time or beyond, while it's "sleeping" or a nappin.

I've disconnected HDD's even before spin down and still no problems. I think the OP does have a problem with the Hopper itself. However, I would recommend to anyone to wait long enough for spin down for the HDD and then disconnect. Disconnecting the DVR is just plain crazy and has a chance of breaking the DVR if it is writing, and we never really know when the DVR is writing data, so it's a crap shoot. The DVR's reboot every night as it is; excessive rebooting just brings the device closer to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts