Unrecognized external hard drive!

I think you are mixing up Margo with Woody, Woody is the OP for this thread. Margo came in a little later with similar issues. Margo has a 722, as she just told us, and Woody has a Hopper.

That’s correct, mine is a Hopper.

Of course you are performing an Unmount before you pull the USB. Or at least shutting the receiver off before.
Right?
Pulling a USB drive of any kind before and unmount or in Windows, Safely Remove Hardware, is the death of them.
I would run my favorite Linux bootable image or run it in a virtual machine environment and run a fsck and see what happens.

As long as a transfer is not in progress, I have never had a problem just pulling the USB from the H3 on my EHDs. The receiver recognizes the EHD is no longer there and acknowledges that fact.

Reactions: olds403
Hello, I am having a similar problem. One of the external hard drives for my Dish 722 dvr won't let me access the data that is on it. It is giving me a message that it needs to be reformatted, thereby losing all the data, in order to use it. It was formatted and working fine before I transferred a lot of shows onto it. Now I'm in a Catch 22 situation, in order to view the data I have to reformat, which will erase all my data.... Any ideas on how to resolve this and access the data safely?

Unplug the EHD from the 722. Now, after doing that do unplug from power reboot the 722. After it boots up plug the EHD back in. If that doesn't fix it unplug that EHD again and give it a few days and then try replugging it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Unplug the EHD from the 722. Now, after doing that do unplug from power reboot the 722. After it boots up plug the EHD back in. If that doesn't fix it unplug that EHD again and give it a few days and then try replugging it.
And if that doesn't work, give it a "hit" from MyDish. That worked for me on a disk I hadn't used in years (while others worked fine).

I unplugged the dvr, waited then plugged it back in and rebooted. Now it went from "must be reformated" to "unsupported device" to "must be reformated" and back to "unsupported device", which is where it's at now.
Also, when you say give it a "hit" from MyDish what does that mean? Do you mean contact Dish online?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts