Unsteady DVB-S2 Signals on Old C-Band Lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TvMind

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Montreal
Thought I 'd start a new thread here and not bury this in the uHD post.

Prob: "Bouncing", unsteady, or otherwise intermittent reception on HD content (most, not all) on Geosat uHD.
Using: Old C-band LNB (Norsat?), "noisy', TI (never had prob before), system peaked.

Options: Newer DRO or PLL (??) from
Norsat etc ??

No solution: Live with it. Or nature of the beast (higher SR's and all that jazz so not even newer lnb will help)

Much obliged.

Thought I 'd start a new thread here and not bury this in the uHD post.

Prob: "Bouncing", unsteady, or otherwise intermittent reception on HD content (most, not all) on Geosat uHD.
Using: Old C-band LNB (Norsat?), "noisy', TI (never had prob before), system peaked.

Options: Newer DRO or PLL (??) from
Norsat etc ??

No solution: Live with it. Or nature of the beast (higher SR's and all that jazz so not even newer lnb will help)

Much obliged.

I have a certain amount of it on a lot of channels. Various reasons. Atmospheric conditions, interference from land based communications, and power fluctuations at the uplink or satellite transponder downlink and a host of other things. Most of the time it's only a few points on the meter, and sometimes it will take a channel out. I've seen days when some channels will have a 90/76 signal level and still break up or go out. Some of it depends on the power generated at the uplink facility. A shame all of them aren't required to power up in order to keep signals uniform.

When I first started I tried to start on the cheap side so I just used what I found. Well I also found that the lnb's I was using were shot. Some of them did as you describe and wouldnt lock and quality would bounce. Some of them would lock and then over a period of 5 to 15 minutes the quality would fade. I know I have one echostar lnb thats over 30 years old that was the one that would hold signal the longest. I then tried to use the various lnbf's available with limited success and finally bit the bullet and bought a good new norsat PLL lnb for my corotor 2. Then I had to save and but an asc-1 but man it was worth it, Wish I would have been able to buy one up front after getting it. What I figured out in this hobby is if you try to skimp (try to be cheap) be ready for disappointment.

Thanks for chiming in and validating my suspicions. My system IS peaked, and this problem only shows up on certain DVB-S2 signals.
My C-lnb is older than the hills, "noisy", but it has served me well and never felt the need to 'upgrade'. I think I will treat myself to a low drift Norsat next Spring and hope that improves matters. Varying power argument is fascinating - would explain a lot.

Next project: Dismantle Von Weise and clean and lube. In our severe winters jack freezes up so lose flexibility of accessing entire arc. Any tips to insulate ? (no accordion on mine , also no moisture build-up..but think it's time to insulate this bugger.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts