Unused BUD Dish? Any value?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pomernman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I noticed this BUD in a vacant/for sale lot and I'm considering calling the phone number to inquire about the dish. To me it looks pretty good but I would like a more knowledgeable opinion.

How does it look to you? Is it even worth trying to get? The name on it is Winegard.

Thanks for all the help!

(Just looking at it more closely there are a few rusted bolts which means "knuckle busters". But I think to remove dish from support then support from pole hopefully shouldn't be to bad? Then the others can be replaced once down.)

Satellite Dish 008.JPG

Satellite Dish 007.JPG

Satellite Dish 005.JPG

Last edited:
I've never had a Winegard dish, they are supposed to be good ones, and they sure do look good. Yours looks to be in terrific shape to me, but it sure is high on that pole, which will make it more difficult to get down (maybe)? If you think you can handle the height, then by all means go for it. But get some help, don't try to do it by yourself.
Good Luck!

Looks like a Winegard 7.5' Quadstar. I have one, but I haven't had time to put it up. I am very fond of my Winegard 10'. The Quadstar has a more 'normal' f/D than the bigger Winegards, which makes it easier to match feeds.

too high for me:

The dish looks in very good shape.
The rusty hardware can probably be handled by PBblaster.

The height is both good and bad.
The good news is, you cut the pole off at the ground, and still take home plenty to bury! - :)
The bad news is, it is too high for me to consider. - :(

More adventurous members have tackled high dishes.
If you are up to it, fine.
It'd have to be a lot more desirable dish for me to even contemplate such a height.
I found a Paraclipse 12' dish above the eaves last year. No way.

Get that dish!

That's the exact 7.5 Winegard I have Just gray instead of black like mine. Great dish...performs like a 10ft!

Attachments

• cbands 0032.JPG
    cbands 0032.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 254
Looks like a nice one. Great shape. Maybe you could cut one side of the pole and push it over to an angle to get it off there. Good luck!

sounds risky:

I hesitated to make such a suggestion...
... but I did cut down a 9' pole (3½ OD) with a 63 lb H-H motor still on top of it.
(we had the dish off the motor by then)
Had four folks, but two would probably have been fine.

edit:
The trick was to leave a tab still attached at the bottom of the pipe.
The cut went most of the way through the back side of the pipe, and then we -bent- it over.
That way, the heavy top didn't fall down, and the loose end didn't fly up in the air! - :eek:

That was about 67 lbs worth of pipe, from this pipe chart.
So, about 130 lbs total weight.
Easy for two to carry, once down.

Last edited:
Maybe you could cut one side of the pole and push it over to an angle to get it off there. Good luck!
Yes, with a pole that tall, it sure wouldn't hurt to lose a bit of it by cutting it off. Shouldn't be too hard for 2 people to ease it down that way.:)

whats the average value of a used wineguard 7.5' and a 10'?

Whatever someone will pay you to remove them from their property. And not a cent more. Or less. :D

I wouldn't personally pay more than scrap value for ANY dish. But I am a cheapskate. There's too many fish in the sea to pay for a dish.

Nice dish. You could probably salvage the motor as well.

Too high for a one or two man dis-mounting. Be careful and consider your safety if you are going to to use a ladder. You could use the post to lean a ladder on, dismount the dish and slowly lower it down. Then cut the post if you want to take it as well.

Anyway, safety 1st. It is not worth it if you fell down and injure yourself.

Whatever someone will pay you to remove them from their property. And not a cent more. Or less. :D
I wouldn't personally pay more than scrap value for ANY dish. But I am a cheapskate. There's too many fish in the sea to pay for a dish.
Well, Stogie, I'm a cheapskate too 'cause there's 4 Primestars, and 2 BUDs in my yard, and none of 'em cost me a dime! :D:up

Safer solution

I know Anole, does sound risky. Here's a safer method. Run a block over to that tree and then one end on the pole and one on your vehicle. Put a little strain on the line then put a face cut in the pole. Drive forward and timber...gently let it down. Sounds easy on paper.:)

Looks like a nice one. Great shape. Maybe you could cut one side of the pole and push it over to an angle to get it off there. Good luck!

Thats how I took down a 12' unimesh on a 20' pole. We cut mostly threw with a sawsall (pole was not filled with cement) and left enough to hing in the direction we wanted it to go. Just be sure to throw a few ropes around the polar mount and have 3 or 4 guys lower the whole thing as another guy pushes on the pole. Be careful and think safety.

is it worth it?

Well, the -proper- way to take one of these high-boys down is with a jin-pole.
It's been discussed on the forum before, so do a search for more info.
Thomas even built his own fancy version.

(or a cherry-picker is good... - :D - )

What you do is remove the motor, then lash the jin pole to the top of your satellite pole, and attach it to the dish.
Then, you loosen the mount at the top of the pole.
Pull the dish & mount up a foot, then slowly lower it down.
Of course, you have to have a place to work to accomplish all this.
That means at least one (or maybe two) long ladders (or a roof in the case of some dishes).

On the plus side, after zooming in:
- the mount actually looks to be in very good condition
- The dish looks to be in great shape.

On the minus side:
- this is a modest sized, average dish
- getting it down is a major pain

So, since the task of hauling this one home is such a big job, is it a big prize?
I submit the answer is: NO.
Honestly, I'd recommend you keep an eye open for other dishes.

That's a subjective call, and just one opinion. - :cool:

Another observation... This Winegard looks nearly identical to my 7.5' Perfect 10. The Perfect 10 comes apart in four "slices". If you can remove each "slice" or "petal" separately, these are not heavy at all. The entire disassembled dish fit nicely into the back of my compact station wagon (just ask Stogie :) )... Of course, the trouble is in finding a way to work that high...

Winegard made some good dishes back in the day. I was thinking about one before I got my Unimesh 12 footer. If Winegard made a 12" I probably would have gone with them.

Tron is always afraid of heights lol.. Dig daddy - tell them about the big fiberglass dish lol.

It took 4 guys to lift my dish up to a 12 foot pole thats 4 foot in the ground, wet ground down here. I call the whole "take down" thing cracking it down. If you begin by pulling with a LONG rope adding pressure as its being cut opposite, it will slowly crack down. Depending on the cutter tool, take it easy, it will tear and crack.

I want another dish but I cant imagine what my neighbors are going to say or even think, my house is at the end of a dead end street and right in the center so its visible all the way down 45th lol. Hey you might see the farm in google earth? I seriously say that because I am serious about being the strange guy with dishes and antennas all over his house. Remember that when you are cracking it down haha!

They do watch too... NAVSPASUR: They're Watching!

Another hobby of mine...

The fiberglass dish... :( We gave up on removing a 12' fiberglass dish that was mounted about 10' off the ground last year. It probably weighed 200-300 pounds... A couple of days ago, I drove by that house, and it was out for the trash... It was sawed up in pieces. They even broke the actuator :(...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)