Update: Sony to give PlayStation3 firmware upgrade for 3D Blu-ray support in October

I just got the adapter for my 3-D ready Mitsubishi tv today. Can't wait for 3-D blu-rays. The tv looks so great in 3-D !!

This is really great news! I was told that a firmware upgrade was not possible for the PS3 by a PS3 engineer at CES last year. Guess they figured out how to do it. He said the upgrade they planed would only support PS3 games, not all Blu-Ray 3D movies.

The upgrade basically makes every PlayStation 3 HDMI 1.4 compatible - that's the standard that governs 3D displays.

What this means is that there is no setup at all required. If you have a PlayStation 3 and you buy a 3DTV, you simply connect via your HDMI cable and your PlayStation 3 will automatically recognise that you've got a 3D display attached.

It knows the size of the screen as well, which is very important for actually rendering 3D correctly and giving you the right sense of depth.

In September this year, we're launching another Firmware upgrade - and this one is going to upgrade the PS3 to support Blu-ray movies in 3D. Again, you won't have to do anything - just connect your PS3. For the film market that's a very significant event.

Glad that Sony continues to improve the PS3. Truely an amazing device. I could not care less about 3D and do not plan to at a 3D display until they make it possible without wearing glasses (if ever).

I already wear glasses. A pair of shutter glasses over the top of my existing glasses makes no difference. I have never noticed they were there after putting them on.

Yeah I can see Americans running out to buy 3D glasses for all of their suberbowl guests. "oh yeah, come on over for the game pops,,, just remember to drop 200 bucks for you and grandma at walmart for the 3d glasses before you get here". Its laughable.

I already wear glasses. A pair of shutter glasses over the top of my existing glasses makes no difference. I have never noticed they were there after putting them on.
I've tried 3-d glasses over & under my glasses, but they never seem to work right. They do with contacts, but not glasses. So I tend to avoid 3-d, as the nuisance doesn't seem worth it.

The few 3-d DVD's we have, we tend to watch in 2-d, as the kids don't care for wearing the glasses either.

Yeah I can see Americans running out to buy 3D glasses for all of their suberbowl guests. "oh yeah, come on over for the game pops,,, just remember to drop 200 bucks for you and grandma at walmart for the 3d glasses before you get here". Its laughable.

Vurbano- 3D is not for you because you don't even see in wide screen. You suffer from tunnel vision when looking at any new technology.

I'm not sold on 3D, but I'm glad to have the option. Now if Sammy would come out with a 3D adapter for my 52" LCD of theirs, I might buy it and try a movie at home, with borrowed glasses.

Even though I seriously doubt this technology will be here for the long run or the masses (until it works well without glasses), I was really disappointed to learn my high dollar OPPO will never support 3D.

Of course, my wife insisting we go see Revenge of Kitty Galore in 3D has given me pause that despite her protestations to the contrary, she might be slipping and about to change her mind on home 3D!

Vurbano- 3D is not for you because you don't even see in wide screen. You suffer from tunnel vision when looking at any new technology.

Vurbano and I seldom agree but I think he is right on this one. The glasses are expensive and they don't even work across different bra3D technology of today is not likely to gain mass acceptance. I know that Sony and Toshiba have both promised sets that don't require glasses but according to many that technology too has limitations.

Maybe someday but not just yet.

Note that universal 3d glasses should be here soon. Xpand previously announced the x103 and x104 but have delayed at least the x103's.

I meant the glasses but I believe that both have been delayed twice.

The alleged reason for different glasses was that each manufacturer implemented 3D a bit differently. Even the glass in the set is somewhat different. I suspect that they are having difficulty producing a universal pair of glasses.

Of course maybe we will find out that it works even better and even allows you to see into the future or functions like those X ray glasses I wanted to buy as a kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)