Update: Sony to give PlayStation3 firmware upgrade for 3D Blu-ray support in October

I meant the glasses but I believe that both have been delayed twice.

The alleged reason for different glasses was that each manufacturer implemented 3D a bit differently. Even the glass in the set is somewhat different. I suspect that they are having difficulty producing a universal pair of glasses.

Of course maybe we will find out that it works even better and even allows you to see into the future or functions like those X ray glasses I wanted to buy as a kid.

Apparently really coming see
HDTV Magazine - HDTV Almanac - Universal 3D Glasses Are Here

My question is a simple one. If the PS3, even older models, only needs a firmware upgrade, why must the Sony BD player I just bought new last year be replaced with a new "3d capable" one?

My question is a simple one. If the PS3, even older models, only needs a firmware upgrade, why must the Sony BD player I just bought new last year be replaced with a new "3d capable" one?

The BD player in a PS3 is software based. It is like a PC with just a BD ROM Drive and all they have to do to add new features is write more software. The dedicated players have decode chips as hardware, they are limited in what they can be made to do outside of what they were manufactured to do.

The PS3 used to not be able to decode DTS HD Master audio tracks, and used to not be able to display 3D gaming. It can do both now simply from firmware upgrades. And that is also how it will be able to display 3D blu-ray movies. When the firmware update releases, that is.

I daresay the PS3 has a lot more CPU power and memory than most if not all dedicated BD players.