UPDATED - Dish drops WWE PPV changes mind Will Show Wrestlemania

Roku would get it streamed to their tv's. Taking WWE off satellite would force more people to WWE Network. It might actually help them out instead of hurt them.

WWE programs should still be available on Sky Sports, which is where some people get their downloads from.

WWE currently gets $140 million a year in broadcast rights fees from NBCU for Raw and Smackdown. The exclusive negotiation window on the existing contract has ended. In this latest round of negotiations, Vince and company want at least double to rights fees since WWE wants to be presented now as a Sporting Event versus scripted, episodic television. By asking for this increase in broadcast rights, WWE plans to make up for the lack of traditional platform PPV buys and money it would be loosing to the WWE Network subscriptions and the loss of the traditional PPV platform. By offering all 12 of the LIVE PPV's on the WWE Network, Vince and company decided already that the bottom of the traditional PPV platform has been burned out. Often the off brand PPV's draw around 70k to 90k North American PPV buys while the 'BIG 4' end up around 2 to 2.5 times those other PPV's.

The concept of the network was presented to broadcasters as an A-la-Carte programming service over a year ago. The broadcasters balked at the idea of picking up a premium service with an digital application attached to it much like the HBO-GO on-demand service. WWE then decided to create their own service like NetFlix and market the service themselves. It's the providers fault. They had a chance to help WWE get in on the ground floor of something unique with a passionate audience base yet didn't want to offer up the outlet to provide a traditional platform to distribute the WWE Network.

The WWE Network launches
only in North America on 2/24. International fans will still have to wait until 2015 and use traditional services to watch WWE Programming. Personally, I see the BIG 4 shows still viable on the traditional PPV platform at a reduced price in the future but the die hard fans will still want the WWE Network service for all of the potential footage that WWE owns in-house.

I didn't hear anything back from the DISH PR team yesterday so I sent another request over today.

When I hear back from them I will post it.

Is Wrestling like WWE popular in Mexico, or any other country for that matter?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is Wrestling like WWE popular in Mexico, or any other country for that matter? Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I believe so, they do shows in the the UK, India and Mexico to name a few

Is Wrestling like WWE popular in Mexico, or any other country for that matter?

Mexico seems to have their own brand. I've watched it a couple times and can't figure out what in the heck is happening. I don't recall if I've ever seen a pin in Lucha Libre or whatever it is called.

Mexico and Japan are hotbeds for pro wrestling.Back in the day there were a lot of US wrestlers that moved to Japan,they could make better money.UK also has a steady fan base,and don't forget Australia.

I would say they have a pretty huge international following. WWE programming is available in over 150 countries and translated in over 30 languages. Every year wrestlemania atrracts people from all 50 states, all canadian providences, and around 40 other countries. Its not as fun to watch as it was during the attitude era thats for sure. Thats what dvrs are for. Watch 3 hours of raw in about 1.5 hours

Still no reply from the press@dish.com box.

This is VERY unusual for them, normally I have a reply back in minutes. I know WWE was in Denver last night, perhaps they had some meetings? An answer would be nice though.

Well finally just got a reply...

Although not much said just said "Yep. Will get back to you, Scott. Thanks for you patience."

So they are working on something. I also notice that none of their Facebook / Twitter questions about the WWE have been answered as well.

Let's hope the two sides are talking!

As much as I dislike Vince McMahon,if I were him I would tell Charlie,if you ain't down with that,I got two words for ya!:D

Now I remember- Mexico is big on face masks and heavy theatrics, aren't they?

Well, ours is pretty heavy, too, I guess.

After all, you would think that WWE would want to spread the word to Dish Network subscribers about other options such as the WWE online version of the pay-per-view or additional platforms such as Playstation and Xbox consoles. For that matter, one would also think that Dish Network would like to get their side of the story out there............Dish Activations Hi:
I did some research and it looks like WWE has created a new network called WWE Network which has not launched yet, but will in a week. WWE Network is where Elimination Chamber will be showing. WWE Network has made some pretty extreme moves and is trying to drastically alter the way pay-per-view works. The only official word I am able to get from DISH corporate is that Dish is telling customers that negotiations are ongoing. WWE Network is refusing to respond to any news outlets.

Last edited:
Now I remember- Mexico is big on face masks and heavy theatrics, aren't they?

Well, ours is pretty heavy, too, I guess.

In Mexico,it's all about the mask.Losing your mask is worse than losing championship gold.

well, it's official now, Dish has already confirmed to those who asked on their facebook page.

here's quotes from Dish that answered comments by angry WWE fans on facebook:
I'd be happy to help you with that as I know it's frustrating! WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future. -Mike L.

DISH will not offer the WWE Elimination Chamber PPV on 2/23. WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future. -Zach S

so it looks like Dish customers may have to get used to watching PPVs online on WWE Network (and WWE.com for just this event only) or illegal webstreams to watch live or wait it out and read the results online and watch online on illegal sites and or wait until it's on DVD and WWE Network if they chose to buy it.

for those in areas with poor internet services or have their internet throttled due to hitting the bandwidth cap, we are SOL.

so we can pretty much guess Dish is in the wrong again and blame Cheapo Charlie Ergen (for doing typical Dish dispute behavior) and Cranky Vince McMahon (for waiting to cut out the middle man and screwing the cable industry over for launching an IPTV Network with iPPV) for this. and Dish may be the first to stand up against WWE for launching the Network. if other providers do the same, then WWE's gonna have no choice but to negotate to put WWE Network on Dish, DirecTV and the other providers to make them happy. WWE don't care for us fans in rural area with little or no choice in internet and with lousy internet services.

WWE, Dish Network on Course for a Smackdown
By Daniel Kline | More Articles

When World Wrestling Entertainment (NYSE: WWE ) announced it would make all of its pay-per-view specials available to subscribers to its new network, the company was essentially throwing its cable TV partners out of the ring.The network, which is available online and on platforms including Sony's Playstation, Microsoft's Xbox, Google's Chromecast, and Roku players, costs $9.99 a month. For that $9.99, subscribers not only get the monthly PPVs -- which cost between $55 and $70 each -- but original shows and a huge archive of older programs.This move makes it so that anyone who buys two WWE PPVs a year would be better off subscribing to the network, essentially cutting WWE's cable partners out of the deal. PPV revenue is split 50/50 between WWE and the cable companies, but cable and satellite won't get a cut of network sales. So far, the major cable players have been quiet about this punch to the gut, but satellite companies Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH ) and DirecTV (NASDAQ: DTV ) are not.
Is WWE a bad partner?
Even after the network launches, WWE still plans to offer its PPVs through cable and satellite companies. Of course, while there might still be some viewers who buy them, the number is likely to plunge dramatically. For Dish and DirecTV, which made good money doing very little selling WWE PPVs, the WWE network takes cash out of their pockets.To protest, both Dish and DirecTV are threatening to not carry Sunday's Elimination Chamber PPV, the last one before the network launches."Clearly we need to quickly reevaluate the economics and viability of their business with us, as it now appears the WWE feels they do not need their PPV distributors," DirecTV said in a statement, reported by the Los Angeles Times, adding that the audience for its events "has been steadily declining, and this new low-cost competitive offering will only accelerate this trend."
Will this be a trend?
Benjamin Miller, a writer for WrestlingObserver.com, the top newsletter for the pro wrestling industry, told the Fool that he expects the dispute will ultimately work out with concessions made by WWE."I believe that DirecTV will continue to air WWE PPVs. My reasoning is that they target sports fans. I expect the PPV price to drop at some point, however."As for Dish, he wrote on the Wrestling Observer site, "WWE ain't gettin' on Dish unless the pay-per-view price drops to $9.99."Miller also told the Fool that Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSK ) , which currently holds right to WWE's flagship TV programs, "may drop WWE PPVs or demand a price decrease if WWE TV programming leaves NBC/Universal networks. I expect smaller cable networks to continue to offer PPVs."
Dish, DirecTV not the risk for WWE
In announcing and launching the network, the WWE essentially told its fans that it was giving up on the traditional pay-per-view model. That move is risky since PPV revenues, according to the WWE's 2012 annual report, "were $83.6 million, $78.3 million, and $70.2 million, representing 17%, 16%, and 15% of total net revenues in 2012, 2011, and 2010.Playing chicken with Elimination Chamber with Dish and DirecTV will cost WWE some money if the two satellite companies end up not airing the show and some if they drop future shows. But with its network, the clear goal of WWE is getting its fans to subscribe and watch the PPVs there. The risk of losing revenue for one PPV on two providers pales in comparison to the risk WWE is taking by spiking a key part of its revenue stream on the assumption it will do better using a new model.
A bad precedent for satellite
The real risk for Dish and DirecTV comes if other premium content providers decide to follow the WWE model. What would happen if a premium service like HBO decided to no longer require a cable/satellite subscription for people to access its HBOGo mobile service? Worse yet for satellite and cable, what if Time Warner's (NYSE: TWX ) HBO decided to charge less for that service than cable/satellite companies do?Dish, DirecTV, and the cable world should be concerned by the WWE network. If it works, then any premium TV content with a devoted fanbase might be more valuable sold a la carte rather than through a third party. With Netflix already helping millennials justify cutting the cord, the last thing cable and satellite companies need is HBO, ESPN, or the Disney Channel doing the same.
A Wrestlemania moment
Ultimately, if Dish, DirecTV, and the cable companies drop WWE's, that will only matter if the company fails to get fans to buy its network. The WWE network essentially launches with Wrestlemania -- the company's biggest PPV, which on its own costs around $70.Last Wrestlemania had, according to the WWE, over 1 million PPV buys. And while not all of those are domestic, $216 million of the company's $276 million in revenue during the second quarter in 2013 (which contained Wrestlemania) came from North America, so let's assume around 75% of them were.If there is the same interest in the U.S. for this year's Wrestlemania, it makes no sense for any of those buyers to purchase the show through a cable company. If they purchase the network ($9.99 a month with a six-month minimum) they spend less and get five other PPVs plus the rest of the network programming.
1,2,3 pinfall for WWE
The match is already over for DirecTV, Dish, and the cable companies. If the network fails, WWE has likely devalued its PPV product to the point that it won't be able to bring it back to cable at the old prices. If the network succeeds, then the audience for buying PPVs the traditional way will be small enough that it likely won't be worth carrying them.
Why aren't you showing the WWE PPV Elimination Chamber? This is wrong to fans and your subscribers?..........................Dish answer from their fb page DISH I'd be happy to help you with that as I know it's frustrating! WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future. -Mike L.

Will Henderson they are protesting WWE Network. it launches next Monday and Dish is being Dish, not the first time they screwed customers to stick it to a content provider.

WWE, Dish Network on Course for a Smackdown
By Daniel Kline | More Articles

When World Wrestling Entertainment (NYSE: WWE ) announced it would make all of its pay-per-view specials available to subscribers to its new network, the company was essentially throwing its cable TV partners out of the ring.The network, which is available online and on platforms including Sony's Playstation, Microsoft's Xbox, Google's Chromecast, and Roku players, costs $9.99 a month. For that $9.99, subscribers not only get the monthly PPVs -- which cost between $55 and $70 each -- but original shows and a huge archive of older programs.This move makes it so that anyone who buys two WWE PPVs a year would be better off subscribing to the network, essentially cutting WWE's cable partners out of the deal. PPV revenue is split 50/50 between WWE and the cable companies, but cable and satellite won't get a cut of network sales. So far, the major cable players have been quiet about this punch to the gut, but satellite companies Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH ) and DirecTV (NASDAQ: DTV ) are not.
Is WWE a bad partner?
Even after the network launches, WWE still plans to offer its PPVs through cable and satellite companies. Of course, while there might still be some viewers who buy them, the number is likely to plunge dramatically. For Dish and DirecTV, which made good money doing very little selling WWE PPVs, the WWE network takes cash out of their pockets.To protest, both Dish and DirecTV are threatening to not carry Sunday's Elimination Chamber PPV, the last one before the network launches."Clearly we need to quickly reevaluate the economics and viability of their business with us, as it now appears the WWE feels they do not need their PPV distributors," DirecTV said in a statement, reported by the Los Angeles Times, adding that the audience for its events "has been steadily declining, and this new low-cost competitive offering will only accelerate this trend."
Will this be a trend?
Benjamin Miller, a writer for WrestlingObserver.com, the top newsletter for the pro wrestling industry, told the Fool that he expects the dispute will ultimately work out with concessions made by WWE."I believe that DirecTV will continue to air WWE PPVs. My reasoning is that they target sports fans. I expect the PPV price to drop at some point, however."As for Dish, he wrote on the Wrestling Observer site, "WWE ain't gettin' on Dish unless the pay-per-view price drops to $9.99."Miller also told the Fool that Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSK ) , which currently holds right to WWE's flagship TV programs, "may drop WWE PPVs or demand a price decrease if WWE TV programming leaves NBC/Universal networks. I expect smaller cable networks to continue to offer PPVs."
Dish, DirecTV not the risk for WWE
In announcing and launching the network, the WWE essentially told its fans that it was giving up on the traditional pay-per-view model. That move is risky since PPV revenues, according to the WWE's 2012 annual report, "were $83.6 million, $78.3 million, and $70.2 million, representing 17%, 16%, and 15% of total net revenues in 2012, 2011, and 2010.Playing chicken with Elimination Chamber with Dish and DirecTV will cost WWE some money if the two satellite companies end up not airing the show and some if they drop future shows. But with its network, the clear goal of WWE is getting its fans to subscribe and watch the PPVs there. The risk of losing revenue for one PPV on two providers pales in comparison to the risk WWE is taking by spiking a key part of its revenue stream on the assumption it will do better using a new model.
A bad precedent for satellite
The real risk for Dish and DirecTV comes if other premium content providers decide to follow the WWE model. What would happen if a premium service like HBO decided to no longer require a cable/satellite subscription for people to access its HBOGo mobile service? Worse yet for satellite and cable, what if Time Warner's (NYSE: TWX ) HBO decided to charge less for that service than cable/satellite companies do?Dish, DirecTV, and the cable world should be concerned by the WWE network. If it works, then any premium TV content with a devoted fanbase might be more valuable sold a la carte rather than through a third party. With Netflix already helping millennials justify cutting the cord, the last thing cable and satellite companies need is HBO, ESPN, or the Disney Channel doing the same.
A Wrestlemania moment
Ultimately, if Dish, DirecTV, and the cable companies drop WWE's, that will only matter if the company fails to get fans to buy its network. The WWE network essentially launches with Wrestlemania -- the company's biggest PPV, which on its own costs around $70.Last Wrestlemania had, according to the WWE, over 1 million PPV buys. And while not all of those are domestic, $216 million of the company's $276 million in revenue during the second quarter in 2013 (which contained Wrestlemania) came from North America, so let's assume around 75% of them were.If there is the same interest in the U.S. for this year's Wrestlemania, it makes no sense for any of those buyers to purchase the show through a cable company. If they purchase the network ($9.99 a month with a six-month minimum) they spend less and get five other PPVs plus the rest of the network programming.
1,2,3 pinfall for WWE
The match is already over for DirecTV, Dish, and the cable companies. If the network fails, WWE has likely devalued its PPV product to the point that it won't be able to bring it back to cable at the old prices. If the network succeeds, then the audience for buying PPVs the traditional way will be small enough that it likely won't be worth carrying them.
Why aren't you showing the WWE PPV Elimination Chamber? This is wrong to fans and your subscribers?..........................Dish answer from their fb page DISH I'd be happy to help you with that as I know it's frustrating! WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future. -Mike L.

Will Henderson they are protesting WWE Network. it launches next Monday and Dish is being Dish, not the first time they screwed customers to stick it to a content provider.

agree, especially after the whole 2012 AMC Debacle aka the extended fallout over the death of Voom, the long ongoing Disney dispute (which may end soon depending on if Dish and Disney make a deal) over carrying HD channels when Dish thought they could carry the HD feeds without paying the extra money Disney wanted for said HD channels which cause Disney to pull them and then sued Dish, and not to mention the October 2010 standoff with Fox, and the whole Viacom dispute that happened 10 years ago.

we the customers are really getting robbed by Dish's greed. and we can't sue them due the the whole "program may subject to change" loophole they have in the contract.

SatelliteGuys has just received this OFFICIAL statement from World Wrestling Entertainment.

DISH Statement 2/19/14

WWE is pleased that the majority of our cable and satellite Pay-Per-View distributors are giving our fans an option to purchase traditional Pay-Per-Views as we prepare to launch WWE Network on Monday, February 24. Unfortunately, DISH will not be doing so. We hope DISH will reconsider for this Sunday’s Elimination Chamber Pay-Per-View event and especially for WrestleMania 30.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

And now we have received an official statement from DISH.

“WWE has chosen to launch a 24/7 online network, without its TV partners, that includes all of its pay-per-view events. As WWE enters the increasingly fragmented media world by themselves, DISH will continue to consider the value of WWE pay-per-view on an event by event basis.

“DISH continues to provide a variety of WWE programming, including WWE Raw on USA, WWE Smackdown on Syfy, WWE Main Event on Ion and WWE Total Divas on E!. At this time, WWE pay-per-view events are not available on DISH.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts