UPDATED - Dish drops WWE PPV changes mind Will Show Wrestlemania

"Notwithstanding this progress, the Report finds that approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service. In tribal areas, nearly one-third of the population lacks access. Even in areas where broadband is available, approximately 100 million Americans still do not subscribe."

http://www.fcc.gov/reports/eighth-broadband-progress-report

"Notwithstanding this progress, the Report finds that approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service. In tribal areas, nearly one-third of the population lacks access. Even in areas where broadband is available, approximately 100 million Americans still do not subscribe."

I think key words here are "fixed" and "threshold speeds"

Many articles and reports - I find this one most accurate.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/30-percent-of-americans-no-broadband/

For purposes of streaming programming (As this thread is about) your link is probably more accurate.

I think that this is the start of things to come. I mean, it's obvious that WWE is trying to bypass cable completely by offering the WWE network. I don't have cable anymore, but even if I did, why the hell would I pay $50+ for a PPV when I can get it for $9.99 through the network?

I bet by 2016 WWE is going to be a nearly internet exclusive entity, and I welcome that day. I suppose they'll still have shows like Raw/Smackdown on regular TV, but I bet many other providers will ditch their PPVs, and I don't think the audience would complain much. The WWE audience is the prime "tech" audience, with WWE shows constantly topping social media whenever it is on. Getting the WWE app(s) to work won't be hard for the majority of the audience, as nearly everyone has a Roku, Xbox, PS3, Smart TV, etc nowadays. And I know that with the $9.99/month/PPV price that I'll finally be watching every monthly PPV, as opposed to just holding out for the "Original 4" (Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series.) Oh, and that MASSIVE back catalog of WWE/WCW/ECW PPVs is pretty sweet too, although I wouldn't be too shocked if the infamous "Over the Edge" PPV is now available there..

Saw a interview with Stephanie McMahon discussing that as well as PPV that will have chris Benoit in them

DTV has always been more pro wrestling than Dish,so this comes as no surprise to me.Dish refused to carry TNA when they were a weekly $9.95 ppv show.DTV had it from the start.As far as tv contracts,Vince will get one,I'm 100% certain of that.He may not get his asking price but,I'd be willing to bet it won't be too far off.Raw still draws strong ratings,hard for a cable network to pass that up.The on demand argument doesn't fly either,did they forget how many folks own and use dvrs?

This itself is sad when it comes to their employee's.
In the 40 years that I've worked, I've never had President's day off.

Out here on the Left Coast, most of us don't get Columbus Day or most of the other "Bank Holidays" either.

What is sad is having all these "Sales Events" on days where we're supposed to be celebrating and commemorating people or events. That said, I'm not sure what the deal is with having a Veteran's Day (formerly "Armistice Day" in celebration of the Armistice of WWI), Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day when Armed Forces Day (the one that few get time off to celebrate) would seem to cover the bases.

Armed forces Day is not actually a holiday and it is younger tha the other events.

And that is access. there are likely others who have access but for whatever reason do not hae broadband.

Given the state of Professional Wrestling, the timing is awful. Maybe not NASCAR Hot Pass awful, but awful nonetheless.
Wrestling has a ton to compete with these days, in addition to the issues regarding drug abuse and wrestler health not being allowed to be ignored anymore.

I think the WWE has entered into an odd faux kayfabe stage where the lines between the real world and scripting are a bit hard to separate, though mainly at the upper end. They have a good deal of talent, but badly need to restore a tag team division. Oh... and showing some wrestling on Raw or Smackdown wouldn't be a bad idea either.

You really wanna know what WWE needs?One word...Competition!Since the buyout of WCW,WWE has been on the decline.WWE always tends to get complacent when they don't have anyone pushing them.I'm hoping Jeff Jarrett can actually pull it off this time,but chances are it'll never be more than a pimple on McMahon's butt.

I am hearing NBCU is upset at WWE for using airtime on their shows to advertise and promote the WWE Network. The network will take eyes away from NBCU especially with them airing RAW, Smackdown and NXT after they air on USA and SYFI because it makes these shows available on Demand, meaning people will not have to watch live anymore.

In addition WWE is seeking somewhere between 2 and 3 times more for NBC to continue airing their programming. I think this is a big mistake by the WWE.

Now DISH dropping the WWE PPV's I also think is a Mistake as it will be taking away WWE events from those who could never subscribe to the WWE Network even if they wanted to. Out of all the WWE fans out there, the ammount of them which have the broadband needed to make it work is small and they will rely on their cable or satellite providers to bring them the PPV's. IN addition their PPV's are some of the highest grossing PPV's that any satellite company airs. I am not sure why DISH is upset at the WWE since the WWE offered them the WWE Network last year as a premium service.

Now you might remember that DIRECTV made noise about dropping the WWE PPV's as well, but I am hearing that as much as DIRECTV wants to, they can't drop the PPV's as the WWE PPV's are licensed to sports bars, restaurants and big chains such as Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings via DIRECTV. It is unknown when those contracts expire.

It is my opinion that sometime in the future you will see the live WWE Network Channel available on DISH and DIRECTV for $9.99 a month (Or more since they can advertise you can get it without broadband.) and then everyone will be happy again.

Thats the only problem for Directv is the sports bars. Dish is not in very many sports bars and therefore only has to deal with consumers.

But with all that said, the commercial contracts are seperate from the residential contracts. So its possible they could offer WWE to sports bars and NOT residential customers.

I think the point here is to force the online channel to go away.

Not for anything but $9.99 for online streaming, VS $50 for a PPV, people will get creative and figure out how to stream to their TV>

But with all that said, the commercial contracts are seperate from the residential contracts. So its possible they could offer WWE to sports bars and NOT residential customers.

I think the point here is to force the online channel to go away.

Not for anything but $9.99 for online streaming, VS $50 for a PPV, people will get creative and figure out how to stream to their TV>

It'll be dead simple to stream to a TV when it's released as is. One of the things that WWE has advertised is that it will be available on the XBox 360 & One along with the PS4 and I believe Roku as well. So simply get one of those devices if you don't already have one, hook it up to your TV and you're good to go.

Dish customers may have no choice but to switch to a provider that still carries WWE PPVs, or get used to watching it online though the WWE Network after the 24th of this month. but for Elimination Chamber, we Dish customers may have to go to a sports bar or a friends house who has a different provider with WWE PPVs still on the lineup. or spend the money for this sunday's PPV to WWE.com and watch the PPV though the WWE App, WWE.com, though select Internet ready TVs that has WWE streaming available and though your X-Box 360 and PS3 or PS4. so get used to watch WWE PPVs on the WWE Network. because the WWE seems to want to go iPPV only. and the internet option is not a good option if you are on a data cap or on a very slow provider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts