UPDATED - New Dish Pricing Info!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For a current customer with 2 or more dvr's, jumping to Direct is probably going to end up making you lose money, as you give up a ton of first year savings by having to pay that upfront fee for the second dvr. I am sure Charlie is aware and ready for that.

He is probably not ready for how much more attractive this makes some of the Cable outlets, because of the bundling discounts.

I started building at DIRECTV too, but all I get to see is the amount of the first months bill with the discounts. Where can you see how much it is gonna be when the discounts are up? Besides I went with the premier package and two HD DVR's, since I have a 722 and a 622 now, and the 2nd HD DVR there I would have to shed out $199 for starters just to get what I got now. I've been on their page before and built for comparison, but it used to show you better what you have to expect. This page is confusing and Dish Networks today is no better. Where did the package/channel comparison sheet go they used to have?

Once you build it there's a place where you can see your monthly bill for every one of the first 24 months - just pick one past the 12th month and it will show you.

I redid my calculations of pricing for DirecTV and Dish after their respective increases, and Dish is no longer cheaper. They actually end up being within a dollar of each other - but with DirecTV we'll get $26 off for 12 months plus MSG in HD.

I'm going to be contacting Dish's billing and then executive resolution team - they're going to need to come up with something pretty attractive, or it's goodbye.

Once you build it there's a place where you can see your monthly bill for every one of the first 24 months - just pick one past the 12th month and it will show you.

I redid my calculations of pricing for DirecTV and Dish after their respective increases, and Dish is no longer cheaper. They actually end up being within a dollar of each other - but with DirecTV we'll get $26 off for 12 months plus MSG in HD.

I'm going to be contacting Dish's billing and then executive resolution team - they're going to need to come up with something pretty attractive, or it's goodbye.

My problem is I need two HD DVR's, I got too used to that unfortunately, and I would have to pay them $199 for the 2nd one. This will pretty much eat up all the discounts for the first year. I playe with my brother in laws HR21 he just got not lomg ago, and I do not like the graphics and the layout of the UI. It's too cartoonish for my taste. It's probably being used to the Dish receivers too much.

My problem is I need two HD DVR's, I got too used to that unfortunately, and I would have to pay them $199 for the 2nd one. This will pretty much eat up all the discounts for the first year. I playe with my brother in laws HR21 he just got not lomg ago, and I do not like the graphics and the layout of the UI. It's too cartoonish for my taste. It's probably being used to the Dish receivers too much.

Don't forget that your bother can get you the $100 referral rebate (he get's $100 also) to help with the 2nd HD DVR fee a bit.

There has to be something more to the pricing that Scott has not found out yet. I could be wrong, but I doubt that Dish really wants to screw over their best customers and risk losing them. By best customers I mean current AEP with multiple DVRs. Like for example is there still going to be a $10 charge for HD with AEP? If that fee was eliminated, like with "cable" they could advertize free HD.

I tend to agree with you there. Didn't they give us a $3/month discount for a few months after the last raise in prices?

FIOS REPS quoted me just over a 100 bucks a month recently for 15 meg internet, phone, and tv.

Thats about what I pay for E currently.......... Although I didnt get details, since I was happy with E

so laugh if you wish with howlin haller, but if this comes true charlie will wonder why he ever listened to whoever came up with this idea

of course that does not include the equipment fees which are more than E. The internet is great though, we were able to cancel or service without etf because we kept the double play and then added wireless to it. The internet is the best part about fios.
I remember you said you had two 722ks and 625, do each control two tvs? Thats three dvrs, so at least $20 for one on fios, then $15 each for next two, and then $6X3 for sd recivers, they can share dvr with the $20 dvr, but they can only view, no live buffer or ability to set or delete recordings, and can not watch the hd content. So you would need to add $68 to your FIOS bill. How does that compare to what you will pay for E? Also the $100 package is the lower end cable, it does not have many hd channels, the extreme hd package which is comparable to classic gold is about $20 more in the triple play bundle, but they do have a hbo and movie package, all the movie channels basically for $35 which is a little less than E.

Last edited:
Currently if you don't have your 622 hooked to a phone line or broadband then there is a $5 charge added to your bill for TV2. But if you have it hooked up then you don't see anything additional on your bill. :)

Correct... which means I there is no credit that they can end. For a credit to end, I would need to be receiving the the credit.

There is a difference between removing a credit vs charging a fee.

Now we know how Charlie is paying for Eastern Arc. These PRICE INCREASES! Also think of those that do not subscribe to locals and will now be charged for them. They get another $5 price increase! Think of all of those subscribers that are going to demand an upgrade of their satellite dish to get locals. I wonder if they will give a $5 credit for those that have no line of site to local channels? I guess those with the Welcome Package at $10 per month will now be forced to pay $15? No more $10 Welcome Package?

Actually if DISH doesn't carry your locals you are supposed to get a 5.00 credit. I read that in one of these threads. IF you have AEP it will go down to 99.99 and if no locals you will be charged for top 250 + 4 premiums and only pay 97.99 a month. As for the welcome pack I don't know about forcing you to take locals. It isn't widely talked about and it isn't even on the website. MY aunt has it but she has locals anyway and pays 14.99 a month.

Last edited:
Downgrade and return my 622 is the plan if the speculation in the many threads on this topic comes true.

Is there any advantage to me buying a 211 (k) fee wise over leasing one? I will add the EHD back and use the 500 gb seagate drive I have laying around here someplace.

Buying vs leasing is a big argument that no one can say definitively what is right. I buy my receivers because I like to own them and trade them in for new ones at an online retailer that I have used for years. I can sell them on E-bay if I want to. I also like it that I am not committed to DISH for anything. I can sub to the lowest programming pack I want or just premiums . IF you don't want the hassel of trying to get an upgrade from DISH , you can buy one. What ever is easiest for your situation is what I advise.

I started building at DIRECTV too, but all I get to see is the amount of the first months bill with the discounts. Where can you see how much it is gonna be when the discounts are up? Besides I went with the premier package and two HD DVR's, since I have a 722 and a 622 now, and the 2nd HD DVR there I would have to shed out $199 for starters just to get what I got now. I've been on their page before and built for comparison, but it used to show you better what you have to expect. This page is confusing and Dish Networks today is no better. Where did the package/channel comparison sheet go they used to have?

When you are building to the right it says your montly savings, which is your price after the promo

I also buy everything. You can buy a brand new 211k for $145 on ebay. I sell my old stuff on ebay and rarely lose money and often make money.

The idea of switching out 722/622s for 211ks with external hard drives or 612s is looking better all the time.

HD Duo HD Duo HD Duo Duo Duo
Receiver Number 1 2 3 4 5
Extra Receiver fee 0 7 7 5 5
DVR fee 0 0 0 0 0
TV 2 fee 0 0 0 0 0
Old Total 0 7 7 5 5 24

New Total 2.01 17 17 14 14 64.01

My bill will be going up $40 a month or $480 per year. Just for stupid fees. The HD duo's are going up 10 bucks each and the Duo's 9 bucks each (as I had the DVR fee waived and phone line hooked in). Then only a $2 DVR fee net (since I'll be getting the $3.99 credit for the AEP). I plan to call at least twice per month to complain about this crap. Nice to know my business is so much appreciated.

Man editing sucks.

Voyagerbob

211 vs 612 on price ....

211 $7 per month + $40 EHD fee + cost of EHD
612 $10 per month

Takes about a year to make up for the $3 price difference on the EHD fee and another three years to make up for the EHD so that is a total of four years. Is it really worth getting a 211 vs the 612? Well, if you got an EHD for the 211 you could net additional storage.

To top it off, the 612 has two tuners and you can record two things at the same time.

I wonder how many people, such as myself, has put their dual tv output receivers (522/625/622/722) into single user mode seeing how it does not cost anything more than a single tuner receiver since the phone line is hooked up? That is NOT an option for me now as I am NOT paying $7 more per month for the luxery to having a dual tuner. They better swap my receivers out for 612's or I will look at other options.

What other DVR options are out there? I am sure there are some where you can connect to your computer although I hear there are restrictions for the HD output.

211 vs 612 on price ....

211 $7 per month + $40 EHD fee + cost of EHD
612 $10 per month

Takes about a year to make up for the $3 price difference on the EHD fee and another three years to make up for the EHD so that is a total of four years. Is it really worth getting a 211 vs the 612? Well, if you got an EHD for the 211 you could net additional storage.

To top it off, the 612 has two tuners and you can record two things at the same time.

I wonder how many people, such as myself, has put their dual tv output receivers (522/625/622/722) into single user mode seeing how it does not cost anything more than a single tuner receiver since the phone line is hooked up? That is NOT an option for me now as I am NOT paying $7 more per month for the luxery to having a dual tuner. They better swap my receivers out for 612's or I will look at other options.

What other DVR options are out there? I am sure there are some where you can connect to your computer although I hear there are restrictions for the HD output.

If you have OTA hooked up you can record 3 things at once on the 612, and two on the 211k.

Some of you guys did say that Charlie would raise the price if he lost the Tivo suit. Look what happened!

Just look at all the nickel and diming he has been doing more and more over the past several years. He knew he could not add additional items on the bill to get even more fees as that would look too bad so he had to combine them all into one fee and try to justify it. He tries to make it not look so bad by saying no programming price increases when in reality he knew if he would have raised programming prices on top of these bull crap fees that it would have caused an even larger enrage of madness.

Some of you guys did say that Charlie would raise the price if he lost the Tivo suit. Look what happened!

Just look at all the nickel and diming he has been doing more and more over the past several years. He knew he could not add additional items on the bill to get even more fees as that would look too bad so he had to combine them all into one fee and try to justify it. He tries to make it not look so bad by saying no programming price increases when in reality he knew if he would have raised programming prices on top of these bull crap fees that it would have caused an even larger enrage of madness.

I was thinking the same thing, those extra fees for the DVR could be going to pay for the lawsuit which was about the DVRs. We can call it the Tivo tax.

The Tivo money was put away a long time ago.

I do have a gut feeling though that Charlie knows he might lose.

The funny thing is, we are not going to be charged any additional DVR fees. He knew he could not increase those (he will increase it to $7 next year since Directv is going to this year). He had to increase something else.

He knew that even if he raised the prices that he would be in-line with what cable charges, maybe less, since one DVR fee gives you DVR fee for two rooms. The thing is, Directv only has ONE DVR FEE PERIOD!

I have heard things about media center the past few years. How does that compare with Dish DVR?

was hoping hd fees and packages would be eliminated this go round but oh well, always next time

they should drop the dvr fee too and just go with a fee for additional receivers

was hoping hd fees and packages would be eliminated this go round but oh well, always next time

I am sure that they will raise those fees next year. They will just raise the package prices and EVERY one will be paying for the "free" HD that we will all be getting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.