Updates on the Launch of DIRECTV 10

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What I'm getting at is that the 40mgbs your mentioning is probably the max amount you can get to your home, and it also would need to cover the High Speed internet at your home as well, if your refering to using one provider to get both services.

Either way, 40 should be a great amount to have into the home.
Did they happen to say how much it would cost to do that p/m. ?

Jimbo

I'm not talking about internet. I'm talking about HD channels for the HD competition war coming up. Getting rid of the 75 analogs gives any cable company room for 150 full bitrate full resolution 1920x1080i HD channels.... how many of those does DishNetwork or DirecTV have? ZERO!

I'm not talking about internet. I'm talking about HD channels for the HD competition war coming up. Getting rid of the 75 analogs gives any cable company room for 150 full bitrate full resolution 1920x1080i HD channels.... how many of those does DishNetwork or DirecTV have? ZERO!

excuse me but

can you please get back on-topic? What does any of this have to do with a sat launch date?

What is D10 ? :D

The DirecTV 10 satellite is the next satellite that D*'s going to launch that's supposed to have the capacity to expand national HD programming and more HD local into local channels. The latest word is a planned for launch in June of this year.

i'm not going to scan through these posts. but i suggest if you have drifted away from discussion of the directv satellite 10 discussion, please get back on topic. thanks.

Toledo, Ohio local HD

I am new to the HD world. I saw the list of upcoming locals, Toledo, Ohio, being one of them, and was wondering when the Local HD stations would be active? Maybe July, August? Currently I have a omnidirectional antenna on the roof but some of my local stations keep dropping out. Like the Red Wings on NBC Sunday. Sucks watching it on SD. Thanks.

I'll believe it when it's actually there.
Your telling me that they are dedicating 40 mg to ONLY TV SIGNALS.
Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Your also expecting me to believe that if they get rid of 75 analog channels, that gives them enough bandwidth for 150 HD full res channels.
That to is very unlikely, seeing it is usually 4 to1 the other way around, lose 4 analog get 1 HD.

Jimbo

I am new to the HD world. I saw the list of upcoming locals, Toledo, Ohio, being one of them, and was wondering when the Local HD stations would be active? Maybe July, August? Currently I have a omnidirectional antenna on the roof but some of my local stations keep dropping out. Like the Red Wings on NBC Sunday. Sucks watching it on SD. Thanks.

IF your in the Toledo area, fine tune your antenna, I have NO trouble picking up Toledo channels, also am able to turn antenna and pick up the Detroit channels as well all OTA.
You OTA will look much better than the D* delivered channels will, at least in the beginning.

Never get rid of the OTA antanna, works great in bad weather if the D* signal is out for a storm.

Jimbo

I'll believe it when it's actually there.
Your telling me that they are dedicating 40 mg to ONLY TV SIGNALS.
Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Your also expecting me to believe that if they get rid of 75 analog channels, that gives them enough bandwidth for 150 HD full res channels.
That to is very unlikely, seeing it is usually 4 to1 the other way around, lose 4 analog get 1 HD.

Jimbo

I never said they are dedicating a 40 megabit digital stream to a TV signal.

You are wrong in your 4:1 ratio. Do some research on the throughput of a 6mhz wide QAM256 carrier.

This is what I am saying: take a typical cable system that is digital simulcasting with 75 analog channels wasting away. Turn off the 75 analog channels. Pass out digital boxes to your customers that need them. Now you have 75 6mhz carriers sitting idle. Fire up some QAM256 encoders on them. Now you have room for 150+ HD channels. With proper usage and balancing of the channel layout in the system you have room for even more.

I never said they are dedicating a 40 megabit digital stream to a TV signal.

You are wrong in your 4:1 ratio. Do some research on the throughput of a 6mhz wide QAM256 carrier.

This is what I am saying: take a typical cable system that is digital simulcasting with 75 analog channels wasting away. Turn off the 75 analog channels. Pass out digital boxes to your customers that need them. Now you have 75 6mhz carriers sitting idle. Fire up some QAM256 encoders on them. Now you have room for 150+ HD channels. With proper usage and balancing of the channel layout in the system you have room for even more.

I must have mis read the quotes or someone else threw that out there, this thread is getting too long to keep going back, Sorry if I mis quoted and thought it was you.

Curious, what would it cost the big cable companies and the Ma and Pop cable companies to do this type of thing, I can see the Big boys possibly doing this, but not all the cable companies.

Jimbo

I must have mis read the quotes or someone else threw that out there, this thread is getting too long to keep going back, Sorry if I mis quoted and thought it was you.

Curious, what would it cost the big cable companies and the Ma and Pop cable companies to do this type of thing, I can see the Big boys possibly doing this, but not all the cable companies.

Jimbo

Probably much cheaper than the KA band project at DirecTV ;)

Type of Antenna

IF your in the Toledo area, fine tune your antenna, I have NO trouble picking up Toledo channels, also am able to turn antenna and pick up the Detroit channels as well all OTA.
You OTA will look much better than the D* delivered channels will, at least in the beginning.

Never get rid of the OTA antanna, works great in bad weather if the D* signal is out for a storm.

Jimbo

Hey Jimbo, I am at the border of Michigan/Ohio in Toledo. What type of Antenna do you have? I cannot get anything Detroit, about 45 miles away.

Frankly I'm shocked nobody responded to this. There were several that said that a date in June was a dream. June 20th, so we should have additions popping in around August.

Frankly I'm shocked nobody responded to this. There were several that said that a date in June was a dream. June 20th, so we should have additions popping in around August.

IMO - those were E* shills HOPING it was a dream.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)