Upgrade Lagging HR34 to HR44 or Service Call and hope to get a HR44 as replacement?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaimeace

Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Texas
I have a 2 year old genie that is getting slower by the day. Remote is slow, guide is slow, changing channels is slow. Cleared out pretty much everything and still slow. Did a reset and still no luck. Should I call Directv and upgrade or submit a service call and hope that they will swap it out with a newer HR44. The HR34 was always slow to begin with. Not sure if the HR44 is any faster but being that the box is newer, I would think it's also faster. Does anyone know how Directv addresses hardware issues? Will they supply you with a new box or refurbished box of same model? Any advice from past experiences?

Only way to get a HR44 is if there's something wrong with the HR34, and a service call is placed, with a truck roll tech coming over to swap it out, That's if they brought it with them and they carry the HR44 in your area, But if they ship you the replacement, you'll most likely get another HR34.

I have a 2 year old genie that is getting slower by the day. Remote is slow, guide is slow, changing channels is slow. Cleared out pretty much everything and still slow. Did a reset and still no luck. Should I call Directv and upgrade or submit a service call and hope that they will swap it out with a newer HR44. The HR34 was always slow to begin with. Not sure if the HR44 is any faster but being that the box is newer, I would think it's also faster. Does anyone know how Directv addresses hardware issues? Will they supply you with a new box or refurbished box of same model? Any advice from past experiences?

its possible you could get a refurbished box.

FYI it's possible the slowness in your HR34 is nothing to do with the box. It could be overloaded due to IR interference, or internet issues.

The interference is legit. It cured a lot of my issues. But my old HR34 is still a lot slower, more lagging, and buggier than I'd expect.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The interference is legit. It cured a lot of my issues. But my old HR34 is still a lot slower, more lagging, and buggier than I'd expect.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
What type of interference did you find and how did you solve it ?

Nope, IR has bigger issues. Even your TV (backlight) can interfere.

Nope, IR has bigger issues. Even your TV (backlight) can interfere.
Yep...In fact that auto backlight feature which helps the tv adjust to the ambient light in the room is a big PITA for IR remotes.
One thing were told was to not inform the customer that we woukld fix the problem( on service call) but no tell them how. Then without the customer looking, turn off the back light feature.
The reason....The select number of people who are "feature junkies" who believe that but for the existence of just one added feature on their tv( one that if they did not use would not care) the price they paid for the tv would be Some dollar amount less. So if the feature was disabled, they would get mad and say "Hey! I paid extra for that! Turn it back on!!"
One could attempt to inform the customer that the tv would be $1000 with it or without it. But they won't buy that.
Anyway, Yes, there are features on some tv that will kick and IR remotes butt.
Some types of wireless routers and even cable internet modems as well. Wireless alarm systems some times.

This problem is only with LCD TVs, not LED ones which have a completely different backlight system. It's actually the backlight power supply. Switching the DirectV box and remote to RF solves the problem. If you don't have an RF remote, get one from DirecTV or from eBay, Solid Signal etc

All dvr boxes will start to run slower when their hard drives are nearly full as well. I'm not sure what you did as this was like a week ago but just to throw my 2c in. If you reset all and wipe the box it will be plenty faster (not to be compared with the speed of a 44) but start deleting stuff and that should help a little as well.

This problem is only with LCD TVs, not LED ones which have a completely different backlight system. It's actually the backlight power supply. Switching the DirectV box and remote to RF solves the problem. If you don't have an RF remote, get one from DirecTV or from eBay, Solid Signal etc

I have an LED TV and I am having these issues.

Clearing the NVRAM can speed receivers back up also.
Go to channel 1.
Wait 5-10 seconds
On remote, press RED / RED / BLUE / BLUE / YELLOW / GREEN.
See message, "Observe NVRAM/Flash is cleared" on bottom of screen. It may be hard to read.

Clearing the NVRAM can speed receivers back up also.
Go to channel 1.
Wait 5-10 seconds
On remote, press RED / RED / BLUE / BLUE / YELLOW / GREEN.
See message, "Observe NVRAM/Flash is cleared" on bottom of screen. It may be hard to read.

does this have any negative effects on my settings/recordings?

thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.