Upgrade Options

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
My neighbor just bought a nice 47" HD and needs to upgrade his system. He still has an older reciever with the Hughes logo on it. Ne just needs the basic HD programming and I think his wife would really like a DVR. He likes Nascar. What would be a good setup fro him? I know he needs a new dish and everything. Thanks

He could order a HD DVR on D* web site and it would have him setup an appointment for a new dish install.

Better though is to call Directv and ask about it, often you can get a deal depending on the history of the account. You should not have to pay more than $199 in almost any circumstance. But many have gotten $99 or less if they have a good history.

Remember the upgrade will require a 2 year contract, and will add $16 in fees to their bill each month ($10 for HD, $6 for DVR). The Plus HD-DVR package costs $73/mo, or $76 starting in march. This saves $1 off the plus package and required fees.

As for receiver, you'll get whatever is on the truck, but generally it is a HR21/22/23. Only difference is the hard drive and some minor tech specs that won't make much difference. HR22 & 23 have 500gb drives, the HR21 has 320.

They are a retired couple and really aren't up on new technology. I have both, Direct and Dish but only use Direct for baseball season. I have a non-dvr HD reciever for Direct and I can't really remember what model it is. His wife bought a new VCR/DVD unit for recording and convinced her the DVR is the way to go. She bought it mostly to transfer very old VHS recordings to DVD. They have been with Direct for ever and own their very old reciever, so this will be a new experience for them. I will have to let them know about the upfront charges and hopefully they will setup an appointment a day that I am at home so I can go watch the install. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)