Upgrade to Hopper/Joey, EHD Prep?

ICBM99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2008
West Texas
Hey Guys,
The installer is coming on Wednesday, and I was planning on moving my recordings from my 722 to my EHD (older WD 1Tb), then access them from the hopper once its installed. I know some people have had issues, and was wondering if there is anything I can do to prep the move? Should I clean it up first (get rid of the junk that's on it, reformat it) then move the recordings over? My wife would be pissed if we lost a bunch of recordings.

I've got about 30 hours of HD material, how long do you think it would take to transfer all of it to the EHD? Should I do it in batches? Or all at once?

Anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks

I did it all at once from the 722ks. The only precautions I took were to make sure not to put more than 999 recordings on the EHDs and to only plat the files back directly from the EHDs on the Hopper. All the horror stories I rad around here involve attempting to restore files from the older receivers to the Hopper. There were initial,y some bugs such as the "you are not subscribed" bug early on but software updates have fixed all the issues I had and I have no problems playing back any of the older recordings.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

If it hasn't been connected to the receiver before, the 722 will insist on reformatting it before use, so be sure you don't have anything on it you want to keep.

A safe rule of thumb is to count on transfer times that are about 25% of the playback time. You'll likely get a little better tranfer rates than that.

There have been some issues transferring from the EHD to the hopper, so its probably best to plan on leaving the programs on the EHD, or at least have a few things on the EHD you don't care about yo test with.

Thanks guys. I removed some of the older junk on the EHD last night to make sure there would be enough room. I should have plenty (600+ gb).

And I'll plan on leaving the recordings on the EHD, and access them as needed, rather than transfer them to the Hopper.

Thanks guys. I removed some of the older junk on the EHD last night to make sure there would be enough room. I should have plenty (600+ gb).

And I'll plan on leaving the recordings on the EHD, and access them as needed, rather than transfer them to the Hopper.

Good choice. There is little need to move programs off of the EHD back to the Hopper....

Just posted this in the ultimate hopper set up thread but it applies here as well so here you go.
I just transferred all my shows from my 722 to my EHD before install.
When the Hopper was set up it would tell my my EHD needed to be activated.
Matt with the DIRT team sent a hit to my box which fixed that problem.
However it told me there were no Shows on the EHD.
I had to power off the Hopper, unplug the EHD, re-plug the EHD and then power the Hopper back on.
Then all my shows were available.
Your millage may vary but if this info helps somebody out so they don't worry about losing their shows then it is worth posting.

Just posted this in the ultimate hopper set up thread but it applies here as well so here you go.
I just transferred all my shows from my 722 to my EHD before install.
When the Hopper was set up it would tell my my EHD needed to be activated.
Matt with the DIRT team sent a hit to my box which fixed that problem.
However it told me there were no Shows on the EHD.
I had to power off the Hopper, unplug the EHD, re-plug the EHD and then power the Hopper back on.
Then all my shows were available.
Your millage may vary but if this info helps somebody out so they don't worry about losing their shows then it is worth posting.

Not my experience at all. My EHD from the 622 was recognized with out issues. The only thing not obvious was where to find it. It appears on the DVR menu which was not intuitive and even the installer wasn't sure where to find it.

Hopper and Joey installed this morning, slight hiccup during the check switch/tuner1,2,3 test 1 of 4. An unplug got it back. Couldn't find the EHD at first, then power cycled the EHD, and the hopper found it. Looks like everything is there. Thanks for the input guys.

I had an EHD issue on the switch from the 722k to the Hopper. Matt on the DIRT team helped out, though. He sent a hit to the receiver, still didn't work. The drive had a 400GB Windows partition in addition to a 500GB Dish partition. After deleting the Windows partition, the Hopper saw the EHD right away. Strange that it wasn't a problem with the 722k, but thanks to Matt for noting that the other partition wasn't supported.

I had my Hopper installed yesterday. So far every time I turn off the Hopper and turn it back on I have to R&R my EHD for the Hopper to see it. Once I plug it back in all is fine. I hope this doesn't continue.

My Hopper was installed this morning, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to view programs off my EHD. I even called Dish and asked Tech Support, but they told me I couldn't view directly from EHD. He nicely walked me through how to copy programs from EHD to Hopper, and I pretended to play along - but knew not to actually try it because of problems others had reported.

Later while playing around with Search, I found if I set the source to My Recordings (yellow button), made sure there was no Theme Filter selected (blue button) and cleared any text from the Search box, my EHD contents showed up in the results area. Clicking on a show lets me watch it directly from the EHD without having to transfer.

Is this how it works for everyone?

I had my Hopper installed yesterday. So far every time I turn off the Hopper and turn it back on I have to R&R my EHD for the Hopper to see it. Once I plug it back in all is fine. I hope this doesn't continue.

This has been known to be happening, and word on the street is that they are working on it. For now I've left my EHD in a place easily accessible, so I can power cycle it as needed. It also happens every night after the 3:00 update. Hopefully they'll figure it out...soon.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts