Upgrade without Committment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DLS

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Herndon, VA
Got a call a few days ago from DirecTV. The woman claimed that I could get an upgrade from my H10 to an H20/H21 and 5 LNB dish without a committment. I was about to go to FIOS, but this seemed to be to too good to be true. My wife is a sports fanatic and the opportunity to get the college sports packages in HD is very appealing ( I previously cancelled them because of no HD coverage). I told the woman to call me back in a week. Does this seem like it might be a legitimate offer or just a verbal sales pitch without any merit?

Regards, Dan

It could be legit! But I wouldn't count on it. With that leased equipment ,they want a commitment. I've been told things from 1 CSR and then something different from another ,on many occasions. So just be aware. You'll know for sure when you go to activate the new receiver.

2 year commitment - no question about it. The sales rep was obviously suffering from a Cranial Rectal Inversion.

Not necessarily - Do you have any sports subs like NFLST or NBALP? This upcoming season you will need an mpeg 4 receiver to get that programming in HD. They might be getting proactive about this switch.:)

Not necessarily - Do you have any sports subs like NFLST or NBALP? This upcoming season you will need an mpeg 4 receiver to get that programming in HD. They might be getting proactive about this switch.:)

And if a tech comes out to do the conversion for you he'll make you sign a lease agreement. If they ship the receiver to you, they'll probably just make an entry in the computer.

Got a call a few days ago from DirecTV. The woman claimed that I could get an upgrade from my H10 to an H20/H21 and 5 LNB dish without a committment. I was about to go to FIOS, but this seemed to be to too good to be true. My wife is a sports fanatic and the opportunity to get the college sports packages in HD is very appealing ( I previously cancelled them because of no HD coverage). I told the woman to call me back in a week. Does this seem like it might be a legitimate offer or just a verbal sales pitch without any merit?

Regards, Dan

If you wanted it, you should have taken the offer the first time on the phone, I doubt that they will cal back next week.

That said, there is a 2 year commitment with all advanced equipment, I would be surprised if they gave you a free commitment card...

Jimbo

fwiw, you use to be able to look on your account and see that you have a commitment and how long on each, I don't think you can any more.
This I would find to be useful info, but they seem to hide it now.

Jimbo

Thanks folks. Your responses seem to confirm my initial doubts about the validity of the offer. I have been a customer for about 10 years and for most of that time have had everything plus multiple sports subscriptions. I even had the old DirecTV DSL service until it folded several years ago. If they don't call back with an offer that can be confirmed, I will probably end up with FIOS within a few months.

Regards, Dan

They gave me 2 HR21s a while back with no new commitment. I wasn't too far into my latest "2 years" so it didn't matter much. I am a Sunday Ticket sub and they didn't want to hear me complain when September comes and I can't get the HD version of the games. I did call back and check the commitment and it had not changed.

fwiw, you use to be able to look on your account and see that you have a commitment and how long on each, I don't think you can any more.
This I would find to be useful info, but they seem to hide it now.

Jimbo

I looked at my account recently, as I just upgraded an old MPEG2 HD receiver to a H21. There was an interesting line called:

No Annual Commitment $0.00

I know my 2 years are up on my H20 and I have about 11 months on my HR 15. I just assumed that I would have 2 years on the H21 -- but maybe not?

An additional update. DirecTV (a different representative) did call back a few minutes ago to see if I had made up my mind. She confirmed that this would be a new receiver without a committment. So I scheduled an installation appointment for the afternoon of Friday, 27 June. I will take off work to be home so that my wife doesn't have to deal with the situation. If the installer wants me to sign paperwork that agrees to a committment, I will politely decline and let him go to his next appointment before he touches anything.

Yes, I would like to keep DirecTV, but aside from a $10 discount for 6 months when I originally upgraded to HD, I have never asked for or received anything from them in the approximately 10 years I have been with them. I have purchased and installed all of my equipment. I have no qualms about expecting them to honor this deal.

Regards, Dan

An additional update. DirecTV (a different representative) did call back a few minutes ago to see if I had made up my mind. She confirmed that this would be a new receiver without a committment. So I scheduled an installation appointment for the afternoon of Friday, 27 June. I will take off work to be home so that my wife doesn't have to deal with the situation. If the installer wants me to sign paperwork that agrees to a committment, I will politely decline and let him go to his next appointment before he touches anything.

Yes, I would like to keep DirecTV, but aside from a $10 discount for 6 months when I originally upgraded to HD, I have never asked for or received anything from them in the approximately 10 years I have been with them. I have purchased and installed all of my equipment. I have no qualms about expecting them to honor this deal.

Regards, Dan

Usually you don't see the paperwork till after the install is done.

I also received the same call because the call center that called me thought I still had my old MPEG2 Tivo DVR. I had recently upgraded to the HR21. Anyway, I asked the rep some questions about why they were calling and offering this free/no-commitment upgrade and was told that D* is trying to replace all MPEG2 HD receivers because the NFL Sunday Ticket (NFLST) will be MPEG4 this season. We'll see.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)