UPLINK Activity For the week of Jan 01 06 CES WEEK!

Doesn't Denver have some digital OTA problems? I seem to remember people bitching over at AVS about Denver and not being able to get some locals OTA.

Also, something first discussed in the pub area... Chicago HD locals (mpeg4) are reportedly testing at 148 for the time being.

Looks like dish is going full steam ahead with the HD LIL.

rdinkel said:
Maybe they should do HD LILs first for Dish, Texas!!!!!!! I understand that is the town with the highest percentage of viewers!
That would be great! Their LiLs are out of Dallas. That means I could get them too. Everything here is O&O except for WFAA (which has the lowest powered transmitter).

Some pictures that Scott G. has loaded from CES shows a sign mentioning 50 DMA's will be broadcasting the Big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) locals. It mentions the other DMA's will get their HD locals with antenna (if your lucky!).

I guess they aren't shooting for the DNS strategy...just offer the top 50 DMA's and be done with it.

it's not the top 50, it's 50, and HD DNS will also be available to those who qualify

goaliebob99 said:
Who wants to take bets on when voom 15 and espn 2 will offically launch.. Im betting within the next 24,48 hrs.. :)

I sure hope so. I also hope they are MPEG 2 so I can actually watch them. I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow right?

goaliebob99 said:
Who wants to take bets on when voom 15 and espn 2 will offically launch.. Im betting within the next 24,48 hrs.. :)

How about Universal? I think they will make a big announcement tomorrow that they are also adding it as the Olympics are coming soon.

For some reason UHD wasnt on the lists at the Dish Booth that Scott took pictures of. Unless its a huge surprise, I wouldn't expect to see it this week. Its not uplinked at the moment.

HokieEngineer said:
Doesn't Denver have some digital OTA problems? I seem to remember people bitching over at AVS about Denver and not being able to get some locals OTA.

In spite of the cute answers, yes we have big problems with OTA in Denver. The new tower has been tied up for years with lawsuits. ABC is transmitting with very low power using a coathanger on top of their studios. People 2 miles away cannot receive it. NBC and CBS are transmitting at reduced power from a building downtown. Reception is spotty around the city and not possible over 40 miles away. Fox and WB are pretty good.

The tower situation is a real mess and will not likely be resolved before the NTSC cutoff date, so most people in the DMA do not have a good solution for some time to come. Right now COMCAST is kicking butt here.

OTA towers and transmitters are NOT going to make any difference to using Denver for HD LiL.

There just might :rolleyes: be enough fiber running around the #2 high-tech center in the country to avoid having to get the feeds OTA. :D

The Big Wood said:
Some pictures that Scott G. has loaded from CES shows a sign mentioning 50 DMA's will be broadcasting the Big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) locals. It mentions the other DMA's will get their HD locals with antenna (if your lucky!).

I guess they aren't shooting for the DNS strategy...just offer the top 50 DMA's and be done with it.
No. 50 but not top 50.

DWS44 said:
...and actually it says that it'll only be in some of those 50 that are listed.
It makes no sense to list a DMA that they'll put nothing up in.

I think the "some" means at least one HD local in each dma they listed.

I know most afilliatres in Vermont (and Burlington is listed) won't even be broadcasting digital OTA for another year and only one or two stations have a direct digital link to a cable company, so it's not likely they have a means of getting Dish a digital feed yet.

StevenD said:
That would be great! Their LiLs are out of Dallas. That means I could get them too. Everything here is O&O except for WFAA (which has the lowest powered transmitter).

WFAA is not a lower power transmitter by any means. Its my strongest channel strength of any OTA channel I get in Flower Mound. It just happens that the its Digital Channel 9, in the VHF range, whereas all the other digital channels are in the UHF range... so it requires an antenna that gets both frequencies.

Edit: Fixed VHF/UHF reference.

Last edited: