Uplink Activity Report - 11/10/2008 1:02pm - 228 changes

What's weird to me is that some of the channels in my DMA are going to be
avalible in MPEG 4 HD and some are in MPEG 4 SD. Why's that?

With MPEG 4 SD, Dish can get a lot more channels on each transponder than they can with MPEG 2 SD. That is Why.

Also A Dish 500 set for 110 and 119 is 9 degree spacing, where 72 and 77 is only 5 degrees spacing, so a Dish 500 will not work on EA.

jax

The Jacksonville locals show up on this report as being on 77W. Does that mean that for me to see my locals in HD I need a dish pointed at 77 or will they also add them to 61.5 or 110 so that everybody won't need a dish/repoint? Especially like me i have a HD and SD receiver so if i did EA no MPEG2 progams?

Also A Dish 500 set for 110 and 119 is 9 degree spacing, where 72 and 77 is only 5 degrees spacing, so a Dish 500 will not work on EA.

There's a guy on the other site who claims to be using a single Dish 500 for 61.5 and 72.

There's a guy on the other site who claims to be using a single Dish 500 for 61.5 and 72.

You don't need to go to another site. Scott Greczkowski has confirmed that a Dish 500 works with 61.5 and 72.7, even though the spacing is not ideal. What people are more concerned with is getting 72.7 and 77, especially with it coming in on the same LNB (hence, interference)!

You don't need to go to another site. Scott Greczkowski has confirmed that a Dish 500 works with 61.5 and 72.7, even though the spacing is not ideal. What people are more concerned with is getting 72.7 and 77, especially with it coming in on the same LNB (hence, interference)!
Are there any reports of this "interference" actually happening?

Wow... living in Cincinnati I sure hope they mirror those locals on 110,129 as those seem to be what I get.

I am soooo disappointed that Dish would choose to put HD locals on a satellite location where absolutely none of their existing customer base has a dish pointing, and in such a way that many of us would now require a fourth satellite location.

I will not be getting HD locals via Dish for a looooooooooong time now. I also happen to have LOS issues to 77º, and I subscribe to Dish Latino which means I still need to keep 110/119. I also want to keep Classic Arts Showcase which means I need 61.5º so might as well use that for HD. Now a Dish for 77 (since LOS will not allow a single dish for me for both locations).

Hell with it!

BTW WKRC (CBS/CW) is not in HD because they insist that Dish carry the CW sub-channel and Dish seems to think this is unreasonable.

See ya
Tony

I am soooo disappointed that Dish would choose to put HD locals on a satellite location where absolutely none of their existing customer base has a dish pointing, and in such a way that many of us would now require a fourth satellite location.

I will not be getting HD locals via Dish for a looooooooooong time now. I also happen to have LOS issues to 77º, and I subscribe to Dish Latino which means I still need to keep 110/119. I also want to keep Classic Arts Showcase which means I need 61.5º so might as well use that for HD. Now a Dish for 77 (since LOS will not allow a single dish for me for both locations).

Hell with it!

BTW WKRC (CBS/CW) is not in HD because they insist that Dish carry the CW sub-channel and Dish seems to think this is unreasonable.

See ya
Tony

It is not a surprise, they have been saying 77 for locals for a long time. There are going to be some special case people like yourself that want a lot of satellite locations. It is possible to rig up a receiver or 2 with 5 satellites (DPP44+DP21) for your situation. It looks like you could do 110/119/61.5/77 with 3 dishs and a single DPP44 though.

I have LOS issues at 77º. It's not that I can't. It's just such a PITA to do. I will have to run an underground cable to the back of my yard behind the stand of trees and put my dish there with a clear view of the entire sky. I wont be doing it for a loooooong time.

Dish cannot add an extra HD channel for every one of the hundreds of HD local channels that they are adding. They simply don't have the space.

I tend to think that particular sort of blackmail "you must carry these extra channels in that particular package" is the biggest roadblock to Dish adding channels.

Um, if his CBS HD is carrying CW as a sub-channel, then his CW isn't HD in that market.

We have the same thing going on (allegedly) in the Scranton market regarding Fox and MyNetwork. I don't know why they don't just squeeze in MyNetwork SD, except that neither Comcast nor DirecTV was required to do so to get Fox HD -- but for that reason, if they want to fight it they should fight it via lawsuit rather than just letting it go and not carrying Fox HD.

Well, Dish has to carry any SD local under "must carry" rules - the channel must simply forego asking for extra money, and make do with advertising income, and then Dish must carry the SD channel.

So, either the CW channel is HD, or they also want Dish to pay extra for the CW SD channel. :rolleyes: