Uplink Activity Report - 12/4/2008 4:02am - 67 changes

These are just maps, not actual uplinks, right?

The reason I ask...if they were real, there's separate NEW feeds for VS and Golf...meanwhile the old one is still on. That will open up a slot eventually.

Or are bandwidth not an big issue right now? I haven't been keeping up. Seems like we used to keep count of possible open slots.

Also...more stupid conspiracy stuff. We know the 9400s channel order means nothing anymore. And these TMP channels look like they're filling in the blank spots. But then they skip 9450, 9457, and 9472. Are there already TMP channels there?

DISH Is WAY overdue for a channel realignment. I don't think I've ever seen them do a major one. Seems like in the early days of DirecTV, they did several. I know most people don't care, but I studied programming in college and we used to analyze this stuff even on a 37 channel cable system. Seems like the more channels there are, the more important it is. I can't believe they actually moved something to make room for Toon West, and still misplaced it.

Did a quick scan of them and they do look better. Transformers is on HBO (300) now.
tigerfan said:
Better!!

A lot cleaner picture with less noise. I have both Dish and Direct and I think the MPEG4 hd Dish are on par with Direct.
Remember these posts when people later complain about reduced or poorer picture quality because of MPEG4 and lower bitrate.

After being promised in September, we finally get all mpeg4 hd. This is good news!

Also good news that there are 7 temp channels in the 9000's categories even though that's less than what i'm hoping for.

I'm pretty sure you'll see a couple of Showtimes. I'd love to see E! and hopefully we'll see a mix of the Fox and Viacom channels.

FYI... the MPEG4 HD's added to 110 are running around 1mbps, which means they are probably a slate. So the HD on 110 is getting quite a bit of bandwidth since the TMP channels aren't pulling much bandwidth. They should look awesome right now! ;)

I still maintain MPEG4 on Dish looks Different than MPEG2, not better but different. It's hard to describe the quality, some aspects are better than the previous MPEG2 compression while others (such as color saturation / overall muddiness) look worse. Even the 1080P VOD doesn't look perfect, and yes I have a full 1080P set that is calibrated and I have multiple HD sources to do (subjective) tests/comparisons.

That being said, I still appreciate the ability for them to better compress and (potentially) add more channels that deliver 16:9 / HD programming.

DirecTV uses Ka TPs. Yes they only put 5 per Ka TP, but simply comparing their Ka TPs to Ku TPs is apples and oranges.
I occasionally use C Band, but that does not make the picture better or worse. Only putting 5 HD channels instead of 7 on the same bandwidth channel would make a difference if the FEC was the same.

Could be any of these.but some may have been added already
AMC HD
BET HD
Comedy Central HD
CMT HD
Fox Business Network
Fox News Channel HD
IFC HD
MoreMAX HD
MTV HD
Nickelodeon HD
Showtime 2 HD
Showtime West HD
Speed HD
TMC HD
VH1 HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)